US West Servers are in Europe?

Trying to figure out the abnormal latency to US West (specifically Garrosh) I noticed that US West IP ends up in France. Seems like a odd location for American servers. If traffic has to be routed to Europe and back I can understand the latency, so there is no choice – either accept the latency or move to a US East server? Is there no other way?

U.S. Servers are only located in chicago and LA. garrosh is in LA.

If you’re testing latency you should be using 137.221.105.2 for us west.

sometimes blizzard hops do show up online as in the netherlands or europe, i’ve never seen france before, but if they do that isn’t showing their physical location just the business address given when it was registered.

Nah that’s false. You don’t jump +50ms over a hop from the US to a Netherlands IP without going across the ocean. And it doesn’t end up in France lol. Unless Blizzard is routing the traffic across a European connection for some reason…which I suppose they MIGHT be if they have a bulk traffic deal or something with a European backbone provider ie, cheaper to run the servers on unlimited bandwidth going across the ocean than pay for higher quality bandwidth in the US? It’d be interesting to learn what the business justification is.

The locations of IP addresses are based on where the company that registered them offices is. Tata has locations in the United States for example but they show up as being in India. A lot of AT&t’s addresses show up as being in Kansas.

Nah, IPs are assigned to countries / regions. The only way an American server is getting a European IP is if the server is routing to a European IP for some reason. I’m sure there’s a business reason for doing that, and US West players suffer higher latency as a result. Also, 70-80ms isn’t bad at all for Europe so I assume that was a compromise Blizzard figured out. It’s a pretty good route. I used Proton VPN hoping it would put me on a high-quality backbone route to US West – and it did, but going to Europe is going to Europe and losing 1 or 2 hops barely made a difference.

Actually that would be incorrect. There are many IP address that state they are in one country but in another.

**"geolocation"** of an **IP address** is based on the business **address** of the ISP to which that **IP address** has been assigned.

1 Like

If you were really going acrost the ocean and back it would be more like 200 ms

1 Like

Nah, IP addresses are given out based on country / region. They can be routed anywhere though so a machine located in one region can have an IP address of another region. But, if the servers are in fact located in the US why is +50ms latency added across one hop while no such increase happens to US East?

From New York to Europe is 70 MS. You’d have 70 MS Plus 70ms 140 MS minimum. Actually they are not and then there are also portable IP addresses. Same reason why the Australian blizzard servers show up as Singapore. Two of the blizzard IP addresses show up as Europe but they’re not in Europe you can argue all you want but you are wrong.

However, these services don't always work as expected, as geolocating IP addresses is not always reliable. Sometimes the IP addresses in question may be owned by multi-national companies; for example, a Dutch company may own IP addresses which are located in Japan. There are multiple different GeoIP database providers who try to map the IP addresses to different countries and cities, but these databases are not comprehensive and may not have the correct information to begin with. The IP addresses in our Japan example may still show up as Dutch IP addresses according to the GeoIP services.

1 Like

There are many reasons why you would get a 50 ms jump without leaving the us. Like being routed from Utah to Chicago and back to the us west blizzard servers. New York to Paris current average ping [77.521ms]. Cost to coast is 73.515ms se(https://wondernetwork.com/pings/New+York/Paris)

ISP like to route on there own networks so if they can get you from Texas to west coast servers via Seattle they will.

1 Like

Something strange going on today, getting 380ms from Perth to LA servers when doing arena. Tested to see if it was a hiccup, and if I join Whitemane server it’s 350-380ms consistent.

Normally get 180-184ms solid, checked my tracert and it comes out in LA at 180ms then more than doubles when entering the data centre. Checked with ISP, and they believe it is something on Blizzard’s end as they are getting 180ms wit 0.1% jitter.

There is no US East server, there is only US Central (Chicago) and US West (Las Vegas). The Los Angeles server relocated to Las Vegas.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.