Wanting to be hated

And nobody is saying both are okay. We are discussing what the FICTIONAL alliance was supposed to do.

Alright, yeah…that’s now a report from me.

1 Like

Oh it’s fine, I reported all your “Actually they were forced to create Concentration Camps, because it was either that or Genocide. These are the only two options” posts.

And in all honesty, Antonidas’ solution was probably the best at the time, all things considered:

1. Keep orcs in camps
  2. Study them
  3. Devise method to cure them of Felblood addiction

The primary barriers to this, of course, were:

1. The fact that Adelas Blackmoore was in charge of the camps, which means that the camps weren’t necessarily for housing the orcs, but torturing and imprisoning them
  2. The majority of the Alliance leaders wanting to execute the orcs outright (or at least, torture/punish them via the camps)
  3. Time—the Lich King and Kel’thuzad were already putting together the Cult of the Damned at the time

Old Hillsbrad Foothills also showed us that the people who ran Durnhold Keep lived over in Tarren Mill. And the people of Tarren Mill are now Forsaken. Who are allied with the Orcs.

Rewriting the Alliance to Warcraft I and II would never make sense in the context of World of Warcraft as it has been now.

1 Like

So do you have a third solution? Deporting Orcs to Draenor?

You know, this is why I enjoyed the aftermath stories of the second war. It showed humans as flawed, but at the same time you could understand their actions.

The humans intentionally abused the lethargic orcs in those camps. Because they hated them, they wanted revenge. Humans absolutely did not see orcs as people, so much so that it did not occur to them that an orc baby is still a baby.

Were those morally good actions? No. Is it an understandable human reaction? Yeah.

8 Likes

and here are various posters insisting they were morally good actions lmao

4 Likes

I mean, as long as we’re on the same page that the camps were terrible and nobody is condoning them.

Otherwise, I agree with you.

These actions were “correct”. Not “good”.

Oh, absolutely; stories like Lord of the Clans, Of Blood and Honor, and even parts of Arthas: Rise of the Lich King that take place at the time are still some of the best/most morally complex lore I’ve had the pleasure of reading.

Oh, I’m absolutely not condoning the camps as they were run under Blackmoore—there’s no illusion that those were meant for the abuse of the orcs rather than to follow Antonidas’ plan of actually studying/researching them.

We already know from The Last Guardian that Medivh was aware of other worlds like Draenor, so it’s not implausible that the Kirin Tor—or at least, Antonidas himself—weren’t that far behind.

2 Likes

You very clearly need a reality-check, because you are not capable at all anymore to differentiate between a discussion about the lore of a game or real life. I will no longer reply, and you have the honor of being the first person on my forum ignore.

This’d probably work better if we didn’t just have “we hate the Horde” blood elves join the Alliance after Alleria’s “ew, she leads the horde” thing in Legion.

1 Like

Nobody is saying they were morally good actions but you

What you do is yell at the writers and ask, “Why the hell are you actually writing a situation where concentration camp vs genocide is actually a valid argument?” Just like we call Blizzard out on all it’s other bad writing decisions.

Not treat it as a valid thought exercise.

5 Likes

I am a consistent person who applies my real life ethics to the interpretation of the things I play actually, have a blessed rest of your life beloved!

Micah multiple people above your post are insisting it was correct and morally good. Keydia’s argument is there was “no other option”, ergo correct/necessary, which under some ethical interpretations can also be considered the common good.

What does ethics suggest to do with the losing side of the conflict?

As a German I can give you two answers to this. Just choose the fitting time period!

At the time, it was a valid thought exercise, or at the very least a valid moral question—that’s the whole point.

Otherwise, stories like Lord of the Clans and the entirety of Reign of Chaos wouldn’t have had nearly the same narrative impact that they did.

1 Like