Warcraft Lore books

So if I wanted to start the world of warcraft books , which one do I start with??

This might help.

ht tps://wow.gamepedia.com/Novel_guide

If you want a broad overview of the Warcraft setting try the Chronicles books.

3 Likes

IMO, I’d start with Before the Storm first since we’re in BFA now. It made me realize how much Sylvanas sucks and it’s pretty good.

In my opinion, some of the greatest books are the oldest. The War of the Ancients trilogy is one of the best. Taking place 10,000 years ago, it’s chronologically “the first”. This is when the Dragon Aspect of Time, Nozdormu, sends 3 major characters back in time to help the Night Elf empire, (and other native races) fight the Burning Legion’s first invasion. It includes major characters like Korialistrasz, Azshara, Deathwing, a young Tyrande, Malfurion, and Illidan.

My next favorite would be Lord of the Clans, which tells Thrall’s “origin story”. Orphaned by his murdered parents, raised a captive of a cruel human and trained to fight, and his journey to reuniting the Orc race, as they had been enslaved by the humans after the first war.

Another favorite is “Arthas: Rise of the Lich King”, he’s just always been a favorite of mine. It really elaborates more details of his life, and some very surprising twists.

Thank you guys!!

Do you really want him to start on that one?! The absolute worst of the novels? We’re trying to encourage him to read more into the lore, not scare him away.

To the OP, Chronicles are the best place to start, and go from there into certain events, which are covered in more detail in the novels.

1 Like

I mean, I guess so. I didn’t think it was terrible, I really liked the subplot with Grizzek and Saffy.

1 Like

This might be helpful.

I second the Chronicle Volumes first. It covers everything from start to Cataclysm. Novels go into more detail for specific events, but for a beginner, Chronicle is your friend.

1 Like

It gets more hate than it probably deserves for a few reasons.

1. A lot of the people here dislike Anduin and will scream about anything featuring him that doesn’t involve his death.

(I was tempted to add “and his abject failure and humiliation.” but that’s already there in BtS, and somehow people still say nothing goes wrong for him/golden boy/writer’s pet.)

1. It portrays Sylvanas and her motivations in a negative light–Not necessarily out of character, but contrary to hopes and expectations. People were really hoping to see her more “For the Horde” than “For the Dark Lady”.

2. And most importantly, I think, completely fails to deliver on the promise Blizz made about it leading into the morally-grey-each-side-is-right war we were promised in BfA. The Horde characters present are either villains or victims and you could declare the novel completely non-canon and it wouldn’t impact BfA at all.

Taken on it’s own, without expectations or bias for/against certain characters it’s a decent enough book.

Chronicles, definitely! It gives a good overview of the lore and while a bit lengthy, if you’re interested they go by pretty quick. Before the Storm also gives a good perspective of current events, so that would be my next recommendation.

Which ever one you want to. The stories are all self-contained so the order in which you read them doesn’t matter.