Unholy: Dark Transformation Unfun to Use?

I know it seems weird, but very often I find myself not using it.
Are you supposed to be?
The ability does’t realy have much synergy with your abilities - sure, you can reduce its cooldown a little with Death Coil - thats really it though, it doesn’t do anything for you in PvE besides dealing a bit more DPS and offering a kind of clumsy interrupt.

Generally, I often just press it just before Unholy Frenzy, since they have comparable CD’s.

edit, nvm, im an idiot.

im not sure what the point of your post is though.

1 Like

You should be using it whenever its off CD if you ever decide to do Mythic+ or Raid or care about doing damage.

Firstly to the initial reply yes it does interact. Each Death Coil reduces DTs cooldown by 1 second.

To the OP, if you’re just trying to say that it’s underwhelming and not amazingly fun I’d agree with you. But if you’re not using it “just because it’s boring” then you’re consciously choosing to do less damage as well as not upgrade your pet stun /interrupt.

3 Likes

Get helchains for one of your azerite traits. It makes DT mich more fun

It is unfun
there is no build up, no mechanic, nothing
it’s just another cooldown

I would rather it be a talent that permanently turned your ghoul into an abomination

4 Likes

I agree, I hate using this ability without at least one Hellchains trait, but that doesn’t prevent me from using it because it is still a boost in damage. And Hellchains is a pretty good trait. It’s on the higher end but still weaker than Magus of the Dead and Festermight.

It does if you use Infected Claws, wounds spread by Dark X form Sweeping Claws.

No idea why my profile swapped to my herber from Cata. The above is me.

It’s not really fun to use, but you should always be using it on cooldown. It’s a short CD so you shouldn’t be holding onto it.

It synergizes with DnD + scourge strike/CS. If you’re doing a big AOE pull you can go outbreak -> DT -> DnD -> scourge strike / epidemic until DnD ends. Your ghoul will cleave mobs on top of you cleaving with scourge strike- even better with helchains.

Looking at the damage breakdown on my last M+ (MOTHERLOAD +9), DT ghoul cleave was about 5% of my damage overall, one Helchains trait was 2%. By comparison, AotD was 4.2% and Deathcoil was 6.4%… so if I was going to take one ability off my bars, DT definitely isn’t going to be first on the list.

Unholy cooldowns don’t feel powerful unless you’re looking at the damage meter. The class kills by 1000 cuts, and if you don’t maximize your cooldown casts your damage will suffer.

You really shouldnt have quit school.

Dark Transformation is the reason why we have the best AoE in the game. Since it can apply wounds in AoE, it makes our AoE scale quadratically.

2 Likes