Unable to finish Kyrian Campaign questline today due to Eye of the Jailer lockout

I rushed to get my renown today because it unlocks a potency slot, and since I was in the maw anyway to get the 10 souls I went ahead and did most of the weeklies and all of the daily quests for stygia. This put me at eye of the jailer 5. I worked through the questline (which has really bad spawn rates, too, but that is reported elsewhere), only to find that I have to go to an uninstanced version of the maw that I can’t survive in due to having 10 stacks of eye of the jailer debuff. This seems really unfair, and I was really looking forward to getting my second potency slot before m+ and raid tonight.

7 Likes

Dude… +100 on this. So infuriating. Blizzard please remove the Immediate extermination buff when doing a covenant quest in the maw…or gain a buff to subdue it by a % to make completing the quest feasible. 100% reduced healing + 1k ticking damage? Can’t outplay that…let me atleast invite a healer buddy to lend me a hand.

5 Likes

Apparently it’s the same for the Night Fae campaign too :frowning:

6 Likes

DUDE wtf is wrong with you blizzard?? you totally blew it on 2 counts of campaign hell today. i HATE your company and game design

5 Likes

I just gave up and come back tomorrow to finish it. got to the last part and can’t do it! the mobs are respawning and getting back to part where i died is a fight in itself. I hate the maw!

3 Likes

This is such a blizzard thing to do lmfao

THIS JUST HAPPENED TO ME!!

W

T

F?!?!?!?!?!?!?

How is this not instanced as a renown/covenant quest?

3 Likes

Yeah, I got similarly hit in the night fae installment today, which I was really looking forward to doing. I got really excited when I met one character in particular I hadn’t seen in a while, but by the time I got back to the quest from the GY I was dead again from the ambient shadow damage. Even just some kind of marker in the renown interface indicating that it’s a maw-related quest would be nice, make it a little bit easier to plan.

Gating progress, forcing players to stop with these sorts of things discourages the player, it’s demoralizing to work so hard and then have a door slammed shut in your face. The Maw is…not fun, it’s an annoying aggravating test of patience you suffer through because you have no choice. I’d compare it to Netherwing grinding in BC but…less fun and more damage to your character and actual penalties to your progress when things go wrong make it so much worse.

Many players only have so much time to play and these “gates” shutting off the ability to progress at your own pace make the game feel…unfair, unplayable and like it’s just not worth paying so much each month when you can’t play as much as you want to when you have time to do it. Will some players who don’t have jobs ect blaze through content? Of course they will, but they’re not as common as the working players who have limited time. I’m already starting to give up, going back to play old content because I feel like the Maw in particular, isn’t set up for regular players but is set up more toward the elites who don’t have schedule limitations in real life preventing them from playing the game like a part time job.

1 Like

I’d disagree. The Maw doesn’t fall under the traditional category of “time gated content.”

• This is how it’s supposed to be though. Players have been asking for more difficult content outside of Mythic+ and Mythic raids.
  • The Maw isn’t necessarily difficult but it does present challenges that force you to have a strategy when going in. Take the OP for example, he didn’t need to do all those quests before his main purpose for being there. That was a mistake by him, not evidence of a bad system.
  • Why should they make it easier for you? Wouldn’t it be odd to go from rank 4 to rank 0 only because you decided to do an important quest?
  • These sorts of things I’ve had an issue with this expansion. Quests and their objectives are purposefully non specific at times. I’ve never had to seek information outside of the game more.
  • This is the sort of unnecessary hurdle players can do without.
  • The Maw isn’t necessarily difficult but it does present challenges that force you to have a strategy when going in. Take the OP for example, he didn’t need to do all those quests before his main purpose for being there. That was a mistake by him, not evidence of a bad system.

Yeah you right, he should have had the intuition to know his covenant quest which required him to get 1000 anima before accepting it was going to take him into the maw. I know you are playing Devil’s advocate but this is a game and that is not a fun interaction.

1 Like

That’s not how it went down for him though. You don’t need to collect 1000 anima to do that quest. You just need renown level 19. He decided to do the daily quests while already having the campaign story quest active. He ought to know how The Maw works by now.

incorrect sir. He rushed to get his renown for his potency conduit by collecting the souls in the maw before accepting the quest (AKA he stayed in the maw before handing in to get to renown 19). Order of operations is key here…on a reset day when you have the highest potential to increase the output of your character you should not be able to accidently lock yourself out of content regardless. Should have never been a possibility.

You mean he couldn’t have done another quest rewarding renown?