Video cards

What happened? Theyre so over priced or not in stock. Its easier to find 9mm ammo than it is a decent GPU…

In no particular order:

Supply & demand
COVID
Significant technological advancement vs. prior years
Component shortages competing with consoles
Hype for new games needing better hardware

2 Likes

This

Due to this

2 Likes

oh and tariffs

They got an exemption for one year back in 2019, assuming they didn’t “move” manufacturing to Taiwan or Vietnam, and I’m not certain if the exemption got renewed. Fully assembled PCs, PSU, and several other parts still get nailed as do we. In fact we are having a hard time getting our stuff out of the factories before the Chinese new year (basically they take most of February off) not because of production but due to shipping. We as country have set a record this year for imported goods from China to the point that China is running very low on containers because port of LA and Long Beach are sitting on so many of them.

1 Like

We were in a similar dillema a few years back when it was those blasted miners. How strange now we’ve come full circle once again.

SUcks cuz I wanna upgrade but cant

TSMC and Samsung Foundry have too little capacity for the high demand.

The demand for any kind of consumer-ish tech product has really gone through the roof in the past year. It’s not just GPUs and computer components, even stuff like the AirPods Max which aren’t as subject to chip shortages and have a limited market have been preordered in such numbers that they’re booked clear up until the end of February. It’s a double-whammy of people upgrading their home setups and plain old retail therapy.

1 Like

Airplanes aren’t flying. That’s how a lot of cheap travel happens for goods.

Supply is there, just really slow and expensive to transport via ships now.

Edit:
One more thing, medical supplies are getting much higher priority than many other goods on certain transportation mechanisms.

Which goods? We manufacturer/import small electronics and PC/Mobile/tech accessories from China as well other products from Europe. Even with the higher cost of a fast boat, airing something will still be 3-4x times the cost and you are limited in space.

When airplanes travel for passenger flights their extra space will get used up by suppliers to transport goods. With flights at an all time low that’s not happening much at this time. Also medical supplies are getting the top most priority for locations.

I’m not sure how much or the use of passenger planes in the medical field as it’s not my field. It would not be a viable way to transport our goods and probably for most other tech as we fill multi 40ft containers easily and the cost increase would make the products price non-competitive.

Commercial planes sell excess capacity to transport good for a cheap price. It’s a sunk cost for planes so even if they transport a few boxes, it’s better than 0 profit.
This step is after the 40ft containers are already opened.

I understand the practice and if that is how it works in the medical field than great (not my field) but in my field the cost of air shipment (even with current discounts) plus the lack of space does not make it worth it to us. Not really sure why that is difficult for you to understand.

Also “after the 40ft containers are already opened.” is not an issue since the goods are already imported and waiting to be put on a train. Airing goods from port of LA to our warehouses would be beyond financially efficient. It would be the equivalent of paying for grocery delivery and then hiring a Uber to go get the groceries.

1 Like

You’re missing the forest from the trees.

GN also did a video piece on this with AIBs. It may not work for all industries, it works for others. AIBs lower GPUs costs via this method.

This is why commercial passenger planes offer discounts on access capacity. It’s a sunk cost for planes. A small profit is better than nothing. With flights 50% down it’s not going to be as easy to get a hold of that capacity.
If you’re getting dedicated airplanes for transport gpus then that’d be crazy expensive, yes.

Actually it’s you who are missing out on the obvious as I was never talking about add in boards and you were talking about medical supplies. Not really sure how AIBs are involved here.

Once again you are talking about domestic transportation while I’m talking about over seas import transportation. The fact that you fail to understand the difference is rather disturbing.

WHy are you people arguing about planes and cargo?
Where is the stupid cards already. I need an upgrade and cant afford the ridiculous prices.

join a discord that monitors stock.
ATR Stonks or something like that
Setup apple pay for Newegg. Camp Bestbuy/Walmart/BHPhoto/etc. Roll a 100 sided dice with Amazon.

Otherwise just get a gpu that holds you over until more stock becomes available. Your question was answered by the first person that commented. A lot of demand not enough inventory.

Then we’re talking about different parts of the supply chain, sorry.