Unpopular WRA Opinions

I’m not finding where it takes shots from guns equal or greater to the heavy anti-air blast that took down the Xenedar. But even assuming that the Vindicaar is stronger than the Xenedar and can withstand the same type of shot that took down the Xenedar, I think it’s just an assumption that the Horde has nothing equal or stronger that could do damage. I think it’s just an assumption that Azerite weapons wouldn’t be able to scratch it either. And I for sure think it’s just headcanon that Light’s Judgment could take out any mech/tank/warship/airship the Horde could muster.

I still see no evidence to suggest that the Vindicaar is somehow this trump card that the Alliance just hasn’t used. I see no definitive proof that it would end the war with its complete battlefield superiority if it were only utilized. I’m sure it would have some effect, of course. The ship isn’t helpless. But the stance that it is this secret haymaker just waiting in the wings is the position I can’t justify.

This too. Horde forces have been aboard the ship before. They could even know weaknesses to exploit after seeing the ship’s limitations first hand.

1 Like

I think it’s more just that the Vindicaar is another one of those super-powered war machines/relics/heroes that the Alliance has that aren’t actually used intelligently for the sake of “balance” as stated earlier.

It’s been that way for a while, and we all know that, but it always feels like Blizzard should just… stop giving the Alliance stuff like that. Stop giving us super-powered mega-mages and ultra druids like Jaina & Malfurion. Stop giving us stuff like the staff of Lei Shin that Jaina had, or the Vindicaar, or […] if we aren’t going to actually be allowed to use them to any meaningful effect on the story.

Ultimately the Horde can always defeat/survive against those demigod characters and weapons the Alliance has using only rocks and sticks anyways, so in the end it makes all the power of the Alliance’s toys feel more like a stepping stone to prove how Badass & Awesome the Horde’s heroes are.

9 Likes

It’s fair to not want demigod-type characters and weapons to be running amok while their lack of use goes unexplained. I guess I’m just questioning where the notion that the Vindicaar is indeed one of these things comes from in the first place and trying to see if there is something I missed where it was definitively shown to be.

You do see it taking fire from Antorus and we also shoot through Antorus’ defenses using the Vindicaar’s holy laser thing. It also survives the entire campaign where other ships were shot down and so on. It’s easy to imagine why people think it should be more of an issue for the faction war than it actually is.

As I said, it’s just become another thing that the Alliance has that should be used to full effect against their enemies–Horde or otherwise–but isn’t because, obviously, it would be pretty… unbalanced, I guess, lore-wise.

1 Like

They have effects on the story at hand. That’s the tricky part about any setting with anything the least bit powerful in a serialized story, though. It always becomes a matter of “why don’t they just…” and then you spend more time trying to answer that than telling an actual story. Now whether the actual story you end up with otherwise is good or bad depends on a whole host of other things, but it’s rarely a matter of whether or not someone answered the “why didn’t they just do blank” question.

Also curious though that the Horde just can’t EVER seem to finish off the Alliance- even though the Alliance never strikes first, always fights with one hand behind its back, and isn’t mostly populated by 7+ft tall 300lbs people hailing from a culture where you’re trained with a spear almost as soon as you can walk.

There’s a lot of genre conventions being exploited all around.

The only shots I recall the Vindicaar taking are smaller shots and not as large or powerful as the one that took down the Xenedar. I may be missing something here, but I can’t find a cinematic or anything else that shows a shot of the same caliber hitting the Vindicaar. So for me, that explains why it survives while the Xenedar is shot down. Then it makes a hole in the wall for us to enter Antorus and again for us to progress about halfway through the raid. Both of those instances of using the weapon are a far stretch from it being a crazy overpowered death laser that can carry out wacky orbital strikes and decimate huge swaths of enemies or territory.

I dunno. I just don’t see what other people see. And that’s okay. I just figured I’d maybe throw the question out there since it’s been sitting in my mind ever since I first saw the topic raised.

1 Like

“You either die a villian or live long enough to see yourself become the hero.”
-Sylvanas in 8.3 after defeating N’zoth by herself

2 Likes

I just did the Mag’har scenario and as near as I can tell, Yrel is supposed to be the bad guy because she wants to convert the Orcs because they’re murderous and choking the life from Draenor?

Which is…not inaccurate? I guess that’s my unpopular opinion.

My hot (okay, dumb) take about the Mag’har scenario is that Yrel is supposed to be a villainous SJW coming to cure the Orcs of wrongthink.

Yeah I was super confused by that. Mostly because Draenor seemed fine? So both parties saying the other was killing it didn’t make sense to me. It seemed like Grom’s idea was that the Light was somehow killing the world?

And then Yrel said the orcs were, but you didn’t see them doing anything. They were living in little tent villages and stuff, I’m not sure what about that was killing the planet. The entire scenario felt like it was about a third written, tbh.

I think the implication was that Razorbloom was once thriving and now is dusty and desolate? But I don’t know how you’d tell the difference–Draenor has always been kind of a hole.

Unpopular opinion here.

I actually think it would make for an interesting story if we saw more of the Lightsworn but ended up finding that Yrel was sent into exile and someone stole her identity because we haven’t had a good impostor storyline in awhile.

1 Like

I’d actually like it more if Xe’ra was proven to be a fanatic amongst the Naaru, and everything she’s told us, and to the Naaru descended from her or that she ‘found’ is a distortion of the truth.

