Warlocks should be very worried

The silence from Blizz on DF Warlocks is deafening. I have zero confidence that the current dev team can execute on a spec without significant iteration based on feedback from players, and the window for this is rapidly closing.

Hell, we still don’t even have patch notes for S4 which is now less than a week away…

4 Likes

I wouldn’t worry that much.

Is it sad that we will be last tree together with Demon Hunter? yes.

But don’t think its all Doom and Gloom yet.

11 Likes

Waiting here too. But not even expecting many changes. They’ll probably just get current abilities and shape them in tree form. I’m not hoping to see old abilities returning, for instance.

Only change I really would like to see is one or two new abilities to Affliction 1 target rotation. Malefic Rapture being AoE is holding single target damage back for sure.

Don’t you get tired of just randomly making doom and gloom posts on class forums? It’s like a toddler…

13 Likes

wayyyyyy too early. theyve shown a massive willingness to iterate quickly and via feedback. im actually SO excited to see our tree cuz im certain our dev has noted the feedback from other trees and is taking it into account.

4 Likes

Yet we’ve had SL Affliction for almost 2 years now.

I do hope I’m wrong, but 16 years of playing Warlock tells me I’m probably not.

6 Likes

I’d just love for Affliction to be about DoT’s again, rather than pooling/Malefic Rapture spam. I know it’s unlikely to see us go back to UA as the main spender, but god would it be cool to have Malefic Rapture spread DoT’s or something. It’d be great to be rewarded for keeping DoT’s up, especially on more than three targets.

4 Likes

There’s nothing for them to discuss since we can’t give feedback yet.

If anything the trees being released are progressively better then the last since they appear to be avoiding problems the first ones had, which is good for us.

Also should mention that warlocks have an ungodly amount of old spells and variations of spells to sift through, which understandably would take a while.

1 Like

Precisely this, we’re probably going to be one of the better designed trees because we’re last.

2 Likes

I’m not worried about going last.

I’m worried that the incompetence in lock class design and rehashing the same Chaos bolt-centric playstyle for 6 years isn’t going to change.

7 Likes

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

Demon armor removed
Resolve removed
4 set stun removed

Bruh… lol yeah okay they’ll do a bang up job.

4 Likes

Thanks, I needed the laugh.

7 Likes

what would you rather destro be based around besides chaos bolt? its the most iconic warlock spell in existence

2 Likes

malefic rapture was a direct response to the “omg my dot class sucks in M+” screeching that happened here for the entirety of BFA. it was a damn creative idea too, it just fell short when they made it both the aoe and ST spender and designed themselves into a corner. they tried something, it missed, but they tried. not to mention i bet if malefic rapture did the exact same damage but caused your dots to flare up instead so details said it was dot damage, we would have 10% of the complaints we do now.

5 Likes

A spec should have the choice of more than just one spell to optimize . There should be at minimum three (I’m just throwing this number out there based on what we have, and what I believe Blizzard has the capacity to manage) ‘big’ spells we can utilize per spec, and, to a point, build around.

For example:

• Channel Demonfire
  • Chaos Bolt
  • Infernal

Skills with distinctly unique flavours, but all based around a solid theme.

Sure, you’d be able to use more than one of these, but specialization within a specialization absolutely needs to happen on a deeper level.

I’d think that the trees would be perfect for this, only Blizzard has absolutely not utilized them in this way, or to their fullest potential.

TL;DR: I am worried.

To be honest, I’ve expected Warlock Talent Tree to be the last implemented into the Alpha.

In all honesty Warlocks kit is prob one of the only Classes that has vastly changed multiple time and has had the most reworks done.

Blizzard in all honesty prob have to literally go through every iteration of Warlock, pick skills and abilities that also have to synergise and be fluid with one another. I would love to see different builds available for each spec going on play style. Not to forget to mention more Demons… Warlocks seem to be the only class to lose most it’s power every expansion.

Dragonflight hands down has me most excited about Warlock (my main) then any other class, even Evoker… but it could realistically go either way, be a huge win for us Warlocks with a variety of returning skills we deeply miss in all specs, or a complete travesty… but from the current alpha and blue posts it seems they are taking feedback onboard and making adjustments, which is great.

We will have to wait and see, but the longer they take the better… I hope.

1 Like

Most people like chaos bolt though.
And a thing people really want back is a hard hitting chaos bolt of old, with a weaker cb Charred Remains machine gun build.

A full fledged fire build like SL-beta would be cool though.

Yeah, nobody is saying ‘GET RID OF CHAOS BOLT EW GROSS’.

What people are saying though is “Give me more options than just chaos bolt”. It doesn’t have to be one or the other. Variety is the spice of life and chaos bolt is as about as spicy as milk right about now.

I’m passionate about choice and well thought out design. Blizzard are absolutely capable of some really fantastic design thinking, if they take the steps to follow the process and not take shortcuts or aim for easy wins.

1 Like

You realize it’s a pretty silly argument considering you’re literally just picking an arbitrary number of spells right?

I feel like we should have internal combustion baseline as well as shadowburn (which needs to do more damage) and have it interact with internal combustion at like 75% the tick removal a CB does. This would give us strong executes as well as non-hardcast damage while being focused by melee. I think we should get Hellfire back and have it function similar to starfall.

Soul fire being useful would be cool.