Tyrande as the Night Warrior: Success or Failure?

Thrall seems to have left the Shaman class and gone full Warrrior.

At least he made a good go of it and didn’t just…flail around like a fish out of water.

1 Like

You’d think that, but then he’s all like “Swords? What is this sharp pointy thing? Why does the Alliance like them? How does this work?” (It’s in quotes but clearly I paraphrased)

I’m pretty sure he tries swinging the sword like an axe (but maybe I was imagining that). I swore Warriors could use swords. I think he’s just trying to figure out what he’s going to reroll as.

When you rescue him he seems to be re-rolling back to shaman, and honestly I’m happy that his connection to the elements are returning even though. . . How would the elements hear him in Torghast?

1 Like

Pretty sure his words are “i don’t know why the Alliance likes swords”, which doesn’t imply he can’t use one. We know he can.

2 Likes

That’s not what he says. “It’s an innuendo joke about too much point… not enough… haft.”

Swords have always been an Alliance thing whereas your classic Orc warrior generally uses an axe. Again it’s a light hearted quest that pokes fun at classic Warcraft tropes that date from the RTS.

Back in Vanilla, Humans had a racial bonus with swords. (which annoyed the heck out of me when I had a class that couldn’t use them.)

1 Like

The same way they seem to hear any player character shaman I would imagine.

It’s a legit question, the realms of death don’t appear to have really elemental spirits that would be able to offer their power (barring Stygian elementals) so how do the elements hear the player or Thrall in a realm that has no elemental lords in the realm. I can understand how they hear and are able to offer the player help in Azeroth, Outland and Draenei but not the SLs.

1 Like

How is a mystery, but mot as important as the fact that they do. Might as well ask how arcane magic works in a place not connected to the Twisting Nether.

Such an insightful reply :roll_eyes:, also arcane is not from the twisting Nether? That’s fel.

Actually it is. That’s what the purpose of the Well of Eterrnity was for… to draw arcane from the Twisting Nether and pump it into leylines.

(Agreeing with you, even though replying to you)

Honestly, it is a mystery as you said, and I imagine there’s possibly some lore gymnastics that’ll be tossed in - but truthfully it’s probably mostly for gameplay reasons and they’ll try to gloss over it at best.

We could probably say that it’s difficult to understand how all magic (I guess outside of nature, which I guess goes through the Emerald dream into Ardenweald) reaches into the Shadowlands. But realistically, for players, it just makes things unplayable.

The devs could toss in some macguffin device we install in Oribus that somehow channels magic from other planes into the Shadowlands - or state that since we can pull magic into “reality” from other planes, we can also do that in Shadowlands - but it really just ends up being that if we can’t, then something akin to a third of our classes/specs just can’t function, so I suspect there’s mostly just some hand-waving and moving on.

1 Like

This one gets it.

I think World of Warcraft in general did Night Elves dirty in Vanilla and has been struggling since then with their relevance in the plot, in that we could have had them written as an aloof and bellicose race barely tied to the Alliance for mutual defense (the same way the Forsaken used the Horde), embracing a rich history of screwing the world over and barely making amends, but instead ended up with milquetost friendly, nature-themed goody elves.

Writing the Night Elves more as the Warcraft III neutral self-interested wild cards they could have been would have enriched the story for justifying the Kalimdor Horde in constant territory and resources skirmish with them (“these guys are kind of jerks”) while giving some more teeth to Alliance foreign policy as well (“the Orcs are aliens and we do want them out of Kalimdor whatever this peaceable King in Stormwind thinks about it, and no we won’t stop fighting them, you either help with that or you get out the way”).

Night Warrior Tyrande could be a step in the right direction, but ironically after 15 years of Night Elves twiddling their thumbs and a long lasting peace between Alliance and Horde now being closer than its ever been, it just feels soooo cheesy and out of character.

The constant ebb and flow of maybe peace / maybe someone gets all vengeful and screws it over starts to feel like sometime the right and left hands don’t even talk to each other anymore at Blizzard’s writing department.

4 Likes

… This is the only time I brought it up. You are literally replying to the same post twice.

You necroed a 19 day old thread to comment on something you already commented on. Lol.

Nightwarrior Tyrande justs seems crazier coming from a wc3 direction. Maieve is the one with the Avatar of vengence ability.

2 Likes

Tyrande class changed to warden obviously.

1 Like

Warden with some Illidari skills apparently