She’s not THE Prime Naaru, she’s A Prime Naaru, and the rest of the Naaru outside of her children and those she swayed to her cause are utterly horrified at what she’s done and see lightforging/binding as an abomination.

It would also explain why the Shattari came to Outland, and not Xe’ra’s descendants. Once Velen ‘failed’, Xe’ra just shrugged and abandoned them as another failure, and then came back with a bunch of lies after the Shattari helped the Draenei come stumbling to Azeroth because if she didn’t, her lies and plots would inevitably have been exposed and she never would have gotten Illidan Lightbound and serving her cause.

Xe’ra died because she had to rush her agenda and grossly underestimated Illidan’s will to survive, to be himself, however loathed and despised by the people he loved, and got glitter-bombed out of existence.

Except Naaru are multi-versal beings and the rest of her aspects across the various realities are now extremely P.O.ed at us for letting it happen and she’s creating a new Army of Light to come and do the job herself, hang the prophecies and screw the rules.

5 Likes

Darn crazy windchimes and their glow in the dark armies.

1 Like

It’s heavily implied that the Light is searing the land similar to fel; that there’s an oversaturation of the Draenei’s Light magic that’s killing things off.

2 Likes

Also that the Army of Light has strip-mined the planet even faster than the Iron Horde could to furnish their armies.

While I’m still of the opinion that Grom became Warchief because all the other options were either Lightforged, Lightbound or dead, and he’s the only veteran left who knows how to lead and motivate an army under such dire circumstances, I don’t exactly trust him. Yes, Grom might not lie, but he’s certainly not afraid to omit certain key facts.

He’s done it twice at least in both timelines, both versions of himself. And while I don’t think the Mag’har are entirely faultless in the scenario, it’s pretty plain to see they’re not only the under-dogs in the situation, but they’re the defenders rather than the aggressors to the whole Lightbinding of Draenor angle High Exarch Comrade Yrel is going for.

Seriously, I can’t wait for her to pop back up and tell the Alliance Adventurers that she’s taken inspiration from their actions during their campaign on Draenor and to hear peoples’ blood run cold in response.

Uhm, what was the other unpopular opinion I had? Uhmmm … oh right, the shades.

For those of us who play Horde, or both factions, when you’re fighting the ‘Shades’ during the Vol’jin arc of the War Campaign, when you first meet them, some of them will utter this line:

“We tried … to spare you … the truth …”

Why would knowing who was behind Vol’jin’s death and subsequent banishment to and then return from the Other Side, the Shadow Lands, be something bad?

And this ‘we’ they use. Is it the Shades themselves, or are they merely servants of a greater power still? Their similarity to the old ghost model is not coincidence, but their appearance is more that of a hooded figure rather than ragged robes and cowl of ‘normal’ ghosts.

And later on, at the Broken Shore helping Vol’jin recover his lost memories and trying to understand why the Loa weren’t able to aid him during that awful battle, and once more when you’re at the gates of Orgrimmar where he’s pondering just who spoke through him to name Sylvanas as Warchief, the Shades that spawn say another, more ominous line:

“You seek forbidden knowledge.”

Why is this knowledge forbidden? What is so awful about mortal races knowing what lies beyond the veil of death? Why does Bwonsamdi refer to himself, Arthas and Eyir as ‘anchors’ between this world and the Other Side? Is there literally no paradise like so many races speak of, the Trolls ‘Other Side’, the Endless Plains of the Tauren afterlife, the hazy boundary that the Orcish Ancestor Spirits dwell in to guide and protect their descendants?

Yet we’ve seen all of these things, or at least we’ve seen evidence of their existence.

Does that mean that if you don’t somehow fit with your race’s beliefs, or a big enough belief system, that you’ll simply go to the Shadow Lands and be trapped in a murky, distorted version of reality until you go mad and lose all sense of ego, dissolving into the plane? Or is it that all forms of afterlife are merely methods of processing souls to create new souls in a form of reincarnation, that there is no ‘eternal peace’, just perpetually being put through the meat grinder of life?

Is that why the Night Elves never really recovered? Because many of their dead become Wisps and thus servants of Cenarius? They never properly go through the cycle and thus starve Elune, their ‘Anchor’, of the souls needed to fuel herself, and this is why she’s so powerless and passive compared to all the other Demi-Gods and similarly-powerful entities vying for our worship?

There’s so many ways this could go and I just want to know what it all means!

4 Likes

I don’t not believe you, but where is this? I totally missed this lol

Broken Draenei should have been one of the allied races pre-BFA.

There was a perfect opportunity to introduce them as a playable race in Argus, especially considering that unlocking void elves is tied to their faction.

It would have made much more sense narratively, and I’m kind of sore that we’ll probably never have them as an option now. We lost our best chance to see them added in favor of super-Saiyan Draenei and a race that was introduced in the quest you unlock them.

It would have offered a contrast to regular Draenei and filled the same niche that void elves do in the Alliance. Could have had the same racials and everything.

Blizzard obviously made the right choice in terms of a business decision as void elves are obviously very popular, at least.

Hopefully one day we get a toy with a low cooldown that lets us play as Krokul.

5 Likes

Void Elves are hot, Broken are not.

Not a satisfactory reason, but it’s the only one we have.

3 Likes

I mean, if you’re into the tentacle fetish sure…

I think I will stick to plotting to do For Honor style executions on them, personally.