Warrior Tank Question

I’m leveling through dungeons tanking them at the moment, but I’m a bit confused by one thing. I try to use primarily Battle Shout to grab aggro on multiple targets (3-5+ usually) but I’m not really understanding how I should handle having a warrior DPS with Improved Battle Shout. If they pop Battle Shout, I’m not able to use it myself, but if I ask them to not use it, the whole group loses out on extra damage.

How do I handle that situation?

In general for leveling in dungeons u will find arms is the best spec. Your rotation should look something like demo shout > sweeping strikes > whirlwind. Start with your 2hand weapon equiped and swap to 1hander and a shield after your first burst for threat if your healer has trouble keeping u up. After that u can tab target sunder armor and revenge and should be able to hold threat on multiple mobs with ease.

Wait, Battle Shout generates aggro? What?

Yep. It generates threat based on how many friendlies that are on a mob’s threat table are buffed.

https://github.com/magey/classic-warrior/wiki/Threat-Mechanics#battle-shout

Sweeping Strikes > Whirlwind does generate some great initial threat on an AoE pull.

Yeah, if they have Improved Battle Shout and you don’t, then that’s a tradeoff. Typically in 5 man instances, if you’re tanking as a warrior, you’ll want to be the one applying Battle Shout.

Elite’s Warrior Tanking Guide has some pretty useful macros and general advice for warriors getting started with tanking Classic instances.

Yo homie you gonna laugh, I didn’t realize this was a classic thread slaps knee

2 Likes