Unpopular opinion, Mythic + sucks!

I’m not sure if anyone else out there agrees with me that Mythic + is kind of a crappy system for a MMO? I’m guessing not so much since I see so much praise for it. I honestly don’t get why people love it?

I often wondered how much of the actual player base even bothers with the higher keys or runs dungeons past Mythic at all?

They could have went so many different directions with dungeons instead of slapping a timer on it and just beefing up the health, upping the damage of the mobs and putting the gimmicky affixes on them. The entire system feels so lazy.

They could have added optional bosses that spawn randomly, like in the old days, added puzzles, Ulduar style hard modes, maybe even have different wings available randomly. I’m just a dumb gamer here, I’m sure there are probably some other neat ideas that would make dungeons feel like RPG dungeons again, instead of the button mash 30 min runs they are now.

Yes I know M+ is hard, I’m not refuting that here!

I just feel like the entire M+ (Greater Rifts) system just feels out of place in WoW, this system should have stayed in Diablo 3 along with all the other crappy systems those developers brought with them! I feel like their ideas along with this push to make WoW PVE an e-sport have really killed the RPG flavor of the game.

130 Likes

I think the most glaring problem with Mythic+ isn’t the difficulty, it’s the Literal Russian Roulette everyone goes through just for a “chance” at gear.

We shouldn’t have to be forced to get destroyed thousands of times if things go wrong, just to get nothing in the chest at the end.

Luck based systems for gear never works and it turns people off or burns them out.

Grinding IO score is a problem, but I won’t target that because it makes people work to earn trust.

16 Likes

M+ finally made 5 man content relevant after the first few weeks of the expansion.

Optional bosses, puzzles, different wings available. Those wouldn’t change anything. 5 man content would still be trivial and useless a few weeks after the expansion started.

21 Likes

Sure if you have the time to grind the Mythic + all day long it is great. This system is so anti-casual and flies in the face of traditional MMO dungeon design.

It is a crap system that was lifted from Diablo 3 that didn’t have any forethought as to it’s impact on WoW.

They implemented it to push WoW PVE into the e-sport scene and I think it’s existence is one of the main reason classes are so boring to play now. A lot of the class design is being balanced around this Action RPG style of dungeons.

I’m all for having dungeon content be extended longer into an expansions cycle, but this style just doesn’t fit for an MMO imo.

I wonder why older versions of the game didn’t have this issue though? People ran dungeons the entirety of Vanilla, TBC, Wrath and Cata to some extent. It wasn’t an issue until they starting raining gear from the sky from all the other trivial content in the game along with the just crazy catch up mechanics they put into place.

People can bash Vanilla all they want and even TBC, but I think that was the golden age of dungeon running in this game.

30 Likes

Once upon a time, a great evil descended on gaming. It was called Esports.

Esports promised everyone untold profits and sponsorship deals. It was responsible for 5 man teams being sold for actual millions across many games, including games that did not fit its conventional style.

A hapless company known for its poor choices saw an opportunity to grab a slice of the Esports pie. But how? Innovative content? A new IP? No. The answer was speed running. Pushaw to engaging content, Begone well implemented systems. Speed running is what the kids love they said.

And now dear readers, our hapless company waits nervously for the promised fountains of gold and diamond clad endorsements to appear, while the single biggest event of each raid tier is adorned from top to bottom with brand names and is entirely unaffiliated. Poor hapless company, will you never learn?

59 Likes

Why do you need to grind m+ all day long?

5 Likes

I have to agree-I really enjoyed them in Legion but I find myself doing them less and less this xpac and find excuses to opt out of them with my friends. Just not feeling it anymore. Not sure what is different though.

6 Likes

This.

M+ is one of the best things added to the game.

Small format dungeons that scale up in difficulty so there is challenging content for everyone who wants to participate.

It’s great

Dungeons with only one hard difficulty aren’t challenging for everyone, or too challenging for some. That or, we out gear it then we’re done.

I prefer the m+ system over traditional dumgeons

14 Likes

Look mate, there is nothing I can say to sway your viewpoint. You post a lot and I have debated you before, it’s obvious you love the current state of the game.

I just hate M+ and I am passing this along to Blizzard, I know they won’t probably read this, but you never know. :slight_smile: Nothing you will say to me is going to change my mind.

Okay, so this was a bit of a hyperbole you got me! I still don’t think it is a great system. I’m glad though that people that wanted hard dungeon content enjoy it, it just isn’t the best system for me.

I know, don’t like it, don’t run it, but I think it’s existence in the game has an impact on the entire game though. Class design being the forefront.

10 Likes

M+ is good system and fun to do especially with friends a lot more fun

1 Like

I see what you did there. :stuck_out_tongue:

I never said I love the current state of the game. Please don’t make up things about me.

The great thing about the m+ system is if you don’t want to do the hard dungeons you dont have to.

If a person finds that 10s are too hard, they can stay doing 5s, 6s, 7s, 8s.

M+ provides a difficulty for every range.

9 Likes

I wouldn’t mind doing more of it if the ending result wasn’t a godawful item roulette.

RNG = bad
Farmable currency to purchase (goal to achieve) = good

9 Likes

I have a few problems with M+

1. I don’t enjoy dealing with a few of the affixes.

2. Timer, I’m kinda mixed on this one I don’t like being rushed and find it makes players more toxic but at the same time I like goals.

3. Loot is too rewarding for a +10. +10 are not that hard and they reward you more than heroic raiding. It kind of screws over everyone that is not raiding Mythics and forces us into M+ if we want to get good gear.

4. Keys, I don’t like getting a random key after I complete what I have. I would prefer it if we had the same dungeon key every week that stays the same dungeon when we level it up.

That said I do think the system is good for the game, there is a real reason to run dungeons at least. I just think you should need to go higher than +10 to out gear heroic loot.

5 Likes

Lol! I make all kinds of typos when im on mobile

2 Likes

I’d like Mythic+ a lot more if it wasn’t a speed run. Having challenging dungeons is interesting to me, but rushing through them like a Diablo rift just makes my wrists hurt.

42 Likes

I agree - Mythic+ in and of itself is okay, but I miss when doing a dungeon felt like going on an adventure… to me they now feel like a side game and not part of the world any more.

16 Likes

I used to enjoy healing dungeons in this game until M+ came out. Now Heroic dungeons are just pointless to even run because people just overgear them and speed through them like it was M+. I used to just queue up for Heroic dungeons even though I didn’t even need anything in there just because I really enjoy healing dungeons. M+ is wayyyy too stressful to heal, it’s just not a fun, relaxing experience like Heroic dungeons were in the past for me.

I miss Heroic dungeons.

18 Likes

Right, because increasing the difficulty is a great way to extend the content! I stand by what I said, dungeon design will never get better now that this system is in the game.

This was probably the laziest way they could have extended dungeon content.

You look at games like FF14 and ESO their hard versions are completely different dungeons with the same themes of course.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter though, I get that you like it! This post wasn’t for you anyway.

15 Likes

I just want to say it’s pretty funny that we probably disagree about politics (like in that other thread), but I 100% agree with you here about World of Warcraft lol.

3 Likes