Unholy Improvements

But none of them are very good or permanent.

It’s annoying how practically all of the summons are sub par talents.

Yup.

I am always saying new meta come from trying new things. Though I don’t like playing what’s widely popular and going off the beaten track myself.

Well gargoyle is coming back baseline.

So…

that depends entirely on what you are doing, as i said that is my build for epic battlegrounds, the main content i participate in, and they all have their specific uses which is why i take them.

if you are looking at things like ST dps, there will always be a best talent to take, not every talent is designed for optimal ST damage. some are designed for short term burst, some are designed for sustained gameplay. utilizing these effectively in the correct situation is really needed to understand their strengths (and why you can’t always rely on sims)

one of the biggest issues with unholy is that a lot of our really cool talents and abilities that really show the necromancer side are locked away as pvp talents, meaning that the majority of players who are pve only never really see or learn them. if you have seen me in bgs, then you would know im surrounded by tons of undead minions, and have no problem simply overwhelming opponents with undead adds, dots, stuns, slows, and heal absorbs.

Problem for me is that abom, zombies, etc. Are all pvp talents, so you lose all of that doing dungeons/raids.

2 Likes

i touched in that in my post, but also quite a while back in another thread about improving unholy for 9.0:

Did they fix all will serve?

yes

No idea how i missed that, im stealing your build btw

just make sure you have conflict and strife primary, and rune of stoneskin gargoyle. reanimation is a %HP attack, so when attacking pve targets like Vann your HP sets the cap on reanimation damage, the more HP you have the more damage you do. provided they connect its the best damage per rune you can get, so use abomb for wound stacking to hit apoc and don’t really bother with VP or UB on pve targets, they are mainly for AoE damage to help with team fights and distracting healers.

I always thought reanimation did 10% of the enemy’s max hp, not your own?

Also, do we even know if were losing the azurite stuff in shadowlands?

epic bgs have a mix of PVE and PVP objectives, when attacking a PVE target, %HP attacks do that percent of your own health to the PVE target. so when you attack a player it does 10% of their health in damage, but when attacking an NPC it does 10% of your HP in damage.

we probably are, while on paper its a really good system for build experimentation, it hasn’t really gone over well with the playerbase, so my guess is that the devs will scrap it and return to a system with legion leggos or even tier set bonuses(yuck!)

tbh i would be fine with azerite if it wasn’t so RNG and missmatched, finding a piece that has all the traits you want isn’t even always possible every season, i’d rather they use a system like the pvp talents to have a pool of abilities you can socket into each ring.

Here is my thought.

1. Current Army is not designed to pop it whenever you want to. It was designed to use during lust phase. 8mins is okay for most situations, but the downside is it is very punishing (especially in M+).
  2. Currently DT is the reason why Unholy is so popular in MDI and one of the strongest AoE CD in the game. DT doesn’t add much damage in a single target fight and pretty passive, for that I agree. But to remind you, current Unholy AoE is completely depend on it and i don’t think they will redesign it any time soon.
  3. Apocalypse is one of our best single target CDs beside Army and UF, it also provides something that truly Unholy related. Personally i like this version more than the previous one.
  4. First half I agree. The wounds system is overcomplicated. But it is what make Unholy special and also requires quite an effort to get use to it.
  5. Why do you considered Unholy as a DoT spec? They should be considered as necromancers who raise minions to fight for them.

In conclusion, I did find that Unholy is currently not in a good spot and only be used in very niche situation. But so far in BfA there is nothing wrong with them, most people I know seem happy about the current state of DK. I don’t think they really need any revamp soon

Unholy (melee dps): A master of death and decay, spreading infection and controlling undead minions to do their bidding.

That’s the description straight from blizzard. That says, to me, that unholy is intended to be both a pet and a DoT spec.

Right now, we really only have one actual DoT - virulent outbreak - that ‘spreads’ in any way. We also only have one consistent undead minion, our ghoul (that goes to two if you pick all will serve adding the skeletal archer).

I just think we need to expand on that, rework the class abilities to give us a little more focus on undead minions and damage over time spreading.

If we could get blood plague and frost fever back as spreading diseases, similar to virulent outbreak, that’d be a bloody good start. If we could passively have more minions out like demonology warlocks have with their army of imps, that’d be even better.

unholy blight, soul reaper, and harrowing decay are all options, assuming you don’t consider defile as dot as well.

on the pet side we have army, apoc, reanimation, abomb, and gargoyle/valk and for this expansion vision of perfection.

we have VP because there was really no point to having two diseases, pressing IT>PS for two lackluster dots did nothing but increase ramp up time and cost an extra GCD. its not more a complex or compelling gameplay option.

what we could use is plague strike back that applies VP without outbreak in order for us to have the option for applying VP to a single target when we need it but maintaining outbreak for standard dotting.

Part of my issue there is pvp only abilities. I really despise how blizz tied things like reanimation and abomination to warmode, preventing them from being used in dungeons or raids.

Warmode should never have been used as a way to access abilities

Frost would raise a ghoul but it’s not perm like unholy. Can’t transform it like unholy. And since it’s not perm we can’t control it I think

I want a talent that takes away the wounds system and gives back the diseases and I can do the necroblight playstyle again

It would be nice if perhaps the wound system had a more combo point like system to aid in target switching.
I really like apocalypse, because it has a damage component, a summoning component, and it pops wounds. It makes it a very satisfying ability compared to everything else.
I would like it if we consumed festering wounds for disease/pet summoning.
Creating wounds, then popping them for the purpose of summoning powerful beasts. Gives it a stronger feeling of being an unholy commander of undead.

I’d love if the pvp ability that raises a ghoul that wanders towards your target was a proc or a 20 second cd or something.

Also they should bring back the old Rez (just for unholy) where you become a ghoul. Maybe make it so that it’s only usable if the standard rez is on cd so we don’t lose our utility.

I would support just about anything that removes the Wounds mechanic. I cannot express how much I don’t like it. I adore UH as a concept but I can’t enjoy it’s gameplay as much as I once did.

Personally I would love for Unholy to be something more similar to a melee version of Warlock’s Demonology, ie lots and lots of various undead minions spawned from different attacks.

1 Like