Unpopular Opinion: Holy Paladins (Shockadins) are the most fun DPS class. Blizzard should embrace this!

Obviously the numbers suck, especially after the ridiculous nerfs Holy has received in Shadowlands… but honestly, Holy Paladins are the most fun class to DPS with. No other class has such a satisfying DPS rotation (including Ret); they all have some BS mechanic you have to play around (i.e. Demonology Pet Uptime), or a rotation that just feels counter-intuitive (i.e. WW Monk, not being able to cast the same spell twice in a row). I know this will ruffle some feathers, but hear me out!

• Holy is a melee class, but has tons of instant cast, short-CD ranged abilities
  • Avenging Wrath is an amazing CD.
  • Holy Shock is super fun to cast offensively
  • Shield of the Righteous brings uncapped AoE damage spell that is OFF THE GDC!
  • Holy’s PVP Talent (Avenging Light), turns Holy Light into a huge AoE DPS ability.

Holy has almost everything it needs to be a fun DPS spec, just the numbers aren’t there. I know this probably won’t happen… but here is what Blizzard could do:

• Buff Holy Shock Damage
  • Buff Glimmer Damage
  • Buff Shield of the Righteous Damage
  • Bring back Divine Favor (Haste Buff)
  • Have Judgment Generate Holy Power.
  • Give us a better “filler” DPS ability: Either (1) Bring back WOD-style Denounce or (2) lower the CD on Crusader Strike and lower its Mana Cost.

Other healers could use some love when it comes to damage too! Resto Druids have this super cool playstyle where you switch between forms to weave both melee AND ranged damage. And then Disc Priests (before Legion) were super fun to be offensive with.

3 Likes

An actual shockadin is a ret/holy mix with lots of holy and a little ret which you can no longer do. This toon used to be a shockadin. Best ones were mainly holy with ret mix for the added dps and you had casting spams as well to take down targets. Game was fun back then. Should get back to exactly that. Cant have a true shockadin anymore.

2 Likes

Sure you can. They existed back in WoD and even BFA. Sustained damage was not good but single-target burst damage could compete with actual DPS classes.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s an unpopular opinion. I don’t think you’d find most people in disagreement about a Holy casting spec for Paladins as a fourth spec (Shockadin/Inquisitor)

We almost had the shockadin dream at the start of BFA also. Divine Toll + Holy Shock was a great burst amount at the start of S1 as well as Ashen Hollow.

2 Likes

im hoping that we can.

dragonfight skill tree looks like its going back to bs/wotl/cata style of speccing

1 Like

I have super high hopes for DF. I am 100% certain that it is going to be awesome.

2 Likes

Yeah S1 shockadin - before the nerfs* -was good times too. Hammer of Wrath being back is a big help.

2 Likes

Revenge of the nerds!

I’ve been saying they should do this since Legion, and just about every holy paladin I’ve spoken to wants Denounce back—with or without its no-crits-for-you debuff.

Me? I’m hoping they make it work with our spellbook animation. The way we wave our hand out in the direction of our target is just begging for a projectile spell!

Back on the thread’s topic: honestly, when I built my ideal talents for Dragonflight, I included things like TV very shallow in the Retribution column of class talents, and a (easily skippable) passive that massively buffs SotR’s damage at the expense of putting on on the GCD. I’d intended those to be useful for soloing, but now that I think about it, a DPS Holy build might just be possible with talents like those—and personally, I think Dragonflight ought to let players experiment with that kind of thing!

1 Like

WoTLK holy shock spam. Olay WoTLK Classic kinda lame that Blizz is realsing it on such a late patch though and making so many changes to it… definition of a classic is that you do not change things. They have changed a lot. This is not WoTLK Classic.

1 Like

How do you mean? I thought Shockadins weren’t a thing in 3.3.5 WOTLK?

1 Like

Oh there was a ret. holy mix where you focused on lots of crit and haste as well but mainly crit stacking. It was mainly holy spells that you would be using and holy cast spells to where you could back t back spam casted shocks and could beat almost anyone in a 1v1. The shockadins of back then do not exist now.

(3284) What WOTLK Classic will change for the Holy Paladin - YouTube

That vid might have a little info on it. Cant find a good shockadin guide this toon used to be one. It is very powerful and really fun. But straight out ret is more powerful and a holy will outheal it.

1 Like

He makes no mention of that.

1 Like

Make a shockdin in WoTLK. Classic. It will be your only chance to make a true one. As soon as Cata classic comes out all the talent trees will be forever destroyed, the old quests will be removed, the glyphs will all be removed, spell ranks will be removed and all those people who spent MONTHS grinding out their R14s will be worth nothing because the titles come back in Cata and now have no meaning because there is very little grind to get them now. Cata is going to be the death of all the classics probably kill retail too because everyone is going to be like “Oh my god…you did it again? Blizzard doesn’t learn anything!” And then the game will be dead. Cata Classic will kill WoW forever. Just the first patch of Cata saw over 250.000 people leave. As soon as WoTLK Classic ends, Cata Classic will launch and Blizzard will be no more after that.

