Wanting to be hated

How is this different any other worshiped being in Warcraft, though? Even Bwonsamdi only saved Troll souls from the Maw, and, as Zekhan found out, didn’t even give special treatment to Saurfang.

2 Likes

I forgot that Malorne existed. Whoops.

Are you saying that Elune is akin to a Loa? Those most inferior of beings?

Because I would be fine if she was functionally on the tier of the Loa considering her relationship with the NEs is somewhat similar in composition. As is her playing favorites with the NEs. But I doubt anything less than a First One would suffice for most NE players. And its that expectation that even a being like an Eternal (who services a Universe) is meant to be beneath a being like Elune is where I start taking issue.

A Loa I expect to “pick favorites”. The very foundation of their symbiotic relationship with their followers requires they do so. Their power stems from their worshippers, and vice-versa. A being above even that of an eternal playing favorites though? That’s a more interesting cup of tea.

2 Likes

The two losers in Ardenweald that do othing but shout about Tyrande’s imminent death prove Elune doesn’t play favorites. As Lun’alai on Zandalar.

1 Like

She does play favorites. The NEs may not be the only ones she picked, but even Tauren who worship Mu’sha aren’t garnered even a slight bit of support. They are still worshipping the moon in their own way after all. But they are not her chosen people. She does not communicate with them. She does not reach out. She does not give them their blessing.

Elune picks favorites. The Kaldorei are her “chosen children” of Azeroth. She truly does not seem to give a crap about any one else. At least on that specific planet. And certainly not on a backwater one like Draenor.

Isn’t malfurion the reason why the divide happened in the first place? He banished them from kaldorei lands.

Imo malfurion being friendly with the blood elves is just trampling on established lore to further castrate night elf characterization. They used to be xenophobic savages in WC3… and from what I understand, most night elf players want that personality back.

1 Like

The Night Elves are her “Chosen” on Azeroth so far in that Tyrande is her Champion.

Shal’dorei priests exist.

Lun’alai Balance Druids exist.

In current Canon there are more races on the Horde with Elune worshippers than on the Alliance.

The one Alliance race just happens to be the one from which her Champion comes.

They really don’t. What they want is their “savage” nature to be brought back, whatever that means. They also may be accepting of that bigotry back, but only if they are proven valid and right in it.

1 Like

Yes this is what we want. We also want to be able to back it up.

Just a note that in fantasy/D&D, “demi human” is not considered to be a pejorative term.

The Shal’dorei are an offshoot of the Kaldorei, the original “Children of the Stars”. Them finding their way back to Elune would still apply to them being her chosen people. The Lun’alai in contrast are Trolls who do seem to worship Elune you are right. However next to nothing about their relationship with Elune is known, beyond the relationship dynamic not being one of Loa and worshipper. There is no such tangible back and fourth bargain. I also wonder if their sect operated while the Kaldorei were brutlizing the Troll Empires?

And again, this would all be no issue if the expectation wasn’t that she be a being above that of even an Eternal. Beings who are expected to service the universe with some general impartiality. A being of First One caliber cherry picking races, even if other races can worship her … is questionable.

The two in Ardenweald, plus whoever the other Night Warriors end up being should be more than enough to justify her position above Loa. The Loa are not worshipped on multiple planets. Elune is.

Edit: I actually want to add to the Lun’alai thing. The Zandalari Balance druids that worship Elune under the name “Lun’alai” are outcasts because the lack of bargaining has them labeled as heretics and Lun’alai as a false loa.

-ai terminations for Trolls means “people” or “ones” as in a group

Elune’s troll name is thus Lun’al (bit on the nose, really should’ve named her Yemaya//variations therein or Osupa or something African//African Diasporic otherwise)

I do get that. What I don’t get is what they get from such a relationship, beyond the ability to worship the “right god”? Did they exist back when the chosen people of Elune were rampaging through the Troll empires? Pushing them to the brink, and “only not wiping them out” because they had nothing left of value left to take? Or are they a newer sect, and what brought them there?

1 Like

As far as I remember they exist because they view the other Loa has oppressive. They revere Elune because she doesn’t demand one sided bargains she strives for balance.

2 Likes

Agreed on part, perhaps racism can be left to very old people like Trollbane which is his shtick but the alliance needs their own edge and personalities, let people in the miltary being like Genn and Rogers with a legit grudge instead of being castrated and one pretend to not exist anymore.

2 Likes

That’s the problem. Bigotry isn’t just made up out of thin air, it has a source. Kaldorei survived a genocide by the horde, so some elves will hate the horde forever, even horde citizens that had no part in it.

Is that bigotry acceptable? It’s understandable from pov’s… but it’s still bigotry. That’s a character flaw the authors have been shying away from when writing the alliance recently, and I think it’s a mistake.

I just don’t understand how people want night elves to be vengeful and destroy the entirety of the horde… but not in a bigoted way. The act in itself is bigoted.

8 Likes

But we know now that most modern Loa who haven’t fallen into obscurity don’t operate off one sided deals. Which is the point of contention with Mueh’zala and Hakkar, as they refuse to get with the times and have been suffering abandonment. You even have Loa sacrificing themselves for their worshippers, and even refusing to take on new worshippers when they failed their old.

Most Loa/Worshipper relations are very symbiotic from all indications, and even Bwon’s relationship with his people by default is very give and take. You show him reverence, and don’t practice necromancy (infringing on his domain), he cares for your soul in the afterlife. That’s the deal. No more, no less. Its only once you start proposing more than that default expectation with him that he’ll propose those one-sided deals. And that is fine, his duty is not really to you “the living”. His duty is to the dead.

2 Likes

Good faction rivalry that’s healthy for both sides will require bigotry by it’s very nature if you don’t want to have one side be Morally White and the other Morally Black.

1 Like

I didn’t say the Lun’alai Druids were correct. Just that’s how they view things. Considering they’re exiled it’s not like they can exactly just waltz in and update themselves on the going ons. For all we know the last time they were allowed inside the city Hakkar and Mueh’zala were still cool to worship.