UI Flickering Issue on Nvidia Drivers 430.87, 430.97, 431.36

I know about these flickering issues with gsync, but the issue we are talking about here is different.

The flickering can happen on a single icon on the screen, or chatbox, a single tree on the game world, the minimap or world map, sometimes little black squares appearing.

This is not a gsync issue, i know a gsync issue when i see one, sync issues CANNOT affect different graphic elements on the screen individually, a frame is a frame thats all your monitor knows.

2 Likes

nvidia official driver 431.36 is out lets hope this fixes the issues

1 Like

nope not fixed for me still flickering on 431.36

1 Like

Trying adaptive sync in nvidia control panel like the rep asked me to will post if it worked

2 Likes

Yup, switching to DX11 (legacy) fixed it for me, in Stormwind at least. I donā€™t have/use G-sync or Freesync. Gtx 1080. I also havenā€™t updated my drivers in a while AFAIK, month maybe?

2 Likes

Iā€™m not. /ten chars

1 Like

I do not have a G-sync monitor either but was asked by nvidia to set vertical sync in the control panel to adaptive and have been playing for a few hours on 431.36 Dx12 with no issues

1 Like

Thanks for reporting the issue, everyone! The latest 431.36 driver update for Nvidia graphics cards lists, the flickering issues with World of WarCraft.

[World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth]: Terrain and icons flicker randomly in the game. [2633205]

Source: Release Notes

If youā€™re experiencing this issue and DirectX11 doesnā€™t resolve the issue, please try reverting to 430.39 with the hotfix drivers 430.53.

1 Like

Thankyou for the update Caterpepi.

Installed the new driver 431.36 - still having issues with flickering and DX12 turned on. Tried optimising in Nvidia control panel then restored back to default aswell as ingame settings. Everything i tried still resulted in flickers.

However DX11 (legacy) is working fine with no flickering at all.
Not using a Gsync or Freesync monitor.

2 Likes

Good example of terrain flickering w/ latest drivers (431.36):

Not using GSYNC.
3 Likes

Hey guys, Iā€™ve been having the same issues these past few updates, plus one more. Iā€™m get a full game flicker, the entire screen goes blank/black for half a second and flashes back. Completely randomly.
Edit: i dont have g-sync

1 Like

Same here, i7 9900k, 2080ti, two asus pg279q monitors, screen random flickering, most time UI flashing since a week ago or two. HELP!

1 Like

Had the screen flicker and horizon artifact issues with the last few Nvidia drivers using a GTX 2080 (non-gsync monitor). I am using the latest 431.36 driver and if I use DirectX 12 I get the screen flicker and horizon issues, so far on DirectX 11 I donā€™t have any issues.

This is an Nvidia issue so we probably wonā€™t get a decent fix until Nvidia specifically releases a fixed driver for WoW.

1 Like

Can confirm that reverting to 430.64 fixed this issue for me.

2 Likes

Same issues with 431.36.

1 Like

Can confirm that dx11 is a work-around for screen flickering and ui flashing. However the fps drop make its almost not worth it XD

Ok so instead of screen flicker and ui flicker with DX11 im getting the terrain flicker, as described in the update notes and shown in the video above. Edit: im on the latest 431 driver.

Have you tried both the DX11 options? i noticed some choppiness with the regular DX11.
Otherwise iā€™d try reverting back to one of the older drivers as stated by some of the previous posters that have worked for them. (For now until a fix is out)

OEM INTEL CORE I9-9900K 3.60GHZ 8/16 16MB CACHE LGA11
51 95W (COFFEE LAKE)
512GB INTEL 660P SERIES PCIE NVME M.2 SSD
3TB HDD 3.5" SATAIII 7200RPM 6.0 GB/s 64MB CACHE
ADATA 8GB DDR4-3000 XPG Z1 MEMORY
COOLERMASTER RED CASE FAN 120MM W/LED
CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H60 120MM LIQUID COOLING BULK PA 1
CASE FAN 120
ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX w/ RGB USB 3.1 2 PCIE x16 4 PCI 1
E x1 6 SATA3 2 M.2 SATA/PCIE
NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 TI 11GB GDDR6
WINDOWS 10 HOME ADVANCED DIGITAL LICENSE
ATNG 800 WATT 80 PLUS GOLD POWER SUPPLY

o, Iā€™ve tried Wow on it and getting random screen/texture flickering in different places:

1. some textures might disappear for a few seconds
  2. spell icons
  3. random black rectangles while moving cursor on the map

Iā€™ve searched forums for similar issue and tried everything suggested(updating drivers, dx commands), but nothing helped.
And then suddenly Iā€™ve tried to turn VSync on in game(while already having Freesync turned on in monitor settings and NVIDIA control panel) and it disappeared!!! Was playing for few hours without any artifacts.

I know that the problem might be solved, but still, can anybody please explain what was that and how come something never mentioned before(in game VSYNC) ā€œfixedā€ that?
I have a 144hz monitor
Thanks in advance

how do you have freesync when you have nvidia??