1 Like

Ironically enough…I loved Cataclysm; it was actually my favorite time to play WoW. And it was the class design of the time that made me love it so much:

It was the only time in the whole of WoW’s history that Holy paladins had both a ranged direct-damage spell with no cooldown (Exorcism at the time) and baseline multi-target damage spells that did decent damage and had short cooldowns (Consecration and Holy Wrath). Since that point, Holy has either lacked decent multi-target baseline damage spells (MoP and WoD), or they’ve lacked a ranged direct-damage spell with no cooldown (Legion, BfA, and SL). Having both is more fun than having one, and so far, Cata is the only time we’ve had both—I’m so hoping we get both in Dragonflight!

We also got four new direct healing spells at the start of Cata: Divine Light, Word of Glory, Light of Dawn, and (what I hope they unprune in DF) Holy Radiance. Keep in mind that, up until Cata, the devs didn’t give paladins any new direct heals, while other classes were getting new direct heals as expansions came out. Sure, WotLK gave us Beacon and Sacred Shield, TBC gave us that Divine Illumination cooldown, but we never got a new direct healing spell until Cata, when we got four! Getting four in one expansion made it feel like the devs were making up for lost time, and I especially loved having a multi-target heal with no cooldown that provided Holy Power like Holy Radiance!

It gets better: I’ve been pretty disappointed by the damaging Holy Power spenders that Holy paladins have had at their disposal from MoP onwards: Glyph of Harsh Words was worth casting, but its damage was barely higher than Holy Shock’s damage IIRC. Shield of the Righteous’s damage is also pitiful against single targets; I’ll admit its damage against clustered enemies shines, but that’s pretty niche—against single targets, its damage is less than our finishers, which all too often makes it feel unsatisfying to cast. Honestly, if it weren’t off the GCD, it wouldn’t be worth a GCD to cast it. Cata didn’t have these problems, because at the time, we had Inquisition: it didn’t deal direct damage at all, and simply boosted holy damage by 30% for a set amount of time. It was very much worth casting, but since it didn’t deal direct damage, it didn’t have the balancing headache of giving a healer too much burst damage. I was very sorry to see it become Ret-only in MoP, and the fact that it became unavailable for Holy made me think that Blizzard was getting way, way too trigger-happy with their ability pruning. Honestly, there are times I wish they’d bring Inquisition back as a Holy-only spell, though without Denounce/Exorcism/some non-cooldown holy damage spell, it wouldn’t be as impactful now as it was in Cataclysm.

On top of all of this, we still had some good seals and blessings in Cata, and we got Rebuke in the middle of the expansion when Retribution’s talents were adjusted to make Rebuke baseline instead of a 21-point Ret talent. I had SO many tools in my toolbox during Cata, many of them were or felt novel, since several spells were retooled to be far more useful than they were before, like Exorcism and Holy Wrath.

I was never happier playing WoW than I was in Cataclysm!

…That’s probably the only unpopular opinion in this thread, if I’m being honest: Shockadins are popular (with me too, for what it’s worth!), but I know I’m in the minority for liking Cataclysm the best.

2 Likes

I never had a chance to play Holy Paladin as a level 85 in Cataclysm. I did have a blast with Exorcism spam at lower levels though!

How was Holy Pally DPS in 4.3?

1 Like

I wish I could tell you—I don’t remember, and I don’t think I ever attempted to DPS as a Holy paladin in Cataclysm.

I do remember that I loved soloing in Cata, though, for whatever that’s worth.

God bless holy paladins. Make them great again

2 Likes

So this is the best Shockadin build I could come up with for Wrath:

I think the idea behind this is we get Holy Shock down to a 5-second CD, Judgement to 8 seconds, Exorcism to 10 seconds, and then Hammer of Wrath to 3 seconds (when Wings are popped; 6 seconds otherwise).

So the rotation could look like Exorcism → Hammer → Holy Shock → Judgment - > Hammer → Holy Shock → Hammer → Exorcism. That couild potentially be satisfying… but IDK what the numbers would look like, if it would be worth it.

1 Like

Make Holy Great Again
MHGA.

I find it boring to play. Possibly because I have been rolling only holy/ret for so many years that it has become too easy for me or maybe that is just how it is.

Not too fond with the holy power system. I would like to struggle a bit while I play this toon. Makes you more focused and when I was shockadin, I used to DPS as mainly holy spec exorcism spam. That is why a true Shockadin cannot exist now days because my Shockadin was able to DPS in holy spec. Never topped charts on DPS but I was never bottom DPS either so it was viable for DPS.

2 Likes