Warrior leveling and tanking question

Hey, wondering if I can tank just fine as I level up in arms so I can swap to my WW axe. Or if I should really swap to prot and level up that way. Bottom line is I want to be able to jump into dungeons as a tank and I’m wondering if I can tank just fine in Arms.

Honestly you can do just about anything in this game if you min max yourself properly. I have seen priests tank and shamans tank and druids in agi gear heal. Its crazy. Pretty much all bets are off.

In my honest opinion sometimes playing with these really off meta specs can hurt your group or team. I dont wanna wait while we have to mana after every pull cause the healer has no mana pool. And i dont want to be killed because the shaman tank doesnt have good multi threat. I tend to avoid people with super off meta builds as alot of them lean into it real hard and get rude when you point out its faults or how its hurting the group. I dont insist everybody play meta but id like people to play the more viable versions of their characters.

Again everybody is free to play as they want, but i would prefer people play as intended and in a way that makes it as smooth as possible for everybody.

Having said that, You can tank in arms straight up to the lvl 55 dungeons. You can even go fury once your pretty well geared for it and can make up for the loss in prot talents. Doing it with average gear means your healers have to work overtime.

Grinding quests as prot is like eating glass laced tin foil. I hate it but i put up with it. I would not recommend it.

Bottom line just tank in arms but if you notice that its starting to become a problem with threat or mitigation consider switching to prot. Pretty much anything is viable though i dont take outliers in my group if i can help it.

You totally can! Here’s an old Classic warrior tanking guide that you may find helpful:

1 Like

Arms is great for leveling and probably the best spec for tanking til mid 50s. I also wouldn’t manipulate my gameplay around one quest weapon. WW can be upgraded mid-30s if you’re alliance, slightly later if horde.