Void Elf Customization Thread (Ascension of the Ren'dorei)

Not to mention that is only in reference to the Silver Hand.

Who knows what’s happens with Sunwalkers or Prelates or even the Vindicators.

3 Likes

The clerics and paladins all lifted right hands, which were now suffused by a soft, golden glow. They pointed at Arthas, directing the radiance toward him. Arthas’s eyes were wide with wonder, and he waited for the glorious glow to envelop him. Nothing happened.

The moment stretched on.

Sweat broke out on Arthas’s brow. What was going wrong? Why wasn’t the Light wrapping itself around him in blessing and benediction?

And then the sunlight streaming in through windows in the ceiling slowly began to move toward the prince standing alone in shining armor, and Arthas exhaled in relief. This had to be what Uther had spoken of. The feeling of unworthiness that Uther assured him all paladins felt simply seemed to drag out the moment. The words Uther had spoken came back to him: No one feels he

deserves it…its grace, pure and simple…but the Light loves us anyway.

Now it shone down on him, in him, through him, and he was forced to shut his eyes against the almost blinding radiance. It warmed at first, then seared, and he winced slightly. He felt—scoured. Emptied, scrubbed clean, then filled again, and he felt the Light swell inside him and then fade away to a tolerable level. He blinked and reached for the hammer, the symbol of the

order. As his hand closed about the haft, he looked up at Archbishop Faol, whose benign smile widened. “Arise, Arthas Menethil, paladin defender of Lordaeron. Welcome to the Order of the Silver Hand.”

Arthas couldn’t help it. He grinned as he grasped the enormous hammer, so large that for a brief moment he thought he wouldn’t be able to lift it, and swung it upward with a whoop. The Light,he realized, made the hammer seem to weigh less in his hands. At his exultant cry, the cathedral suddenly began to ring with the sound of answering cheers and applause. Arthas found himself

roughly embraced by his new brothers and sisters, and then all remnants of formality were torn away as his father, Varian, and others crowded the altar area. Much laughter was had as Varian tried to clap him on the shoulder, only to have his hand sting when he struck the hard metal of the shoulder plates.

Not really too invested in this argument, but that passage doesn’t seem to be a good one for pushing that Paladins aren’t light infused.

2 Likes

I’d read this one recently as well.
There’s the ceremony where he receives the very intense blessing by the light that burns, but every other time he talks about the light in the book, he makes it clear he is a conduit/channeling it.
Shortly in the book after the cermony, he breaks up with Jaina.
He then states he needs to focus on learning to accept, channel, and direct the light.
There’s other references to it flowing through him. If he was infused, it wouldn’t need to do so, it’d already be there.

The only infused beings we have are the lightforged.

It’s an intense blessing. That’s it. No infusion.
The rest of the book makes a point that the light flows through him or he’s channeling it etc. Same as priests.

Chapter 8 … “Maybe if he focused on fighting, on learning how to accept, and channel and direct the Light, he could get the hell over her. Over the girl he himself had broken up with”

Had he been infused, why would he need to learn to accept, channel, and direct the light? Seems like it’d only be directing.

Later on Jaina even makes a comment about the light flowing through him, if he was infused with it, it’d have been more accurate to say it is a part of him. That’s not the case.

There’s multiple instances of this sort of thing.

3 Likes

Like I said, not too invested. Just seemed odd to just use the one line about Arthas not feeling the blessing of the light out of that passage. While maybe not proof of infusion, I don’t think I’d use that passage as proof that it doesn’t happen (especially using the line about arthas not feeling anything) as this is a book that has the ceremony making one a paladin seeming to give them additional power (the line about the light making the hammer lighter)

2 Likes

Yeah, the ceremony passage was one of the additional reasons I wanted to read the book as I’ve had that passage quoted numerous times when people kept saying they are infused, when we actually have an allied race of infused beings.
So it was pretty interesting to find that every other instance in the book made a point of paladins channeling the light.
The passage just read to me like an intense blessing by the light following a regular blessing by the others in attendance initiating him.
I’ve always joked that I feel the same way when I drink my coffee too fast, but that doesn’t make me Javaforged. It just flows through me and burns a bit :stuck_out_tongue:

The weird part of that is the other instances when the hammer no longer glows and such…yet we’ve got paladins literally serving the void in the game wielding the light.

