Wanting to be hated

One of many reason why I think Broxigar is one of the worst characters in WoW.

Time traveling an orc back in time to be the savior of the Kaldorei is not only just stupid, but it creates several inconsistencies in the lore. When really, the role of Brox could have been a Tauren hero.

They are well within their rights to arrest a known War Criminal who has been at large for several years, yes.

Again, you are making some baseless assumptions about me.

2 Likes

Guilt by association is a silly standard. Guilt by aiding and abetting is not.

3 Likes

Seriously. Meryl Felstorm’s “local Mage too angry to die” explanation for an undead being around millenia before the Forsaken wasn’t the best writing. But at least it’s one guy who was mostly behind the scenes.

With Broxigar though he was a war hero that went lawnmower on thousands of demons and punched Sargeras in the face. You’d think Space Satan might also remember that and go

“Wait a sec - these creatures we’re corrupting to invade Azeroth sure look familiar. I’m starting to think this whole operation will backfire on me”.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, retcons like this make Warcraft 3 nearly impossible to discuss. Immense portions of the scenario being discussed assumed that the Night Elves had no prior knowledge of these people - then came Knaak with his time traveling band of miscreant superheroes.

2 Likes

Which is sad considering that The War of the Ancients would’ve been just fine as a purely-biographical novel about the Kaldorei Empire and the Legion’s first invasion, completely-minus Rhonin, Krasus, and Brox.

1 Like

Reading Knaak novels, for me, is like reading A Bee Movie Fan fiction, but less funny.

Unfortunatly, thats most Nelf lore that we get off-screen. With that being said, I would kill for a novel with Night Warrior Tyrande written by William King. The way he wrote Maiev in the Illidan novel grossly enabled my unhealthy obsession with that character.

Edit: Actually, a better comparison for Knaak books are Onision books.

No - shoving the Night Elves’ good moments in a book that only six people will read is a hard “no” from me. That kind of thing needs to be in-game.

I don’t disagree. I am just saying I would love a Nelf novel written by William King.

I’m of the belief time travel should only be used as a narrative device if the narrative itself is predominantly about time travel.

Otherwise it starts to make the story’s universe very messy very quickly.

1 Like

I mean, they got away with having time-travel-based dungeons all the way from The Burning Crusade and into Cataclysm - BC literally had two dungeons and a raid due to the Caverns being introduced in that expansion.

That entire Time Cop subplot was in it’s own bubble though. It wasn’t, far as I remember, really connected to anything else going on in TBC.

And as a premise to isolated instanced content it was fine. Most BGs exist unstuck in time if Nathanos yelling at me about the lack of Azerite collecting Dark Rangers is any evidence.

But when it became a full narrative in itself we got Warlords of Draenor. And even that skirted by on the “It’s actually part of the multiverse” excuse.

One strand of a rope…

:pancakes:

The War of the Ancients is an event from 10,000 years ago. Fleshing it out in a trilogy of novels is an excellent way of touching on that time period and has far, far greater capacity for characterization and scale than a Caverns of Time dungeon allows, so I gotta hard disagree that the novel should’ve never been made.

Hell, I’d kill for a book about the Aqir Wars that allowed us to actually see the one awesome event in troll history we only ever hear about.

Just… Without the weird time traveling orcs or Rhonin teaching Illidan magic.

My objection was to the idea of putting Tyrande’s Night Warrior experience in a novel, which is current content. :slight_smile:

Ahhh, fair! My bad then.

Though I will say the Darkshore warfront could really do with the sort of narrative touch up a novel could provide. Novels can add a lot more context to events than we can see in-game.

Vol’jin’s rebellion without Shadows of the Horde is pretty basic, as an example.

It won’t be racist if Tyrande gets to be Doom Guy.

My problem with this is that it looks like a crutch, and a way to make the Night Elves still look weak while thinking that they solved the problem. I reject that.

They blew millions of dollars over questlines, cinematics, commissioned art and media that all had the point of making the Night Elves look weak and powerless against the Horde. If they can do that, and then later on spend even more money to fix a bug in Horde questing by creating a cinematic of the Kodo quest to make it look like the Night Elves were even weaker, then they can find the time and money to reverse those impressions.

When was this? I didn’t ever do the Darkshore warfront because I definitely was not doing it on my Horde characters and the idea of leveling my night elf through Kul Tiras after Teldrassil made my head spin with how out-of-character it’d have to be, so I only really know the broad strokes and the cut-scenes on Youtube.

Edit: The kodo thing specifically. The forum editing the quote out.

The second paragraph referred to the War of the Thorns, and the BFA-era changes to the Cataclysm-bound Kodo quest in Ashenvale that’s nevertheless part of the levelling process.

Darkshore itself had good moments, but was fatally flawed by a few things.

1. The resolution by nature was up in the air, initially given in an interview, and then bookended with a pretty lackluster cinematic.
  2. Nathanosgate + Undead Night Elves
  3. The simple fact that it was Darkshore, and therefore no matter what still represented a net loss.
1 Like

Ahhh, fair. A iot of those problems can be cleared up in a novel or short story though. Seeing the actual resolution play out in print would be massively superior to a frickin’ tweet if nothing else.

It is less a crutch and more of a bandaid. Still not enough but it is better than just leaving it as-is.

Though honestly the WoW novels are more enjoyable than the actual game in a lot of ways anyway. Especially as story telling tools. You can just do SO much more in written prose.