Uh, okay, so

still the only good thing from 8.2.5

1 Like

That character was the only one in that cinematic that I was rooting for. Gal is just standing there in front of an entire army after her mistress threw a hissyfit and Hadoukened Saurfang. And sheā€™s just like ā€œYeah okay.ā€ Bang Bang

1 Like

Honestly whatā€™s sad is 8.2.5 and 8.3 have a lot of self reflective moments about problems the story has, and even solved some of them. But itā€™s sorta overshadowed by how deep in the PR hole Blizzard is.

Like the narrative started turning a corner and then real life went to hell again.

It didnā€™t.

I came back to the game after a year, upon hearing about that cinematic. I didnā€™t watch it until I got to that point of the questing experience because I wanted to see the context surrounding it.

Keep in mind Iā€™ve been a fan of Blizzardā€™s since WarCraft 2. Iā€™ve played all the Diablos, all the StarCrafts, all the WarCrafts. In that time Iā€™ve noticed a depressing repetition of themes.

Having watched that cinematic, I can say with almost absolute certainty that Sylvanas will ultimately be the one to Save Us All.

ā€œThe Horde is nothing. You are all nothing!ā€ was delivered in such a way as to bring to my mind the concept of ā€œIā€™m fighting for something on a vastly larger scale than Alliance and Horde hereā€, including the fact Sylvanas was visibly angry at Saurfangā€™s betrayal and remarked ā€œI trusted youā€.

Iā€™m convinced at this point that Blizzard is going to make Sylvanas a Kerrigan, in that only her uniqueness of being will be able to put a stop of Nā€™Zoth and allow us to take the fight to the Void Lords. That everything sheā€™s done - the attempt to kill hope, the atrocities, etc - has all been preparing the way and strengthening Azeroth for its coming conflict against the Void itself.

The fact the planet has literally been dying while sheā€™s doing this will be glossed over because, letā€™s be brutally honest here, the Heart of Azeroth has never been anything other than a gameplay mechanic and all Azerite has EVER been narrative-wise is a potent new compound for upgraded weapons. For crying out loud, even Azsharaā€™s getting in on the Azerite action !

And the less we talk about how Ashvane started out with narrative potential and then just devolved into generic sniveling underling of the Bigger Bad the better. Dangit Blizzard, you could have GONE SOMEWHERE with Ashvane. Instead I just literally watched her in a quest plead with Azshara not to let us kill her because ā€œWe had a deal!ā€

So no, I donā€™t think the narrative has turned any corner. Itā€™s still plummeting straight to the bottom of the well. At which point SYLVANAS WILL SAVE US!

1 Like

I disagree. The Horde got dissected in a meta sense, characters acknowledged that it was fundamentally flawed, and it got set on a path of possibly becoming functional. Tyrande got to tell Anduin things he didnā€™t wanna hear, and I didnā€™t see her words as villainous or ominous.

They also officially ended Red vs Blue in a large scale manner of speaking. And they stopped pretending Sylvanas has our best interest at heart. I was glad for the direction they took things, and hope it continues.

3 Likes

Oh sure. Blizzardā€™s been winking at the camera pretty heavily. Especially the ambient dialogue around Boralus Harbor, about how the war is over but the ceasefire never lasts, yada yada ā€œWeā€™re breaking the cycle!ā€ Dramatic music swell

Weā€™ve been here before, weā€™ll be here again. Look at the rehabilitation of Illidan Stormrage - or before him Ogrim ā€œLetā€™s descrate religious artifacts to create Ogre Magiā€ Doomhammer.

Sylvanas is going to be the Big Damn Hero of this expansion. Mark my words.

1 Like

Iā€™m not gonna dislike lore Iā€™d otherwise enjoy because of unconfirmed fan theories :man_shrugging:t3: The story isnā€™t perfect, but I like the way theyā€™re headed.

3 Likes

Oh no no no. Donā€™t misunderstand my statements. You are absolutely within your right to enjoy the story and be excited for what comes next. Just because Iā€™m a cynical grump doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m looking to make anyone else to become one.

Besides, even if I do see where the story is heading, that doesnā€™t mean Blizzard wonā€™t be able to tell it well. I saw Diablo IIIā€™s big ā€œtwistā€ coming with the introduction of Leah, but I still stayed invested in the story.

1 Like

I concur with your assessment, mostly. I agree that they addressed some fundamental issues with their writing, however I would say that the writing has sunk so low and weā€™ve been lied to so much that ā€œaddressingā€ isnā€™t adequate.

No probably not. My point is more thatā€¦ weā€™re not where we need to be, but now weā€™re facing that direction, at least.

If that makes sense?

