Unholy Death Knight Alpha Feedback

I posted some feedback for Unholy DK in the Shadowlands Alpha Forums, mainly focusing on PvP but also including some PvE points - I’d like you guys to check it out and let me know what you think about it:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/feedback-death-knight-class-changes/490709/4

4 Likes

DK Unholy’s disease system needs to be revised. DK Unholy was the most complex and fun spec in my opinion, but now it’s boring. I would like something more like the Wrath of The Lich King or Mists Of Pandaria.

Presences need to return.

The speed increase with “death advanced” and “Wraith Walk” was horrible, the 15% run speed of Death Knight Unholy is sorely missed.

I liked the return of some skills that returned in the other specs, but I believe that DK as a whole needs to be revised, I am not liking what I have been following in Alpha. We need more useful talents, and the class needs to be fun again.

18 Likes

There is a runeforge that gives speed and haste increase now

that irks me they keep doing stuff like this. we have to sacrafice a runeforge just to move passivly faster

5 Likes

It gives 10 percent haste as well though. Still wish it was just old uh presence >_<

2 Likes

also its only when you kill something while in your lvl range and no word yet on how long that lasts

2 Likes

I would have liked to see a couple changes to Unholy flow, to be honest. I would have liked to see:

Diseases applied by Festering or Scourge strike.

Outbreak applies diseases as well as 6 wounds to the primary target

Necrotic strike consumes all wounds, but has a cool down.

Another big concern I have is that I feel that Pet Damage being affected by Mastery could potentially devalue other non-pet related talents even more than they already are (ex. skeletal minion vs clawing shadows and infected claws)

1 Like

I’ve been thinking what would be really cool is if UH could summon different types of undead that serve different roles like a warlock. To be able to permanently summon a flesh beast or abomination that could tank like a void lord or permanently summon a wraith or banshee that would maybe do something unique like attack the enemy and heal the DK. To be able to permanently summon a skeletal knight that does powerful physical dps with bleeds or a zombie, ghoul, or geist that would do plague and disease damage.

Basically completely re-work and make UH a necromancer like people have been suggesting in other threads.

6 Likes

Probably a bit more controversial, but I also think the Rune system needs to die. It’s really lame that DK is boring unless you have X haste.

Runes are only there to cap your actions, and a terrible way to do it. I would rather deal with the skill being more incorporated with trying to keep diseases or minions (Preferably Minions cause Necromancy is delicious) up. Then add multiple different ways to interact with said diseases/minions.

But as is, Unholy is really boring, AND slow to play. Way too much downtime.

I’m with you on that one. It seems weird that DKs have to track 3 different resources with runes, runic power, and wounds.

I could be wrong, as I haven’t played a whole lot of BFA (just enough for elite sets each season), but I think every other class has two resources to pay attention to, at most.

Disagree heavily.

We already have a few types of pets and that’s good enough for Unholy. If anything we need more cannon fodder undead that are summoned regularly but don’t last very long.

DK doesn’t/shouldn’t use pets the same way as warlocks/hunters and we already have our ghoul, army/abom, and gargoyle. That’s fine.

If anything in that equation needs to go away, it’s wounds. I wouldn’t mind going back to the old rune system though.

4 Likes

It’s quickly shaping up that way with our mastery having additional pet damage scaling to it. May not like it, but UH is definitely turning into something like Survival.

I’m actually

I’m in agreement with this part at least. I don’t think our main pet should be swappable, like the warlocks. If anything, I’d just like the skeletal glyph to have a different transformation graphic.

What I WOULD like, is some interaction with our disposable minions. Replace wounds with some mechanic that allows to buff, create more, switch target, whatever. I do NOT want to see a Implosion replacement though.

As for runes, I want them gone.

It’s really not.
The mastery change is a welcome damage component that we’ve been asking for, but we’re not going to be swapping pets the same way as those classes and I’m fine with that. I’m all for visual customization though.

Agree. Wounds can go the way of Ol Yeller.

Bring back 6 simultaneous runes charging and get away from RE/RC.

1 Like

I’m not going to lie. Unholy playing the same three expansions in a row is boring. Sure the unpruned abilities give more room for mastering the spec which is something that makes me really happy not only for pvp but for pve. I however feel as it stands on alpha it seems alright but it plays the same as it does in bfa and nearly the same as it did in legion. At least in legion the downtime didn’t feel so bad but in bfa we find ourselves with a lot of downtime. Additionally summoning our pets feels AMAZING, don’t you guys agree? But Unholy wasn’t just a full on pet spec it was pets AND diseases and we’re moving down the road with more pets, if that’s the case then i’d like blizzard to take the jump and do what it takes to make the spec feel complete with that playstyle.

I want to see the new version of Army of The Damned be baseline. So that we don’t have army only every other boss which is something that’s really painful going into a boss with only apocalypse and dark transformation. Army of the Damned being baseline will make the spec feel really fun summoning your pets more often hence bringing you more sustainable single target damage.

You need to play a Unholy dk to understand how good it feels to apocalypse and have vision procc while fighting a pack, finishing the pack and moving towards the next with a huge army of undead behind you.

Another thing that could help a lot specially for pvp is death grip off the gcd. Considering it does no damage and it’s cd is considerably long anyways. Sometimes you’re fighting and there’s a big cast headed your way like a gpy or a chaos bolt, you want to grip it but you’re stuck mid gcd.
I’d also like to Unholy frenzy and dark transformation off gcd. If not at least dark transformation. It feels horrible having to stand there for the longest time to even get your burst off on say a boss. Your dot, FSx2, Army, Apocalypse, Dark Transformation, Unholy frenzy FSx2 and then you get into wound bursting after a soul reaper to replenish runes, all of that on the gcd.

If none of that is done then as someone mentioned earlier all six runes generating at once could be a huge help specially with the rune starvation we suffer from after setting up our burst. Or make it so that SS doesn’t cost a rune anymore to help with the rune starvation, only using our runes on army, our dot, chains of ice, and FS.

3 Likes

Oh wow, I overlooked that aspect of it :confused:

1 Like

Depending how it scales now with the mastery, our little archer boy may be a must pick for damage. >_<

1 Like

I love Apoc, but I’d hate for that, and DT being our only pet abilities. I want abilities that actually interact with them somehow. And I’d like other abilities that summon some temporary pets too.

Keep apoc for longer cooldowns, but give us something else, that lets us keep summoning temporary minions. Then use the corpses of the minions when they expire.

with sl unholys mastery now effecting army what if when they kill stuff it adds to the group and as ghouls die new ones get added. so as long as they and you kill things it adds to a rolling ever changing army of the dead

1 Like