Warlock questions

I’ve watched a lot of his streams. He’s constantly pulling aggro from his voidwalker.

So typically what I was doing when I pull a mob is I send in the VW and start casting corruption then follow it with agony and then immolate. I was lvl 13 so I didn’t have an instant corruption yet. I would cast immolate and turn on the wand and boom I pulled aggro.

Maybe immolate with wanding is too much? Not sure really.

On mobs of your lvl, immolate should be used after 2-3 wand. It is also suggested to only put 2 points in corruption so your vw keeps aggro.

This doesn’t make sense.

Probably, if the wand is hitting before your VW torments for the second time then the damage you are doing is bypassing the threat buffer. If your wand is hitting after torment, then VW is bugged or it has something to do with the way they changed the spell batching.

Improved Corruption affects the cast time, not damage.

corruption/agony and wand to death, immolation generates too much threat

Corruption, agony and wanding will pull aggro. Immolate just pulls it even quicker.

I don’t remember ever really having threat issues with my Voidwalker in Vanilla, and I’m pretty sure I would pull with Immolate, then cast Curse of Agony and Corruption. I think the only time I would run into trouble is if I started chain casting Shadow Bolts.

I’ll have to level a warlock on horde side tomorrow and see how the threat is. I can report back with my experience if you all wish. For wow science!

1 Like

Please do, because it would be stupid if VW doesn’t do threat appropriately once Classic launches.

The “META” build for locks is something like

https://classicdb.ch/?talent#IGMZ0xb

Go down affliction tree first (2pnts imp corruption then suppression then imp-drain soul), then demo tree to rush for Imp VW.

After that, you get a bit more leeway and usually people fill out imp-corruption to make it instant, before continuing into the demo tree.

Me personally, my preference is ditching the VW as soon as possible and leveling with a drainlife/succubus build.
https://classicdb.ch/?talent#IA0bco

Basically just flying down the affliction tree, and using yourself/succubus as tanks vs relying so heavily on the VW and/or fear kiting. I find the VW’s threat ceiling too low, and it hampers single target because of it, and fear kiting isn’t super practical in higher mob density areas… A succubus/drain build will be more damage single target. Of note with the succubus/drain build, the killing speed gains are counter balanced by the concept that this build will need to stop and eat/drink at least until 40 (dark pact) . That being said, once you get used to it, you can also often go 10+ mobs in a row without stopping so it’s still miles ahead of other classes.

Another bonus to the succubus/drain build is that you won’t necessarily NEED a decent-good wand to level up. You will still WANT a good wand, as there are times when wanding is more efficient than draining (like say the mob won’t live the entire drain duration) but the build can make do without one… I’d also note that once you start digging into the Shadow Mastery talent, and especially at I think it was 36 or 38 when you get a new rank of drain life, it starts also blatantly out damaging wands for your level range as well. My lock on beta is currently using this build at 40 in anticipation of the level cap going up further…

https://classicdb.ch/?talent#IE0bVRbkqo

I’d only note that for pure leveling efficiency, I might have gotten imp drain soul over CoEx… but it’s not a huge issue either way, and irrelevant once you get darkpact at 40.

SM/Ruin is the build you are looking for here…

https://classicdb.ch/?talent#IE0bhRbkAZZgx0tM0z

Is how I typically end up building it out at 60.

I’m out of town right now. Should be home tonight and I can level a warlock to 10 pretty quickly in about 2 hours especially as undead with a wand.

I’ll also look into ttying different pulling methods with the VW to test threat. Just wish a threat meter was working. Haven’t played this weekend so I don’t know if one was released yet.

I have always enjoyed the affliction with a bit in demo. I am also looking forward to hitting 30 and getting my Fel Hunter! By far my favorite pet! It has been so long since I have played. It is hard to remember all the little details. But, if I am remembering correctly. I have been able to chain pull up to 4 mobs at a time with my Void Walker.

I am not by any means one of the best either. But the Warlock is probably my favorite class. And I feel I am at the very least decent with mine.

Voidwalker doesn’t have a hard taunt, just threat generation.

Yes, but more time casting it means your vw gets to it before damage start ticking. Do you need a picture?

I’ll probably get scoffed at for this, but my experience with VW threat on private servers was simple: if you hit the target with your spell before the VW could get to it, then you got that mob’s threat. Send the VW in first and time casts appropriately and there was never a problem.

Edit: there were other things to keep in mind: mobs of higher levels than you and your blueberry will likely cause threat problems so be prepared. Mobs that are lower levels won’t, so blast away.

Just like a regular tank you have to let them establish threat

I use the imp.

Send the imp in and while it’s casting get max range from the imp. Once the cast is finished but the spell has not launched I start casting.

The MOB will go for the imp and about the time the MOB reaches the imp I rip agro off the imp. The MOB is dead before it makes it to me.

For range MOB just open up full blast. They die fast.

1 Like

Well my warlock is level 11 and so far threat hasn’t been an issue.
I tag mob with agony > send in VW > cast corruption (2 sec cast) > start wanding.
I have yet to lose aggro with this. The only time it gets iffy is if the VW misses or gets resisted. Seems to be working normally/as intended. Also I have yet to lose spells or ranks of spells after having to resummon pets.

Hope this bit of info helps.