Vague tank question

So I need to tank cause everyone refuses to accept my m+ requests. I do know how prot works, I know how to juggle shield blocks with last stand but my problem is managing the rage to do so.

I guess my question is… is there a rotation to make prot feel fluid? It feels clunky to me. I know that’s probably due to my mistakes. but is there a “trick” or rotation to always have rage for SBs and IPs? In a fluid way?

I’m sure I could figure it out after enough runs but anything to speed up the process would be appreciated lol.

Memory of lucid dreams minor for rage refund and Booming Voice talent for on demand 40 rage. Anger management also so the cooldown for demo shout/booming voice is low.

1 Like

You could lead as a dps .

Only use revenge on procs. Dont waste the rage on that otherwise what the previous posters have said.

1 Like

Feels like I lose aggro at times if I save revenge for a proc?

You can worry about tossing in extra revenge casts once you’re defensively sound. In the meantime, focus on learning how not to die–i.e. how to manage your rage. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, clap is your friend. Cast it as often as possible and spread your shield slams about the pack. It is skittish week, by the way, so it’s a great week to practice holding aggro.

You’ll get the hang of it.

1 Like

If you are having a hard time with rage that you can only use revenge on proc, it’s probably cause you’re spamming IP.

Also, just listen to whatever Vadimier says, only good tank the regularly post here.

3 Likes

It feels like there is a huge-check list and not enough time as prot war. Avatar, thunder clap, shield bash, shield block, ip, then focus on keeping aggro but the time you’re done with all the global’s your Azerite Beaming ally is half hp from all the aggro haha. Maybe I’m over thinking it. I dunno I’ll figure it out eventually.

Shield Block / Ignore Pain aren’t on the global CD so you can use them as needed without changing your offensive rotation.

During avatar though, every other global should be thunderclap. I like to stick avatar up slightly before I charge so an example of going into a melee pack is something like, avatar -> charge -> demo -> clap -> SB + SS -> clap -> IP -> devastate/SS/revenge -> clap and so on, using defensive CDs, stuns, and interrupts as needed.

It seems like a lot to manage but once it clicks you’ll be a tanking machine. It’s really all about practice. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dude i just learned today that each essence slot increases threat by a substantial amount. I was thinking I was doing something wrong this whole time, it felt impossible to do all of that and keep threat. I unlocked my 3rd slot last night and have been having no issues tanking at all lol. Those tips you provided helped though, appreciated!

2 Likes

I thought the essence slot = threat was coming in patch 8.3?

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/heart-of-azeroth-and-tank-threat/387242

The blue post about it says that it is coming in 8.3

Its definately on live, check wowhead. I think the changes are to increase threat for all levels so low level tanks dont get punished as hard. They’re already doing less damage anyway so threat is already harder to manage.

2 Likes

There a numerous experienced prot warriors on this forum so to say he is the “only” goes your lack of knowledge of our regulars

And who would that be?

Try tanking revenge off your bars and see if the problem persists. if so, then you’re using it too much. If not, you’re likely draining it through IP.