1 Like

It does. But I also point out that, even while facing the right direction, you can still walk backwards.

2 Likes

Iā€™m still fundamentally disappointed that Azshara ended up being a mid-expansion raid tier instead of a dedicated expansion all her own. Especially with the overall Night Elf narrative in BfA, Azsharaā€™s return (Especially if she came offering the Night Elves ā€œrefugeā€ by transforming them into Naga) really could have been an expansion all its own.

But I do understand Blizzardā€™s hesitancy to doing that, since Legion was dominated by Alliance-side characters and BfA has a significant Alliance-slant (And the Horde keep shedding major characters at a catastrophic rate). A third expansion in a row that was Alliance-side driven probably wouldnā€™t work so well.

Honestly, speaking as a Alliance-centric player, we really NEED a Horde-centric Expansion at this point to replenish the ranks of the Hordeā€™s characters. I mean, the Horde-side narrative canā€™t exactly be carried by Baine Bloodhoof and Lorā€™themar Theron. I was pleased by how the Nightborne arenā€™t being side-lined (Plus her conversation with Jania about the ship was genuinely fun), and while I would love for Ji Firepaw to actually BE a characterā€¦the Orcs are in desperate need of someone who is not Thrall and the Forsaken could use someone who isnā€™t just Sylvanas/Nathanos 2.0 (Calia and Derek). Lillian Voss was kind of perfect in that regard but sheā€™s very much a cheerleader of the 2.0 crew.

Horde just needs some TLC. Plus, while Iā€™m dreaming, Iā€™d love to see the Alliance get a bit ā€œdirtierā€. The Night Elves are starting to rediscover their savage side, weā€™ve got Elves that are literally being whispered to by the Void, and thereā€™s that sinister undercurrent of the Lightforged Draenei that just hasnā€™t been properly explored yet.

2 Likes

You fool! You foolish fool!

Quick, Iā€™ll set the lodge ablaze, get out of here!

1 Like

i donā€™t think a horde-centric expansion would give the horde more characters. more the opposite, really, going by historically horde-centric expansions. we might get a couple neat characters that never show up again, and we will almost definitely watch a horde leader die.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s becoming almost a tradition at this point, though.

1 Like

I legitimately donā€™t think a Horde -centric- expansion is needed to replenish the ranks of lore characters for the horde.

That could be handled readily enough by taking existing smaller, but notable, characters an giving them a bit of a promotion.

Like, you can have next expac be more Alliance led in nature with itā€™s narrative and the struggles of division in the ranks, but you can have the Horde for itā€™s story go ā€œSoā€¦ two rebellions and ousting the cruel from our ranks have left us a bit drained in terms of Skilled leadersā€¦ Role Call! Whoā€™s still here and capable! You? Excellent, take this hero and lead our efforts in this region.ā€

Iā€™d honestly give characters like Lasan, Liadrin and probably Ji better writing and more active roles to simply take pre-existing characters who -should- get he spot light, and work them into it gradually.

You can also likely add any number of characters to the 3 I mentioned. Itā€™s much easier to take and promote an existing character to ensure your cast stops getting so god damn cluttered.

1 Like

We donā€™t need a Horde-centric expansion. Beyond the fact that weā€™ve just now had one and it sucked, like the last Horde-centric expansions have all sucked, we could replenish their ranks with a few questlines.

Go out to Desolace. Find Orc McBork. Kill ten Honorboars. Now heā€™s Warchief. There we go.

I feel like the Naga have consistently occupied this very dissatisfying space of the coolest promise and the worst execution.

Like, I hope Iā€™m not alone in saying that the Naga just look and feel cool. Their style is rad, their blend of Elf stuff with Sea stuff oddly works, they have a neat backstory and really cool lore.

Then, instead of doing anything interesting, they always just show up pursuing some kind of power and then die. Thereā€™s never any interesting developments in them or complex motives. Itā€™s literally just ā€œwe must get the Thing, oh no, the heroes stopped us, next time weā€™ll get that Thing.ā€

Which, to be fair, is like 90% of WoWā€™s villains. But it feels worse when the Naga do it because they wrote a check that Blizzardā€™s writing canā€™t cash.

Nobody expects much from a Quillboar, so itā€™s fine when a Quillboar just dies. But for the Naga, itā€™s like watching your very stylish friend order chicken fingers at a fancy restaurant.

5 Likes

Just kind of want to point out two things; Orgrim wanted a way to deal with the human magi, and Gulā€™dan figured how to use the elven runestones.

The runestones were never said to have religious value outside of the mention of druids, and were more just there to ward off and protect against trolls.

Feels like ā€œyes, it was evil, but not this specific kind of evilā€ is a little belaboring.

1 Like