Vanilla to WotLK is World of Warcraft, to me. Cataclysm

Good conversations. :slightly_smiling_face: I do want to repeat that I am not saying the game stating at Cataclysm isn’t a good game or fun, just that it seemed so jarringly different that to me it wasn’t the same game any more, and I did not like it enough to play. I kept my subscription and dabbled in Pandaland and later but those games were (in my opinion) WAY too different, farming, garrisons, navel fleets, WhyTheFlowers!?! :smile:

And I acknowledge that the WotLK I am playing has been “spiffed” up and is not the same as the original, but it feels (to me) like the bones are still there, the framework that I remember. I have been really having tons of fun and as of last Friday, I am a Kingslayer. :crazy_face: (thank you 30% buff, case in point)

I like this version of the game and don’t like that version of the game, therefore everyone else thinks the same, so I can’t understand why Blizzard would do a classic version of the game that no one likes!!!1111one!

Am I doing this right?

1 Like

Yes, you did it right.
However you missed to the part where you give arguments that are completely subjective and turn them into facts. For example: EVERYONE KNOWS THE GAME DIED.

You’re back to thinking everyone agreed with your fee fees. Cata lost 20% of it’s subs from it’s pre-patch high. 80% paid $15 every month for 2 years. The majority, 80% liked Cata.

2 Likes

Imagine saying an 8 year old mmo that still had 10 million subs was majority hated.

What he means is he hated it, therefore everyone must have!

There were things I didn’t like about the expansion, and there were things I did like. Overall I think it’s worth playing. My bigger concern is how the Classic team will destroy it with their terrible changes.

5 Likes

They’re all different games.

tldr another classic andy wants to arbitrarily draw the “Classic” line between the game he likes and the game he doesn’t like. Will still silently be in cata anyways because he lacks the conviction to follow through and quit.

How does that quote go again?

:axe: I think it is

2 Likes

I’m not even convinced he hated it. Some people just like to jump on the band wagon. When there’s a popular complaint on the forum some people just want to be part of the crowd.

1 Like

When I hear people say this, I think it’s important for them to identify the individual features that “ruined” the game in their mind.

For me personally, it was - first and foremost - the dungeon finder. You’re a ninja? No problem, you can group. You’re the antithesis to community? No problem, you can group. You don’t care to learn how to properly play your class? No problem, group up.

We collect and grind toward all sorts of reputations within the game…but none were more important or came with greater rewards than the reputation we cultivated among our peers.

I respect so many things about retail. However, I’m happiest when playing pre-dungeon finder versions of this game. That’s me. I hope Blizzard maintains at least 1x RP-PVP server like this. It’s what brought me back.

Honorable Mention: Far too many transportation / quick-travel options now. :wink:

Dungeon finder, a feature in Wrath def did change WoW, more than most people contribute it to. I agree with you.

1 Like

I assume you mean in Retail, and thats really only due to Retail trying to have storylines that extend across so many zones and continents.

Outland and Northrend are sort of ideal in that they very rarely have you go back to old Classic zones; you don’t need that sort of quality of life when everything is in a few closely packed zones.

I’m looking forward to cata pvp. Spirit mend from my BM hunter’s pet and priest attonement healing, yes please.

Cataclysm is the direct sequel to Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness and one of the best PvP Expansions in WoW history.

2 Likes

Dungeon Finder was the killing blow of WoW design. It cultivated a playerbase that played solo, it led to future game mechanics that rewarded solo play (LFR, personal loot, titanforging, etc.), and it caused Blizzard to have to create content that could be completed without strategy or communication.

Mythic Plus was a system to put a bandaid on this issue, but the game lost millions of players not because of talent changes or zone changes or anything like that, but rather the destruction of the need, at all, to socialize which made the game feel so lifeless for the last 10+ years.

Cata has atonement.
I like atonement.

I find it funny when people say that, like do they think the same for retail expansions? Do they think that their Dragonflight characters are deleted when The War Within comes out?

It’s laughable.

1 Like

Retail have been in this treadmill forever. Every 2 years chars get deleted and everyone riots. /s

1 Like

I mean despite sunk cost, and being the established game of the mmo genre, and all that they lost ~24% of their subs, which is startling as is the idiotic idea that the people who like cata being in the majority, it really is a stupid idea when people consider how attached people were to vanilla through wrath, and how cata lost 24% of players. As for the exodus we have to remember that people generally know what might happen if they progress beyond cata to mop/legion.

Though I am not sure there might be a tbc because unlike wrath the posts which express a like of wrath are removed while that doesn’t happen to pro-tbc posts. If they do revisit tbc wod might be a good time to do so people will have sod to cover for cata and tbc+ to cover for wod.

4 Likes

That’s really not true. Wrath was when many established players unsubbed. We know there always was a lot of churn, players who quit and new players subbing. Wrath had the most churn, so much that all the new players were called wrath babies. Yet it flat lined for 2 years. Only blizzard has the exact data but if there were a lot of new players and subs flat lined than wrath lost a lot of established players.

1 Like

Wrath went to 12m, cata 9.1 deal with it. It is true so just stop being so dumb. So no wrath had a net increase before it hit a peak cata really dropped the ball. The subs dropped during original cata with some resubs at new expansion starts.

4 Likes

It’s kinda a matter of semantics but, ultimately, I can agree with you even though Im not experienced enough on the game itself.

This is really cool because “classic” could be viewed in different ways and what you say is one of those so-called viewpoints.

Who owns the art?

What is the majority vote of the people lol really cool stuff. Cheers!!!