Warlords crafted upgrades

I can’t find anything on this here or at wowhead either. I had a Steelforged Essence to upgrade WoD crafted blacksmithing items to unlock the 2nd and 3rd appearances in my bank, and I noticed today that it’s greyed out. It’s no longer available to craft in the blacksmithing tab. The extra confusing part is that I still have the r2 and r3 appearances for items i had already upgraded in my xmog tab, but I can’t find the appearances i hadn’t yet unlocked available in the unlearned tab of my xmog menu. Are these just no longer available? That would be a shame because they were some of the best looking sets in that xpac.

The devs have said they will add a way to once again be able to acquire the upgraded appearances. I do not remember them providing either any idea of what that will entail or a general timeline for when it will be implemented.

The item leveling upgrade option was removed when they added the relic of the past to the various professions. I noticed the patterns/recipes/etc for those upgrades were still available on the rotating merchants, but the items they create are shown as grey and cannot be learned.

Thanks for the reply!

Anyone heard anything further on the ability to acquire the upgraded appearances?

Hi. Bumping this.

Is there currently a way to get the tier 2/3 appearances for the steelforged weapons from WOD?