Vengeance DH Talent Feedback and Suggestions

I keep logging onto my monk, but I just can’t do it. I just want to have fun tanking with my DH again, honestly who made these dumb class changes.

(Bigdiggles) #182

Good feedback guys keep It coming.

The community perception won’t change until Blizzard makes changes to tank balance.

Since BFA was released we haven’t seen any PvE changes, other than Azerite traits.

Because of Blizzards lack of communication, it makes it difficult for the VDH community to know if we are not getting changes because Blizzard does know there are tank imbalance issues, or if they don’t know how to fix the issues, or if they simply don’t care.

As of this point in mythic BoD, Vengeance is the least progressed tank based on the mythic raid statistics, even below Guardian Druid.

Both Vengeance and Guardian need some tank improvements, as we are in the bottom tier of raid tanks and mythic plus tanking.

Admittedly we probably need an entire talent tree RE-work, Ion has said not to expect major changes until 9.0. We need to have some of our talents moves into our baseline kit: Spirit Bomb, Fracture, and Sigil of chains.

But if they could simple extend the duration of Demon Spikes by 2 seconds, add the darkness cooldown, and Buff meta - we could at least survive.

Literally, because our tankiness and survivability is lacking and that’s why pug groups don’t want us, nor guilds want to recruit us. Community perception, Blizzard.

(Mesmer) #183

It honestly does feel like we’re talking to a brick wall currently. I understand that there’s a lot of issues going on with every class right now, but to not have any sort of alterations since launch is extremely disheartening.

Normally I’m extremely patient when it comes to balance because I understand it takes a lot of time and effort, but our continuous lack of changes and communication makes me feel like we’re pushing for improvements that won’t happen and we’ll be stuck in this state well into the next few tiers.

I’ve seen others discuss how Havoc is currently performing relatively well in terms of both raiding and M+, and they believe lack of attention Vengeance is getting is a result of that since we can simply just swap to Havoc. It’s sad to say but I can almost understand where they’re coming from at this point.

It has been like this since beta. Long threads just asking for basic info on what blizz tank design was aiming for were ignored. It is hard to provide feedback when you do not even know what their design goals are. At this point it seems like tanks are just there to taunt swap at X stacks, and put our lives in healers hands (and try not to fall asleep).

(Bigdiggles) #185

If we had a third (ranged) spec if would be easier for people to swap specs for DH. Having 2 specs is a bit constrictive when it’s either melee dps or Tank.

Not saying it’s okay to neglect balancing specs, but when one spec is quite behind in terms of balance, it just makes it even worse because DH only have 2 spec options.

I don’t think anyone expects that Blizzard would add a third spec this expansion. We do (rightfully) expect Vengeance to be balanced, so we are not in the worst tier of tanks for an entire expansion. Historically Vengeance has never been top tier. We were mid tier for Legion, and with the removal of the artifact traits and legendary weapons we have fallen to the bottom.

(Tesarion) #186

So, I know that we’re not havoc, so it isn’t as important, because vengeance isn’t played much. But seriously, this whole mandatory single playstyle thing is pretty frustrating. And vengeance has been bottom of the barrel since release. I’d really like to hear if blizzard has any intentions of improving vengeance before next xpac, because it’s current state is really quite bad. People saying that vengeance is good in mythic plus… pretty much every tank is good in m+ right now.

Pain feels so incredibly meaningless ever since fracture was moved to being a builder rather than a spender. Pressing soul cleave feels so incredibly pointless.

Soul fragment auto consume on walkover REALLY sucks. Like, really bad. If you need proof, try running the fracture/spirit bomb build in a dungeon. See how often your fragments get auto consumed, especially in the smaller dungeons. This is unpreventable, and when this happens, it makes the rotation even more choppy. You’re sitting on max pain, 2 fragments when you should have 4, knowing you can’t soul cleave because it will consume and waste the fragments, you can immo aura which overcaps pain, throw glaive… which does nothing, or you can wait for the fracture recharge. Can soul fragments please not be consumed when we walk over them? A lot of the time they seem to literally spawn straight into us.

(Bigdiggles) #187

I don’t know what’s going on with Blizzard’s communication regarding spec design intentions.

We have provided feedback and evidence that Vengeance is significantly underpowered this expansion. Since 8.0 we have had no changes outside of minor Azerite adjustments.

We have also had ZERO communication from the devs regarding Vengeance and tank balance.

Having said all that, I don’t want to make a negative post with complaints and no inherent positive value, so here goes:

As a suggestion, what if there was some interplay with crit and the uptime of Demon Spike?

So for instance, either a flat modifier like for every 10% extra crit from gear, the duration of Demon Spikes is extended by 1 second.

Alternatively, for every time fracture crits (or shear, but everyone runs fracture and this is another issue entirely) the cooldown of Demon Spikes is reduced by .5 seconds.

These are both creative ways to deal with our largest weakness - our survivability due to large active mitigation windows. There are a mountain of additional issues that Vengeance faces with our talents, raid utility, and defensive cooldowns; but for now this would help us until the devs have time to make major changes.

there is zero communication from the devs regarding vengeance and tank balance because most of the community team (the same ones dealing with class feedback projects) just got fired, at this point the earliest meaningful changes this spec can expect is 8.2

(Bigdiggles) #189

Also, I don’t believe this has been posted in this thread before, but Soul Barrier has no reason to be on the GCD. It’s 100% strictly a defensive ability and boy does it feel bad when you die quickly because you were waiting on a GCD for your defensive ability. Happens more than you’d think.

(Bigdiggles) #190

Crickets and tumbleweeds.

To add to the soul barrier thing, Ion said they were still taking feedback on abilities that don’t have a reason to be on the GCD. Much like Ignore Pain, Soul Barrier has no reason to be on the GCD.

Also could Vengeance please be given the Darkness spell, as a tiny bit of added raid utility for the class that is most behind in Mythic Raid progression this tier.

(Reference: As of the time of this posting, VDH is the only tank class that hasn’t killed Mythic Jaina)

(Bigdiggles) #191

I had not posted this in the OP, but the burning Alive talent should allow fiery brand to instantly cleave onto all other enemies within range.

If you’re spending a talent, it should really have meaningful effects, and I think the second biggest problem with VDH is the overwhelmingly weak talent options. Biggest problem being active mitigation uptime and general squishiniss and survivability.

(Bigdiggles) #192

Been very hard to have hope for class improvements, when so many threads of genuine feedback have been met with cold silence. Does Bliz even acknowledge that there are issues here?