Unpopular WRA Opinions

Right then. Someone contact the nice men with guns. Gentarn needs a visit to the ‘Happy Camps’ in Northrend.

1 Like

What makes it even funnier is that, if I am recalling this correctly, both male and female Pandaren use identical head-rigs, one for males, one for females, and it’s just fur colouration/patterns and similar options that grant them their different ‘faces’.

So literally a dose of hair-dye, some different ornaments to hold a new hairstyle in place and a different tabard and bang, you’re the greatest infiltrator known to your Megafaction because you can just walk right on in and, in theory, nobody should be able to tell you signed on to the other side.

If I didn’t dislike pandaren so much, I might have stolen that as a character concept.

The faction conflict, to me, is still the best part of Warcraft. Both as a narrative device and as a brand identity.

:man_shrugging:t6:

9 Likes

Shorter RP posts are better than long RP posts.

11 Likes

I think it would be if it was done right, but Blizzard can’t write it well at all. It just ends up being nonsensical crap.

Case and point, the Alliance has the Vindicaar, they could just annihilate the Horde from space with laser beams yet we don’t do it… why? Because Blizzard sucks at writing faction conflict. They could have easily wrote off the Vindicaar by having a short questline where Turalyon tells us it ran out of fuel on the trip back from Argus. Boom, easy, done. We have a reason for why the Alliance isn’t using it, but as it is now the Alliance looks like a bunch of idiots running around not using their greatest weapon because Blizzard is ignoring the Vindicaar.

2 Likes

I always considered the mere existence of the Vindicaar to be more an issue.

One can similarly ask why the heroes spent so much time personally facing down overwhelming threats in Argus when it would have been a lot more convenient for the Vindicaar to hover out of enemy engagement range and just rain down a barrage of overpowered energy beams.

Spending time in-story discussing why it’s not present in the current conflict seems just as contrived to me as just ignoring it.

It’s just not relevant to the story being told.

1 Like

That’s a really good point, but that doesn’t change the fact that right now the Alliance DOES have the Vindicaar and are just blatantly ignoring it (in-lore anyways really it’s just Blizzard ignoring it.)

It’s just one of those things that makes this faction war look stupid. Or how the Alliance showed up to Undercity, the Blight capital, and didn’t expect Sylvanas to use it??? What? Even after Genn has first hand experience with her using it on his kingdom…

The whole thing is bad. I would like to enjoy the faction war, but Blizzard is so bad at writing it that it is very hard to get behind it. The problem just boils down to the fact that it’s an MMO and they can’t actually do anything that will punish either faction. There will never be a clear winner.

Having to maintain the status quo is indeed one the biggest limitations of WoW (and most MMOs). It presents them with same conundrums as most long running franchises like comic books, TV shows- and forces the writers to use a lot of the same tricks and tropes.

2 Likes

I enjoy roleplaying as the villian for a guild’s events even if it means killing my main to make the story even better; this warlock has been from getting his head chopped off as an orc; changed into a troll but got his brain scrambled by a shadow priest; changed back into an orc dying to the Alliance during a RP-PVP event; turned into an undead to be killed by a (titan) watcher; and back into Des’louk for reasons.

2 Likes

Being a villain sounds expensive.

7 Likes

I’ve seen this point brought up many times since BfA pre-patch, but I have to ask: why are people assuming this? I remember the Xenedar, a ship much more impressive in scope, being shot down by a single Legion heavy artillery demon upon first unlocking Argus. Then I remember that we salvage Light’s Judgment, the laser cannon that everyone is familiar with, and retrofit it onto the Vindicaar. After that, I remember using it as an ability that couldn’t even one-shot normal Argus mobs. I also remember it being used to punch a small hole in the side of Antorus so that we could get through.

Did I miss where it was shown to be more impressive? From what I gather, the Vindicaar had Light shields that were able to hold out against lighter anti-air attacks from Legion demons, but it was never hit directly by one of the heavy artillery/flak shots like the Xenedar was. That leads me to believe that the ship isn’t really THAT resilient. I also realize that the Light’s Judgment Vindicaar Matrix ability we use on Argus has that gameplay mechanic versus Lore power thing going for it, but I just don’t see where the weapon was ever portrayed as being that powerful. If we could just rain laser Light death down indiscriminately from orbit, wouldn’t we have done that on Argus itself? The weapon was also built for another ship and retrofitted onto the Vindicaar once we salvaged it. It seemed to have a charge-up/cool-down period that would prevent it from being fired particularly rapidly. Instead, it seemed to be a more surgical strike type of thing with limited use and viability.

Given all of that, I always figured it wasn’t being actively used because it’s the last ship of its kind in existence. It’s the base for the lightforged and not something they want to risk given what happened to their last ship and the current ship’s limited offensive and defensive capability. So I could be wrong. I could be failing to remember something that happened where we were shown that the Vindicaar and its new main weapons are far more powerful than I’ve described. But I can’t for the life of me remember anything like that.

3 Likes

Except for Tempest Keep and its Exodar-equivalent substructures. Which, umm… who owns those now??

1 Like

peeks over ledge

I do, stay out!

7 Likes

Are those even still fully-functional? Have the lightforged or regular draenei tried to reclaim them since they were cleared out during BC? Are they even on par with the Vindicaar?

These are all things I would ask before drawing more conclusions. But my point about the laser beams of death still stands. Where is it shown that Light’s Judgment is an orbital laser nuke?

1 Like

It is one of many areas where we just have to rely on headcanon. They’re probably different from the Vindicaar, since the Vindicaar is a Draenei-built ship designed specifically to attack the Legion, whereas Tempest Keep (and by extension the Exodar, the Mechanar, etc) is a Naaru-built ship with various purposes (including transporting Naaru, holding prisoners, cultivating plant/animal life, and developing tech).

The last time the story has acknowledged Tempest Keep was in Legion, where there is a quest to stop an arcatraz jailbreak where the Legion is trying to free a demon.

So apparently the Arcatraz at least is still in use in some capacity, and somebody must be maintaining it… though in the quest the only inhabitants we see are blood elf golems (??) I think. It really raised more questions than it answered.

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember that quest. I also agree that the TK ships seem to have different functions than the Vindicaar. But you’re right. It does seem to be a matter of headcanon.

It’s not.

It’s a big gun, not a WMD. So the Vindicaar would be a very, very good battlewagon. It took the shots from the main guns protecting the Antorus, which seemed to me to be roughly the equal, if not the better, of the gun that took out the Xenedar. It would be pretty much immune to any direct assault the Horde could muster on it as things stand. It would also be able to, say, take out any large azerite mechs/tanks/warships/airships that the Horde may muster.

“Our new battleship is completely unstoppable! This war is over! Watch as the enemy quakes with fear before our might! Glory to (insert your choice of organization here)!”

You’re just begging for a strike team or lone craft piloted by a “hero” to undergo an unlikely mission that sees it completely destroyed before it can do enough damage to actually disrupt the status quo too much. Might as well blow it up yourself so you can spare us the “will they/won’t they” sub-polt between the two characters we know totally have feelings for each other, but have held back from acting on it because of their multiple personal issues.

That’s always been the genre/tone of the WoW franchise. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I mean, it might be pretty easy for the Horde to take it down now. With the BElves and Nightborne with their teleportation and portal skills? Seems pretty easy to just port half a dozen orcs and tauren up there.

I mean, BElves made a magical gate that shuttled people from Outland to Bloodmyst, so…

1 Like