The book has just been the one thing people used to say paladins are infused when there’s pretty much nothing else that says it, so it was funny to see that every where else in the books it says they channel it, they’re just martial priests or warriors who learn to wield the light.

1 Like

I’ll admit I haven’t read the book, just knew that passage from seeing other people arguing about forsaken paladins, which is why it seemed odd to limit it to just that sentence from that passage. We’re in that territory where we the players are probably thinking of this more than the writers did at the time. I think it’s a tricky passage that you can probably read a few ways without having to do much to make it work. You could read that as a blessing or something more, and has anyone from cdev ever clarified what that means to prove any one of us right?

1 Like

Yeah, it could definitely be read multiple ways…but the other stuff that comes later made it pretty clear to me that they’re conduits, which fits the wikis and existing lore and such. I doubt there’s any clarifications…honestly, that doesn’t help either when we’ve got devs stating one thing and then the game states something else. I’ve had that issue when discussing one of the allied races.
It’s just funny people say paladins are infused with the light when we have a race of draenei who literally are. I’d say Turalyon is the only human paladin who is infused.

I’m all for multiple orders of paladins that wield different cosmic powers. I think it’d be a fantastic addition. Another layer of customization is very welcome. I loved the mockup that Lost Codex and Simaia did for them. Covered pretty much all of the options I wanted to see except one that wields arcane, a nightborne paladin wielding arcane would be fun.

1 Like

And that’s a distinction that’s iffy too, I’m sure there’s debate on if that differs from how priests use it. And I’m more in the camp now to just throw open the doors and open it all to everyone. Our characters are already pretty far outside the norm, no reason they shouldn’t be able to train in whatever. I’d prefer much more diverse views of all the classes flavored by race of the character too, but I feel like that’s way way to optimistic to think that they’d go to that much effort (well, other than for druid forms since that’d be expected if that happened)

I think infusion might just be convenient terminology to describe different processes that we don’t really have words for in reality where they don’t happen. Plus we’ve got the old statements on why forsaken can’t be paladins that can point to that. So I think these discussions just kinda end up being more about what you consider “infused” to mean and how strong it is.

And frankly. I mainly posted the excerpt because Lore has a tendency to play fast and loose with things and I thought that was a deceptive quote that portrayed the opposite feeling to what the passage it came from expresses. If you’re gonna pull that out for a discussion of this topic, at least mention that right after Arthas is feeling worried about feeling nothing it goes into full religious experience.

1 Like

I suppose it could be but paladins are literally warriors trained to use the light and priests trained to use weapons. I’d think they just use it in a way that better suits their combat style. But yeah, there’s no strict clarification.

I definitely agree on opening everything up. Racial restrictions don’t make a lot of sense anymore.
If a member of a race wants to be something that’s not usual for their race, there are places and people they can seek out to learn from. Our characters are special snowflakes anyway, so being able to be whatever you want makes sense.
The idea of class skins to make the visuals fit the various races, but also allowing it to be something you can change and choose is something I’d quite like to see.
I keep saying the void wielding VE paladins make a lot of sense, as a whole sect of void wielding paladins makes a lot of sense in light of the actions we’ve witnessed or the aftermath of by the light. Having a group that wields a different cosmic power in preparation should they be hostile is a really smart move…plus all the cool visual options are great. There’s quite a few of them I’d definitely use. A night elf elune themed paladin…a fiery spell wielding dark iron paladin…

I was thinking that earlier about infusion…I can drink a gallon of coffee and I’m technically infused, but it’s gonna flow through me and not remain there until I infuse myself again :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually think the lack of Forsaken paladins is weird. They should have been the first group of shadow/void wielding paladins. Soon as a shadow priest saw a paladin, you’d think one would go put on some armor and grab some weapons and voila…a shadowpaladin.

