Warlock RP feedback

So I do not normally make posts asking for advice, but I feel that the concept I have in mind will be somewhat controversial. Plus, I have never roleplayed a warlock before so I figure this would be a place to find experts.

I am still in the conceptual stages for this character, so consider this a rough draft. I am also really only going to be focusing on three points that I want peoples thoughts/opinions on.

• I am undecided on the backstory. This character would either be a mage of the Kirin Tor who witnessed the destruction of Dalaran, or a mage who is one of the Sons of Lothar who got stranded on Outland. The former would seek out demonic magic as a means of fighting against it in the future, the latter would seek out demonic magic as a means to survive.
  • He is not motivated by malice, or a lust for power (primarily) but by a sense of duty. He rationalizes that he is committing a necessary evil to become stronger, and so that he will be prepared for when the Burning Legion returns. (Fear of a Legion return would be his initial motivation for becoming a warlock. Obviously the Legion is not as big a deal as it used to be.)
  • He claims that his research into Fel is mainly academic, and that he seeks to understand it in the way that a doctor would study a poison or disease in order to better understand it.
2 Likes

I…don’t see anything controversial about this. Quite the opposite, it’s a bit more nuanced than the “WE SELL OUR SOULS TO DEMONS FOR POWER” take that seems to be a bit prevalent around here (this includes, yes, the in-game writing).

It’s not even a Faustian bargain, per se. It’s…well, right, I suppose Vanaelia is a bit biased, what with the heritage of her people being “I wonder what we can do with this magic”.

I’m a fan of the take. You have the option of him retaining his objectivity, or slowly slipping into madness because man, that slide is kicking when you get goin’, baby.

Carry on.

4 Likes

Yay, warlocks!

I think this is a well thought out and logical approach. I’m no expert by any means, but I’ve put a lot of time and effort into this character, so maybe I can offer some helpful points.

One thing I enjoy doing for my characters (of all classes) is look at their profession/calling/life choices through the lens of their race.

Iantha here was a mage living in Dalaran, once upon a time. For her, that was quite a different experience (compared to other mages) since she was a part of Kael’s forces and was jailed by Garithos with many others. Eventually, she followed her prince to Outland which is where her journey to “Warlockdom” really began.

Without going into too much detail, a lot has happened since. She’s a member of the Black Harvest, has had run-ins with the law (specifically blood knights) and remains heavily addicted to magic. Her status as a warlock and as a blood elf has informed much of her story as you can see!

Outside of that, I’d recommend reading lore-related warlock articles, as well as anything you find interesting in the forums here. One in particular is a fan-made book mentioned here: The Harpist's Grimoire (IC Book, now in TRP3) - #11 by Arvinstal-wyrmrest-accord

Sorry for the long post, but hope you find it helpful!

2 Likes

Yeah, I am kinda split on where I could take a story like this. Could I make him a competent ‘defense against the dark arts teacher’ sort of a character, or I could make him a lost soul who vainly thinks that they can use objectively evil magic to try to do the right thing, only to slowly but surely discover such a goal is futile.

Both paths hold an appeal for me.

Why not both? Chances are, the “dark arts teacher” isn’t teaching 100% of the time. Maybe it’s during these extracurricular activities that this side of your narrative comes out?

As to where to take it in the future, you could easily have him high minded in intentions but growing increasingly frustratred with restrictions and red tape, so to speak. Or similarly, put him amongst a group or in a location where he needs to be low key about his use of fel magic due to fear from the general populace, distaste from those that be, keeping it as a hidden ace up his sleeve, etc. Speaking from experience, that can provide a wealth of rp opportunities!

1 Like