Warcraft has lost its way

To be fair, if they did release the story all at once, you would still have people who would have blown through all of it, complain there’s nothing to do and quit anyway.

People generally are horrible at pacing themselves in a MMO

1 Like

I don’t think players in general are that invested in the story. At best they enjoy the visuals and representation of characters.

Which I think is fine to a point.

This is a safe expansion, and maybe it is shallow, but I think that’s needed with how incomprehensibly awful the last two expansions have been.

With Metzen back, and the removal of Afrosalami, I do think the story will be better. Maybe consistently decent, which for a gameplay focused franchise, might be the best we’ll get.

5 Likes

Okay but the point was, it’s like being handed a page of a book at a time 6 months apart, it’s absolutely mind numbingly tedious and i don’t think it’s sutainable and that could explain why this game has experienced a drop in subs even a month after new content drops. There’s not enough story to sustain people’s interest, this is indisputable.

1 Like

Don’t disagree, it is absolutely tedium to follow a story where only small parts of it is released every 6 or so months.

I’d love if they did what FFXIV did and have each content patch be it’s own complete part of the story. But that would you know…require effort.

5 Likes

14 is interesting in approach.

Rather than stretching a single story out throughout the entire expacs run time, then having a small prepatch leading into the next one, its a full story within the X.0 Expacs. Then additional stories added to that expac from X.1-X.3. With X.4-X.55 setting up the next Expac. It is a lot of investment on SE’s side, but it flows nice.

That’s not to say that WoW needs to do the same extreme, but I do think its reasonably possible to have a generally self contained story within each Expac, and the following patches building atop it … and building into the next one. In a very “Book->Epilogue->Prologue->Book…” style.

2 Likes

Which also isn’t impossible but it would again, require focus and effort.

You’d first need to make sure you have at least 3 content patches through an expansion, and then enough story content in each one to justify themselves. As much as we hate the idea of attunement quests, having something similar (though maybe not required) would be a good idea.

Though I admit this may stop them from just throwing in whatever raid they want.

1 Like

There have been Ion murmurings of more frequent patches, iirc, instead of huge patch dumps alone. I hope that means we get to see more stuff akin to the deblighting of Lordaeron sprinkled throughout instead of just 10 minutes of renown gated quests and cutscenes in whatever new Timeless Isle incarnation is up.