Unconventional Druid?

Hey all. To cut the point, I was wondering if I could write my character to be a druid that doesn’t necessarily subscribe to the whole “protect nature” shtick.

From the very bare bones research I did on the forums, one point caught my interest; that Nature magic wasn’t any different than schools of Arcane, Light, or Shadow, and could be learned by anyone for any reason. There were some post that even suggested that shapeshifting isn’t even a druid-specific skill, and could theoretically be used by mages and such.

The reason I ask this question is because I was led to believe that, to be a druid, you had to be some kind of “chosen defender” of nature or be born into the practice, or be a certain race. The point I found above, and a few others, made me uncertain if this was actually the case, and I’d hate to accidentally turn my werewolf into a snowflake with blatantly incorrect lore.

For my character, I chose druid because I liked the idea that they dabbled in arcane and nature, which, to me, opened the door to justifying a druidic mage; primarily a practitioner of magic who uses nature to efficiently grow plants for alchemy, heal himself and others, and take advantage of the forms to make a nomadic lifestyle easier to cope with. The “astrology” or “starry” vibe of Balance also inspired me to work in themes of star watching and concepts similar to zodiac’s and fortune telling, though that bit is MUCH less thought out and would need more research.

As you can tell, those relatively selfish reasons don’t line up with what I used to think were requirements to become a druid, but now I think it might be more feasible than I first thought. I wanted to check with more knowledgeable people before I potentially go into TRP and embarassment myself, though.

This doesn’t have to be a strict “yes you can” or “no you can’t” answer, either! I’d like some discussion, suggestions on how to potentially reach my desired story within the lore, or just theory crafting on how exactly druidism and nature magic as a whole works. From the reading I’ve done, there’s no solid consensus as of now?

Oh, and if you’re wondering “why not just play a mage that uses nature on the side”, I just generally prefer the gameplay elements of druid, hence why I stick with it and wanted to see if I could make it work.

1 Like

Going from memory there are examples in universe of individuals who utilize nature themed magic beyond the typical obligations of tradition Druids, but these individuals, barring corrupted Druids, were usually not explicitly considered Druids and had different sources for their magic. Examples include High Botanists Freywinn and Tel’arn, who both presumably use arcane to perform their feats.

I also vaguely recall the folks who originally created the Arcan’dor where an order who used both nature and arcane magic.

While somewhat speculative on my part, I assume that, given the training methods of Druids and their connection to the Wild Gods and Emerald Dream, there would at least be an obligation for a Druid to be mindful of the balance of nature, if not actively intent on its protection. I highly doubt it would need to be a central concern, however. Zandalar has Wardruids and I doubt they put the land before the kingdom. Obviously not every Druid is going to act like Malfurion and Hamuul, just like not every Shaman is going to act like Thrall, Paladin like Uther etc.

It is possible, i don’t really ever see it though so people might be turned off and act like its something that isn’t allowed, its just never happened so if you can make it work, go for it!

I have a Druid of the Flame who wants to protect nature but she was forcibly made a druid of the flame by her teacher. Although with the new lore about primalists dont have emotions when infused with that sort of stuff I now wonder if her having emtions makes sense. But it is diffirent. So It should work!

1 Like

The folks at Paradigm Press said it best.

A Druid is someone who looks at nature as family.

And there are folks who look at their families as an exploitable resource.