Upgrade help? (I'm clueless)

Looking at upgrading my PC, but I have no idea what I’m doing.
For someone who spends a lot of time playing pc games, I know basically nothing about computers.
Here’s what I’ve got now:
Core i5-2320 3.00ghz
8 GB RAM
Windows 7
NVIDIA GTX 650

I run WoW on 6, but then turn down a bunch of setting like liquid detail, shadows, ground clutter, ect. to good/fair. I get about 48-58 fps in old world zones, and 27-45 in newer zones like Zandalar. Takes me quite a while to load into New Dalaran or some instances. (Often several minutes)

Worth it for me to upgrade? I haven’t played on a brand new desktop so I don’t have anything to compare to.
Have a friend who can help me build it, but I don’t know how high quality I should go with parts to play games like WoW & Overwatch.

Yes, itd be quite a better experience if you upgraded.

How far to upgrade depends on your budget and desired settings/performance.

What kind of specs would I need to run most games on high/ultra settings and still have decent FPS?
What kind of budget range am I looking at for that?

by “most games” do you mean Blizzard games or AAA games?

And what resolution? I take it 1080p is probably OK with you?

Yeah, 1080p is the goal.
I mostly play Blizzard games. WoW and Overwatch in particular.
80v80 PvP on Emerald Dream probably makes my gameplay a bit more taxing than normal for this game. (But there’s a ton of server lag that has nothing to do with my computer in those situations, so I don’t expect any kind of performance there.)

This is actually somewhat overkill - it would actually do 1440p in a lot of games. I went this route because the 1070Ti AMP here is actually on sale pretty cheap (only 30$ more than the non-Ti) and will provide you with some decent future proofing for 1080p.

You could go cheaper by going with a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580 (depending on prices, the 580 is usually the better buy right now), and those will both do 1080p just fine (and be about ~120$ cheaper).

The rest of the parts i’d suggest keeping regardless. The R5 2600 is the sweet spot right now unless you’re going enthusiast-level and would go with an unlockd Intel chip (which would be more expensive).

You can overclock the 2600 to 3.8-4.0 Ghz with few if any problems.

You could go lower-end if your budget wont stretch:

This has a Quad-core CPU instead of a Six-core CPU, slightly slower RAM and only 8GB (though that is fine for most Blizzard games), a smaller SSD, and an RX 580 8GB instead of the GTX 1070Ti.

It will still do 1080p/60 just fine but you will find that youll have to upgrade it much sooner, whereas the top build will probably last unchanged for 4-5 years for 1080p gaming.

Both builds assume youll be bringing over some slow mass storage from your old build (your old Hard Drive). Otherwise youll want to budget about 45$ for a decent 1TB drive from Western Digital or Seagate.

1 Like