Unholy or Frost? (M+)

Hello, I need help deciding whether to stick with unholy or switch to frost.
I have no intention of raiding, and will be doing only mythic+

I’m geared for unholy, but I really enjoy playing frost, even though I lose out on DPS.

What is the BiS spec this season?

Thank you for your help

i think unholy is technically better but i really enjoy playing frost and smashing stuff with sindragosa. feels great even though it’s technically worse. play what you like.

Last time I checked the highest keys completed we’re done by frost? Maybe it changed though as they are very close.

You can always check raider.io or WCL.

Both specs use pretty much identical gears sets apart from weapons, prioritizing Mastery/Crit.

Big thing if you do switch to Frost is just communicating when people are popping big CDs. If you pop BOS when the mage combusts on a pack you most likely won’t get full value depending on the size of the pack and key level.

it could be better but i’ve heard unholy is better in m+. doesn’t matter tho. OP should play what they find fun.

If you’re playing BoS, both frost and UH require ramp time and more strict positioning. Depending on the key level you intend to do, obliterate with biting cold may feel better in lower keys as most other classes are just going to annihilate trash before you’re ready to do damage.

Additional option: play fury warrior or ww and profit.

I wonder where is Biceps.

They’re close enough that you can play what you enjoy. Your group literally doesn’t care which spec you are. The only thing they care about is can you DPS effectively, battle rez effectively, and maybe if you have grabby hands (Necrolord) to help position mobs.

Personally I find Frost more enjoyable because it allows more control undead utility for the party, and it doesn’t really suffer too much from “ramp”. The bigger problem with frost is obliteration doesn’t perform well in AoE, which is most of M+, and Breath of Sindragosa is really easy to whiff.

Obliteration is getting a big buff with the 9.2 set bonus but thats still a ways away and it remains to be seen if it will out perform BoS.

:wave: I feel like the specs are sufficiently close that one should choose the one they like to play (tbh I always say that but they are actually really close).

1 Like

I personally find frost more enjoyable of the two, but mastery gear swaps over well enough to support both specs and vers isn’t first for either. I usually stick with highest Ilvl for my slot and have a fine time.

I’ve only pushed 16 in most dungeons, but have done at least 15 in s1/2 as both dps specs. I took blood to 14/15 in s2 but not that high in s1.