Unnecessary Censorship

Please unblock the word that is similar in meaning to wiggle but starts with a j. There is no reason for it to be censored, thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s bizarre.

Testing out giggle.

Giggle is fine, replacing the G with a J is not, very odd.

2 Likes

I guarantee that it was probably put in because someone was being an idiot, and this is why we can’t have nice things.

12 Likes

This forum used to block the word grapes, from which wine is made.

9 Likes

And I guarantee you that someone thought they were being cute by using it as a stand-in for a word spelled just the same but with one less letter, because this is the internet, and people are horrible.

5 Likes

There is a reason for that and it has to do with a racial slur that may predate the age of most posters. That is why the J part matters.

Of course there is no list. People would just play rules lawyer to try to get around it. Nobody is going to entertain someone trying to rules lawyer something.

As for what you used - they don’t like it if you use terms to insult people or pick fights.

9 Likes

Racial slur?

Its what Jell-O does…

6 Likes

I’m aware of that. However, any filter worth its salt can differentiate between that, and the longer word which has nothing to do with the slur but merely contains it. It’s not a reasonable thing to filter other mundane words as a side effect of blocking the one.

2 Likes

what? how old? I’m in my 30’s and I know of no such slur

2 Likes

If you try to type the word that is filtered into a post and click post, it will tell you exactly what portion is filtered and fail to post it. It’s an older slur not in common use today.

Nothing wrong with filtering slurs like that. But they shouldn’t hit other harmless words as a side effect. I’m pretty sure they can alter their filter to fix this issue.

2 Likes

Will they censor me if I call some rude, entitled person a Karen?

1 Like

You are way too young to know the slur unless you were around some uncouth elders.

It is annoying, I don’t disagree. Filters certainly are not perfect. They filter stuff you don’t want to stop and fail to stop other things - and people are creative to get around them.

2 Likes

If we wait long enough every word will have been something offensive to someone at some point in history.

Just my opinion, but I think we should stop worrying about specific words and just worry about common decency and treating people with some measure of respect. I say let people say whatever they want and let them have the reputation that comes with it.

But whatever. Blizz does what Blizz does. They’ll run things the way they do.

6 Likes

Which, is how the general world works. However…

They have lawyers who help them craft policies that prevent parents from suing them. While the filter is not perfect, it allows parents to have some feeling of safety. They know the forums are somewhat moderated and the Parental Control tools in game allow the filter as well as the ability to turn off chats totally.

It is not there to prevent an adult from getting their “feelings” hurt or anything. Adults can figure out what was said filter or not, most of the time.

I understand the intent and purpose. It’s just irritating when it gets in the way of innocent dialogue.

2 Likes

Well, I’m 187 years old, and when I was a lad, reels and jigs were the most popular dances of the day. We lived in Maine at the time, lots of shipwrights and sailors and fishermen. Those were the days. Til the typhoid came, that is. Ayup.

edit: just wanted to make sure the context was well understood.

3 Likes

That is what you get when you trust Mary to cook for you!

1 Like

The only word I can think of is only sort of related to it insomuch as it begins in the same way and sounds like a character or creature from a children’s TV show. Otherwise, this must be a very very old slur indeed.

It’s not as easy to brush off if you have been on the receiving end of these words. When people use these words it can cause pain. When you dismiss that pain because you don’t feel it, you are telling someone they don’t matter. There are thousands of words out there, why not pick one that doesn’t hurt anyone?

And no, not everything is offensive these days, that’s an excuse.

3 Likes

Every human on the planet has experienced hurt feelings from words. Anyone can empathize with that. That’s new to no one.

That’s what the ignore feature is for. And if people are consistently offending others then that’s what suspensions and bans are for.

We’re talking specifically about disallowing specific words. Totally just my opinion but I think it should be completely open. That allows terrible people to be openly terrible. Sounds bad on the surface, but then that person can be more easily identified as such and ignored by those who wish to do so and in more extreme cases suspended or permanently banned. I think in the end you’d end up with a less toxic community.

4 Likes