Migrated topics having formatting issues. Unable to be formatted

Is there a guide somewhere for formatting on the new forum? What markup does it use? I saw ** for bold, so I tried __ for underline, and nothing.

I noticed that the HTML from the formatting on the old forum was visible when I went to edit a topic migrated over. It’s a complete mess and I’m combing through it trying to redo it. I also noticed I can no longer underline.

“Better text formatting” - where is it?

Thank you!

Edit:
Can also not type my guild name as Moon with < > around it. Anything in < > goes invis.

The Overwatch forums has a great write up on this:

2 Likes

Thank you, but when I try to use HTML, it does not display.

With underline: Hi

There is a sticky in GD: New Forum Guide - Syntax and Features but I don’t see anything about underlining, just italics, bold, strikethrough. There is one post in there asking if they did away with underlining and no answer yet.

2 Likes

I believe underlining has been removed (for whatever reason).

1 Like

Reading the Overwatch forums, someone asked about this in October and it looks like they’ve removed underlining. Closest to it now is the < ins >.

EDIT:

With this here, < > are used for different codes now. If you want to put your guild name there, you have to put a space. Like so, < Hidden Eclipse >

1 Like

Gross. Thanks guys. Not sure why they would remove that. I have a lot of information in my guild post that I would like formatted a specific way. Looks like they need to expand their horizons in terms of formatting and add more useful ones. I know underlining is taboo for developers and designers nowadays, but it’s not for us forum plebs.

Appreciate it.

Still wondering why I cannot type <Moon --> without the space and hyphen involved.

One reason I’ve seen given elsewhere on the interwebs for not using underlining is that clarifies underlined text as possible URL links.

Just a test: <Moon Guard> (so, use the html style of “& gt ;” or “& lt ;” taking out the spaces to get the less than and greater than symbols as text characters)

1 Like

): icky but works, thank you. forgot about these.

<Moon>

Just edited my guild post using only the tools provided in the post, and it’s done this. The preview was fine, but my topic looks like garbage.

Also, why can’t I post again if I have an update to the topic???

Here’s what it’s supposed to look like:

https://i.imgur.com/a5TaQFS.png

Hrmmm, that is odd. It seems to be doing things like ignoring end of line once it’s posted that were correctly showing in the preview. And the bold (test: bold) switching back is really odd. I wonder if there’s a Trust Level effect going on with respect to what html can be used.

That’s what I’m wondering. ):

When I tried to do the trust level JSON trick, it had both 0 and 1 in there. Not sure which I am, but would really like to be able to present my guild in an organized, neat way.

If it showed Trust level 0 and 1, then you’re level 1. When you hit level 2, it will show 0, 1 and 2.

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate that.

1 Like

Seems to be a known issue that’s starting to spread, in knowledge of it, throughout the community. I complained about this too, because I couldn’t update our guild ad on our realm forum. I posted about it in the #support:website-bug-report forum.

Anyways, the work around to this, is using an alt to post on the thread or having someone else, like a guildie, etc… to post. Here’s to hoping we can bump our threads again like we used to without this workaround.

1 Like

Thanks. I was wondering if I could use another alt to bypass it, but hadn’t tested it. I’ll go post there, too!

1 Like

I made a duplicate thread for testing purposes. The formatting works here, so it looks like this is a problem affecting only migrated posts. I am fine with deleting our former thread and having this new one, but would prefer that we can use our old one.

I’ve seen a few reports of migrated posts only obeying BBCode, and bugging out with markdown and html.

I see you posted in the Website Bug Report forum. That was the right thing to do.

1 Like