Wait, so rogues ACTUALLY turn invisible?

Fair enough. That is a lot of background to inform that intuition. Its just that in D&D’s case, world building and guides outright made sure that info was known. WoW’s runners have always been vague with everything so I just default to occam’s razor with it all.

Plus, original night elf rogue quests made the class pretty interwoven and indistinguishable from the race and it was clear in their case they had magical stealth. So that was my early association.

By the time we get to Lorash though, it seemed even more obvious it was magical stealth. From Legion making Sub spec overtly shadow magic, to the BfA short stories depicting the Forsaken rogues sneaking up on guards on high alert in the middle of rooms.

4 Likes

The subtlety tree used to be described as using shadow magic or mysticism to conceal yourself or something like that.

4 Likes

I thought they were always just misdirecting like magicians.

It’s stated they use a mixture of poisons and shadow magics if I’m not mistaken

I eagerly await the addition of nuclear strike as a dps cooldown.

2 Likes

Basically, when a mage goes invisible, they seem to briefly enter another realm or reality. So if a mage stood still, cast invisibility, and continued staying still, not only would other people be unable to see them anymore, but could then stand on the very same spot the mage was standing on and not come into physical contact with them.

This would contrast with rogues, who do everything that the mage does, sans entering another realm. Note how Saurfang was able to pluck one of the rogues from the air while Thrall threw dirt at another. They would not be able to do that if the rogues had truly gone invisible.

So stealth, as it is depicted in game, is just a lesser form of invisibility where the rogue makes it difficult, but not impossible to be seen.

This is a superhero fantasy epic. Almost every fighter has some form of magic. Probably.

Whoa everyone in WoW now has some kind of super power, wonder if the power levels will go full DBZ at some point

According to WarCraft III, no they can’t. Tyrande couldn’t Shadowmeld to hide from Archimonde until after sunset.

2 Likes

I was surprised for the same reasons as you, but I shouldn’t have been. Given the nonsense sub rogues pull off, of course they use magic.

2 Likes

Ever since I rolled a rogue, I always understood they had utilize shadow magic for stealth. The only Rogues who wouldn’t be utilizing this ability would be Combat/Outlaw rogues who are really swashbucklers.

I think all rogues have some basic shadow magic. It’s like the beginning of Naruto.

1 Like

But all 3 Rogue specs use the same “Stealth” ability.

It’s not like how their ranged attack is Poisoned Knife, Pistol Shot or Shuriken Toss depending on the spec. They all just have “Stealth”. So if it’s magic for one of them, it’s magic for all of them.

It seemed clear to me for a while. But it was also mentioned in the Illidan novel. And really, it made the most sense to me, being that close even in front of someone without them reacting. Even in Burning Crusade they got their shadow teleport. Especially when Tyrande notes their Shadowmeld is an Elune granted power, made me assume most stealth was actual invisibility.

2 Likes

Not a surprise to me. Otherwise how could one stealth through, say, the Barrens or Hellfire Peninsula and not be spotted immediately?

1 Like

He simply made that opposed Perception vs Stealth check. Having played both Pathfinder and D+D 3.X (or possibly the WOW D20 game) Saurfang learned early on that Perception was the most important skill in the game and not only maxed it, he took the Skill Focus feat, and the Pathfinder trait that made it a class skill. Invisibility after all is only a plus 30 to the difficulty check.

Thrall on the other hand is an even older hand having played AD+D and learned the value of flour, ash, and dust against invisible foes.

1 Like

Pretty much the conclusion I’ve reached. Monks and their magic punches. Survival Hunters and their Nature spells. Other Hunters and their magic shots. Warriors and their magic yelling and health regen. Makes sense Rogues would have magic stealth.

The only one I was iffy on was Outlaw Rogue. But it’s gotta be magic to hide a male Kul Tiran.

1 Like

Story vs. Gameplay segregation?

@Op: Turning invisible is not the issue… The issue is why aren’t rogues literally dominating the planet when they can easily assassinate the political leaders the moment they relax? Just like the Predator.

Don’t feel so excited, the qq after the first week of launch will nerf it to the ground.

Isn’t that more or less what the Uncrowned claim they do?