UH in m+ feels awful

is it just me or is this class pretty complicated? i’ve recently started playing one, sitting at almost 440, and my dps is literally garbage. like 25k with cds popped garbage.

is it just me or is unholy actually kinda difficult. getting more and more tempted to roll DH, smash my face on the keyboard and top dps meters, whether im in a raid, m+, or arena.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s complicated, but it does require set up. It can feel awful on low keys when everything dies too fast to really set up. I suggest trying it on higher keys where you can properly pop 20+ Wounds at once in a DnD window. Just don’t forget to also use pet Transformation since it can cleave spread wounds. It’s on a 1min CD(or less) meaning you can typically use it every other pack pull.

But you’re right it’s not as easy as hitting Whirlwind every 3 Globals as Fury or just spamming Eyebeam and Blade Dance as DH.

4 Likes

I used to think the same.
They have ALOT of buttons, but that’s exactly the appeal. They have a lot going for them.

3 Likes

I think unholy in BFA M+ is so much fun. It’s very rewarding and have multiple levels of optimal play. I’m sure it’ll feel better with more practice!

7 Likes

UH is a great M+ spec, but I guess if you don’t know what you’re doing, it can be pretty punishing.

you really need to know how fast any given mob will die. I’ve seen a lot of inexperienced unholy players throwing out Festering Strikes on mobs that won’t live long enough for cashins. If you’re running into the issue of things dying too quickly, you should be running Clawing Shadows and Ebon Fever and aiming for shorter setups.

2 Likes

You might need little more time getting used to uh then. I dont consider my self to liking complicated spec (one of my favorite atm is havoc and frost dk) but Ive been trying out uh since I have better 2h than 2 1 handers. Its actually pretty fun. All you really need to keep track are your main dot (which only need refresh once in like 30 sec) and zits to pop. Staring aoe pull with dnd+dot+zits on main target then pop= massive damage! It requires more attention than dh but I dont think its complecated, there are so many specs id hate to play rather than uh.

Honestly unholy in low keys is like a dot class in low keys. No time to ramp up and unholy has ramp to get going. Once your in higher keys and you have a tank doing large pulls your second to none though. Pretty fun then.

It has some set up which can feel like crap in lower keys or with runs with super geared dps doing speed runs.

Also target swaps can be devastating sometimes when its not expected.

But man does it feel good when theres like 3 big pulls with DND and cds with epidemic and with sh!t gear you do insane dps

UH is a great m+ spec, but it can be complex, and it takes some finesse.

What are you running for talents, essences, azerite, corruptions? How about trinkets?

Set up correctly, we can have incredible short term burst, and pretty phenomenal AoE. But, it does take understanding to know how to use it effectively.

UH is actually my favorite M+ class to do, the AoE is insane and so is the ST if done right.

Yeah I have to say DK in general is my favouritr m+ class right now. I got all my IO as unholy. It requires you to have festermite traits x3 and know how to do your set up to do well. As unholy I can typically do 130k overall in freehold right now. Read some of the class guides.

How important are magus traits in m+?

They’re nice for sure. I run 2, but I’ve seen some people run 3x heart of darkness instead.

1 Like

yeah, magus is more suited for ST… my dk runs with 3 festermight and 2 magus with a dark as the 3rd. it’s beautiful! =]

1 Like

2 week old Dk this tier but I’m really starting to improve with haste. I’m going to farm out a 3rd expedient 2 before it’s gone its really noticible how much more dps I do. Really enjoying my Dk

My traits are horrible to. Sitting 60-70k a dungeon

The main purpose of Magus is to help unholy where it’s the weakest, pure ST. You can pick other traits that significantly increase AoE (HoD, tradewinds) but since you already has such Gucci AoE, it’s better to focus on increasing your st.

1 Like

Follow this advice. Your best trait is going to be Magus of the Dead. Every 1.1 mins with VoP you will put out amazing damage regardless of the amount of targets. Festermight is another legt trait and should be your #2 choice. Ideally you’ll have 3x Magus & 3x Festermight. Festermight will improve both your ST and especially your AOE. Stack haste and use bursting sores. When you drop DND, make sure you have multiple targets in range, and the only cast you make should be Scourge Strike for the entire duration of DND. This means getting festering wounds up first, because a single GCD spent on anything other than scourge strike is a waste of AOE damage while DND is down.

UH is a powerhouse for AOE and burst ST enabled by cooldowns. If you learn to play it properly, there are few classes that can keep up when our cooldowns are available and in terms of our overall AOE damage output.

Good luck.

1 Like

Short answer is you’ll be doing it wrong.

It’s more complex than most specs in m+, if not all. You’ve got to get the setup right, and this changes depending on every pull due to number of targets and how long the pack will live.

If you’re not up for the challenge of mastering it, yes, just reroll havoc and you’ll achieve the results in a day.

Sim yourself on patchwork, 4 targets, 40 seconds. That’s the sort of AOE burst you should be doing every couple pulls with CD’s up.

It’s extremely likely you aren’t executing the rotation properly. Here’s the opener for AOE burst:

Outbreak
Dark Transformation
Unholy Frenzy
Festering Strike 1st mob
Festering Strike a 2nd mob
Dump all RP on Epidemic
Apocalypse any mob with 4+ wounds
Drop Death and Decay
Blood of The Enemy and Trinket (macro)
Scourge Strike spam
Try not to overcap RP, use on Epidemic.

Profit with like 300-500k burst at decent gear lvl on a pack size of 5-7.

Our openers are complex, there’s often 10+ buttons that need to be pressed in the exact right order before the burst really begins. But done right, the burst is INSANE including on single target with army and hero.

Not many have the patience to master the complexities though. I constantly get asked how I do the dmg I do by ppl who have rerolled from Unholy to play FOTM classes like havoc or BM. So if you’re not up for it, just reroll.

Editing this post with a bit of advice for low keys. Unholy isn’t great when things die quickly, but a couple of things that can help patch this up a little:

Festersniping. Best example of this is pulls like the sorid packs in AD. Even in high keys they die fast. To maximize your damage, and buff yourself up for the next pull, you can do what’s called festersniping (works better with festermight traits). To do this you simply fester strike mobs that are going to die first. Stack wounds, and when it dies, the wounds will all pop and AOE everything, plus give you a bunch of festermight stacks which can be carried through to the next pull.

The other thing is just to open with outbreak, 1 fester strike, put dnd down and spam scourge strike and epidemic. It’s sub-optimal but sometimes the best way to maximize damage if things are dieing in 10 seconds or less.

A good rule of thimb to remember is that you want to try and time your dnd ending, just before the pack dies. This means you spent the maximum amount of time getting wounds out beforehand.

3 Likes

Just requires some more practice then a DH would. Once you get the hang of it though your AOE dps will be higher then it ever could be on havoc DH. I find Unholy is the funniest dps spec in the game atm and the numbers are top tier for the most part. you can reroll if you like but the spec is very solid and rewards players willing to learn it.

UH in M+ requires lots of communication between members in the group in order to perform the best, particularly in managing CDs. I’ve been a pug group where I pop CDs on a 4-mob pull and immediately after that the tank triple pull.