Unable to learn Ashes of Al'ar and other dropped flying mounts until 40

A friend recently ran me through Tempest Keep: The Eye to get me T5 pieces for mogs on this paladin and I looted the Ashes of Al’ar off Kael’thas. However, I was unable to learn it due to the flying skill (artisan but master also covers this despite the artisan skill being removed in the prepatch) required not being buyable until 40. The item itself has a required level of 27.

I checked other flying mounts that are dropped in dungeons and raids too and noticed that it’s an issue for the mounts from TBC/Wrath/Cata/MoP because they all have required levels lower than 40 and you don’t need to be 40+ to enter the raid.

Here’s a list of some flying mounts that are affected by the level squish skill issue.

• Ashes of Al’ar
  • Reins of the Blue Proto-Drake
  • Mimiron’s Head
  • Reins of the Drake of the North Wind
  • Clutch of Ji-Kun
  • Reins of the Heavenly Onyx Cloud Serpent
  • Experiment 12-B

This is not an exhaustive list of all mounts affected by this issue but I tried to get something from every xpac affected. Ground mounts do not have the same issue as they require a lower level riding skill.

Normally, I would have just leveled to 40 to learn it but it’s not an option on this character due to me using it for Herald of Titans runs which means I’m capped at level 30.

Despite this, it’s a level squish issue that the devs should look into to ensure that if you’re able to enter the instance, you’d be able to use/learn the drops you receive. It was not an issue prior to the prepatch because you could buy the required riding skill level 70+.

9 Likes