Val'kyr and the Jailer

Pretty sure he’s just referring to Sylvanas ordering the burning down of the Night Elves’ capital and the people that were still on it.

I agree Tyrande should have been able to one-shot Nathanos. That is something I was very pissed about on these forums for months, however, we know now that he was being powered up significantly by two of the Val’kyr who were channeling the Death magic Sylvanas had obtained from the Jailer. The big bad guy who has been around supposedly since the start of the universe. I’d say that makes Tyrande pretty strong after taking on Death powered Nathanos, breaking the same chains that held the Lich King from two Val’kyr, and then one shotting one of the Val’kyr.

5 Likes

Well I still found it really really stupid that they had to find a reason to deny Tyrande atleast some minor justice by giving Nathanos these Val’kyr and denying the NE the kill. No matter how you turn it, it doesn’t make sense for an overall satisfying and neutral narrative. Letting Nathanos live in 8.1 turned out as a horrible mistake, and letting him live forever will turn out even more stupid.

Also I don’t think Tyrande and Bolvar should be comparable tbh, Bolvar is overall a rather weak character while Tyrande is supposed to be one of the strongest on Azeroth now.

Unfortunately part of the minor justice was killing one of the Val’kyr, which was less than a setback now.

Fortunately, however, another part of the minor justice was wiping out the first contact Horde at Darkshore so that the Night Elves could get the canon win of the Darkshore Warfront itself after and reclaim their land.

Though, as we saw in the Well of Eternity dungeon back in Cataclysm, Tyrande was already capable of wiping out large numbers of enemies on her own, so the Night Warrior enhancement wasn’t really necessary for that, but it was what it was nonetheless.

6 Likes

Tyrande will apparently have a big role in Ardenweald and I’ve heard nothing about Nathanos so far in Shadowlands. So perhaps they will have a rematch with Tyrande killing Nathanos?

5 Likes

When Sylvanas revealed her powers that was made note of by the characters like Jaina. Tyrande or Malfurion didn’t make any note of Nathanos’ powers or the Val’kyr. If they were getting a strange power boost somehow that would have been mentioned by someone to indicate something was off or they were more powerful than they expected. Nothing was mentioned and Tyrande as the night warrior was just unable to beat or stop Nathanos and needed Malfurion as well just to make him retreat but failing to stop him from completing his goal and losing a lot of night elf dead to the horde in the process.

We will have to see if the night warrior power up is able to do anything, but right now the only reason it is in the game seems to be to just give night elves a cosmetic eye option to match blood elves, other than that it has been irrelevant and not shown to be very powerful.

I obviously disagree with you. Neither Tyrande nor Malfurion have had any combat against the Val’kyr - the Val’kyr were also notably absent during the War of the Thorns - so the Night Elf leaders wouldn’t know anything was amiss, unlike Lor’themar who had fought by the Banshee Queen’s side enough to know what her powers were.

Players were questioning when it had become the case that Val’kyr could raise Night Elves at all, and though ultimately we just chalked it up to inconsistent writing, there had been suspicion on the Val’kyr from then as well, if not brought up by the lore characters themselves.

6 Likes