UI Flickering Issue on Nvidia Drivers 430.87, 430.97, 431.36

I checked to see if there was an updated driver. I didn’t see a newer one than 430.86. Maybe my card being as old as it is has something to do with it? I searched for beta drivers and they were even older than the one I have.

Edit: But I now see the link that Nathardrick provided, and I will give that driver a try when I get home from work.

I’ve tried the hotfix drivers, and they haven’t fixed the issue for me, unfortunately. I’ve also used DDU to do a clean uninstallation of my graphic drivers and rolled back to version 430.64, but that also hasn’t solved the issue for me though.

I do have a ticket open and am working with the reps to try to pin the problem down though.

Hey there friends,

It looks like the volume of reports on this has dropped, this tells me it may be best to address these on a case by case bases.

If nothing here helps, I think at this point it would be best to open a tech support ticket with an msinfo.

We want to help out here and a hands on approach may be best for some of the more stubborn screen flicker issues. :slight_smile:

/Nathardrick

1 Like

Flickering still occurs with 431.18. There is no mention of WoW related fixes in the hot fix release notes. Also experiencing occasional ERROR 132 errors and an Nvidia driver-related blue screens playing WoW.

Reverted to 430.64 and that seemed to improve stability but there’s still subtle flickering - especially in the new zones. Using DX12.

2 Likes

Unlike the others, 431.18 seems to have stopped the strange horizon glitches. I haven’t seen any UI flickering yet, but that was random. Cautiously optimistic. Maybe I should just not use MSAA. That’s what the hotfix notes say the issue is.

1 Like

I spoke too soon. The glitching on the horizon is there again this morning. Haven’t noticed flickering in the UI yet. I recorded a video with my phone, just so you can see how it appears to my eyes and eliminate the possibility that screen capture doesn’t catch it. That’s with MSAA AND CMAA.

And here is the UI flicker.

2 Likes

Reporting back with what, so far, appears to be the fix for me. Somewhat limited testing so far, but this looks to be promising.

While in WoW, hit ESC to open up the menu, click on the System button, then click Advanced. The bottom setting, for me, is Graphics Card. It was defaulted to Auto. I set it to my GeForce 2080 Ti.

I have the onboard Intel UHD 630 graphics card force-enabled in BIOS (not by choice), because I do video editing on this computer as well. When encoding H.265 video, the only way to get hardware acceleration in Premiere Pro is by having the Intel graphics enabled, so I do. So far in my testing, that’s stopped the flickering completely.

1 Like

431.18 didn’t do anything to eliminate the flickering. Luckily, I don’t have flying yet so I won’t be looking at the horizon too much anyway.

1 Like

431.18 notes do mention flickering in GTAIV, so probably just need to expand the fixes to more games

1 Like

Switch to DX11 and most likely the problems will go away.

1 Like

So here I was about to cry foul with my 2-3 year old GeForce GTX 1080 biting the dust, it was a huge investment back then and for it to die less than 3 years later would have been an absolute travesty.

Then I realized only World of Warcraft exhibits ANY graphical issues on my PC.

I was glad to find out that it’s just NVIDIA messing around with their drivers and something with the way World of Warcraft renders the DirectX12 api.

The horizon flickers. I get the black boxes. The UI sometimes flickers. It’s completely random. I can go 30 minutes to a few hours with ZERO problems, but then there’s tons of issues.

This has been most noticeable in Mechagon.

DirectX12 performance is fantastic, so that overrides the performance hit that will happen by dropping down to DX11. I am going to keep using the latest NVIDIA drivers, hopefully this situation can be resolved sooner rather than later.

2 Likes

Hi, I had this problem as well with my GTX 1080. I thought my card was dying. I tried the Hotfix drivers 431.18 that fixed it.

2 Likes

I have also been having this issue sporadically using a 2080. Mainly in the new Mechagon and Nazjatar zones.
Tried Rolling back drivers and also the hotfix 431.18.
431.18 seems to have some minor effect to reduce the flicker. Although with Post Process AA turned on, the flicker seems to revert back to its bad way.

Haven’t yet tested turning off MSAA or going back to DX11. Just hoping i won’t have to and this will be fixed soon. : /

*EDIT: I have just gone into my Nvidia control panel > 3d settings > Manage WoW settings (aka program settings) > turned Anisotropic sample optimization OFF
And the flickering seems to either have stopped or lightened down.

*second edit: It has returned in some areas; my map and Nazjatar both showing slight flickers in parts every 10-20 minutes of gameplay.

2 Likes

I have had the latest hotfix drivers for a bit now and it has not solved the flickering/horizon issues.

2 Likes

I’m having the same problem. Something with 8.2 broke DX12. :frowning:

Its not 8.2, ive had this issue a month before 8.2 when 430.87 drivers dropped, i knew right away it was the newly installed driver, because i reverted back to old driver and it was gone for a month until i installed the new drivers again

2 Likes

What??? With DX11 I am still frame capped unless I am in a raid. I personally cannot tell a difference between DX11 and DX12. Well, other than the fact that DX11 actually works.

I’m curious, how many of you that have flickering are using GSync monitors by chance?

2 Likes

It is not a gsync issue, it happens too when im playing it on my secondary cheap 1080p 60hz monitor, and it also happens when i turned off gsync on my main monitor.

Usually gsync flickering issues happen fullscreen, this issue isnt always fullscreen, it sometimes happen on different elements on the screen.

Well, GSync has had this issue in the past with flickering. Seeing as 431.18 didn’t fix everyone’s flickering issue it shows that there’s probably more than one cause.

GSync has always been hit or miss on flickering depending solely on the monitor. Not every monitor causes flickering with GSync.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/agcj4a/how_to_eliminate_flickering_on_gsyncfreesync/

2 Likes