Definitely…but then you’ve also gotta point out he specifically states he needs to learn to accept, channel, and direct the light well after the ceremony happens :stuck_out_tongue:

The allied race thing I was referring to earlier was regarding the Kultirans. There’s a ton of stuff pointing to the larger playable versions being descended from the Drust/Vrykul but there were people who’d post saying that some dev (I think it was just an art one too) was saying they just wanted playable husky humans…but that doesn’t explain why they are so large nor why they are the only ones able to be druids when we have a reason in game stating it’s because they’re descended from the drust.
So a dev/artist was saying one thing and the game was saying another.

Still, I just think it’s a weak passage to cite to strongly claim that there is no known difference between priests and paladins, and in context of the post made, deceptively used by only quoting the before and not the actual event. I feel that passage is one that needs to be explained by someone arguing that there’s no difference between a priest and a pally as to what it represents and that it’s not a constant, and that it doesn’t bolster the case as it is.

Like say we were trying to figure out what a character’s favorite ice cream is and someone quoted a line where they say “Well, I’m always happy for vanilla ice cream.” And left it at that to prove that it was vanilla, but then you read the quote and it continues on “but have you had tiramisu gelato? That stuff is amazing!” It doesn’t actually clear up what the favorite flavor is, but to try and use just part of the statement to end the discussion isn’t really kosher.

I take it as just a blessing, part of the reason being what Fen said above. That passage only applies to the Silver Hand, and we have a bunch of other groups of paladins.

In your example, I’d say his favorite would be the gelato.
I’m always happy for vanilla as well, but I don’t think I’d say it’s my favorite. Does sound like he prefers the other over vanilla.

I get what you mean though.
I wouldn’t mind if the Lightforged thing was opened up more as a larger customization set rather than a specific allied race. Then people of whatever race they wanted to play could go get Lightforged if they wanted.
Then anyone could play whatever kind of light infused paladin they wanted :wink:

2 Likes

I changed my main’s transmog a bit, made it more Void Elf, but without changing much of my previous mog:

Leinadh - Character (worldofwarcraft.com)

I feel like a Void Magister x)

9 Likes

This looks actually pretty cool. But I’m sure you can find a better staff than this one you use.

Thanks! :hugs:

Oh actually I use that staff for RP purposes. Before turning into a Void Elf, he was a great Chronomancer, and to this day he’s trying to mix and control both types of magic (Void and Arcane/Chronomancy). So that’s why I use that staff, to show his background in chronomancy. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

i think the staff looks nice. the gold matches the gold on the robe and the white mist matches white on robe. i think what blastkrizzle would like is some more of that pretty purple. hehe

4 Likes

I mean he’s also stated to a Blizzcon goer that just because High Elves weren’t in the game yet doesn’t mean they won’t ever be and that door didn’t close (this was before the skin tones were given but also after he said no plans for high elves in the near future).

I think it’s great they acknowledge it as a possibility in the future, that’s the best anyone can hope for when it comes to wanting stuff in the game.

If they ever added High Elf Paladins on Alliance I would highly probably stay subbed for the lifetime of the game.

It’s tough to get into a game when it doesn’t allow the character identity you wish for.

6 Likes

It would be better to give them a void class and split the Alliance elves as the next step

That’s really nice!

I like it.

2 Likes

That’s more credit than I’d give Blizzard for trying to do, as we’ve seen time and again they’ll take the path of ‘least effort’

-void (includes locks, warriors, rogues, hunters, monks)
-arcane (mages)
-holy (priests and (paladins ?) )
-death (death knights)

not available to void elves

-nature (druids)
-elemental (shaman? so far no elven shaman of any elven race)
-fel (demon hunters)