Uh, resist the Jailer, Bolvar?

SPOILERS

In Oribos, when trying to track down Jaina, Thrall, Baine and Anduin, Bolvar has to be careful, because he risks exposing himself to Zovaal the Jailer’s influence each time he peers into the Maw and especially Torghast. It gets to the point that the Jailer actually sends magical chains through the pieces of the Helm to bind Bolvar for a time while he’s in Oribos.

But in this WIP cinematic for the Sylvanas boss fight, the Jailer and Bolvar are face-to-face with each other… but the Jailer does nothing to Bolvar, and Bolvar shows no sign of distress or struggling for control.

Sylvanas Raid Cutscene | Sanctum of Domination Patch 9.1 - YouTube

Why didn’t the Jailer do anything to Bolvar? Why was Bolvar unaffected by the Jailer in person when Zovaal’s power could reach from the Maw to Oribos to hurt Bolvar?

2 Likes

Arrogance? The Jailer is right before his goal and that’s all he can see or care to really acknowledge.

4 Likes

I don’t think it Bolvar was actually “susceptible” unless he was using the power of the Helm, which he isn’t doing here. Although, I agree that the Jailer should have just squashed Bolvar and Jaina right then and there, but apparently he didn’t feel like doing that.

2 Likes

Bolvar is beneath his notice at this point. There’s no reason to bother with him when his puppets can run interference.

I’m pretty sure its Domination Armor.

When using the helm, Bolvar exposes himself to being mindcontroled by the Jailer.

Arthas’ influence was due to the Helm and the Sword, Anduin is due to his armor and the sword.

You see Anduin “break free” during the Archon Sigil Cinematic and there are hints to Slyvanas’ helm having some soft of Domination Glow in the skull on her hood.

2 Likes

Otherwise they can’t make the story happen I suppose. I mean, while the abstract concepts presented by the devs sound like interesting bits that could be used to create interesting stories (and some people do make interesting speculation videos, or in other media forms), the actual implementation in the game is… well that’s not the topic, so whatever.

gl hf

3 Likes

Zovaal is that Civilization player who later regrets not just destroying another player with military might early in the game, when other player was given time to gain enough science to be powerful enough to withstand an attack.

2 Likes

IMO the key part, is that this Civilization player is presented in the narrative as this master tactician who spent who knows how long waiting his plans to come to fruition, and all those characters that are now “revealed” to be working for him or who was manipulated by him.

gl hf

2 Likes

They kinda made that hard to miss in the WIP cinematic, didn’t they? Although, that might not be how the camera focuses in the final product. Hopefully there is no mind control shenanigans going on with her. Her gear lacks runes, so maybe that matters. Maybe not.

“Because I didn’t feel like having to deal with that, and the plot needs to happen.”
“Fair enough!”

4 Likes

The Jailer had a tie to him because Bolvar had a tie to the Helm. Jaina, through the power of plot, disconnects Bolvar from the Helm and the Jailer at the end of the 9.0 storyline, with the aformentioned chains coming to grab him. Bolvar no longer has any useful death powers or insight into Torghast, he’s just a crispy dude.