Tyrande as the Night Warrior: Success or Failure?

I’m thinking the time in the Dream “doesn’t count” as time being feral. Also we have seen that being feral doesn’t mean they are mindless, as with Alpha Prime, but also in the Dark Riders comic we see the Nightbane in Duskwood are very much sentient they just are more animalistic than their Gilnean counterpart.

I’m pretty sure that’s not the case. The killings in Ashenvale was the catalyst for Cairne challenging Garrosh, and he was Warchief then.

2 Likes

Yup. Poor forsaken got the same treatment in BFA, except they got the crap knocked out of them and lost 2 lore characters, and there’s infinitely less whining.

Hell, the Forsaken aren’t even getting any real focus in the Death themed expansion where Sylvanas and eventually Arthas are major players.

8 Likes

I wanna be a fan and be impressed. I mean, she was able to stop the mawsworn val’kyr that even Jaina couldnt stop and she killed Nathanos effortlessly. That “fight” between them was just a game to satisfy her need to humiiate him and make him suffer before murdering him. Which she did, impressively. But until I see Sylvanas getting nuclear moonfired or the Jailer being imprisoned by night warrior entangling roots or something, I’m not impressed. She could always moonfire undead hounds. That’s not exactly difficult.

LOL Forsaken didn’t have their people genocided…

Although I agree it is VERY weird that in a Death expansion the Forsaken don’t have more of a presence. I’m sure Blizzard’s logic is they don’t want people to have “forsaken fatigue” the way we got Orc fatigue in WoD, because my bet is that the Forsaken will have a big part to play in the next expansion, or maybe even later in Shadowlands.

Meanwhile Blizzard has no issue shoving Humans in our face every patch of every expansion. Apparently “human fatigue” doesn’t exist to them.

3 Likes

This is an alliance themed expansion for sure. Well Alliance and Ebon Blade. Horde is just there to murder what theyre told to murder no questions asked. BFA was horde themed.

2 Likes

Because they were able to evacuate?

Hordeside Undercity scenario has you fighting off SI:7 assassins who were specifically and intentionally killing civilians. The Alliance did not have any more respect for the lives of the forsaken than Sylvanas had for the elves.

Plus you know, the whole Alliance “Funding and supporting the Scarlets until the Scarlets started biting the hand that fed them” thing.

8 Likes

Technically that happened before WoW, but they got better.

Edit: But to be serious, about the lack of positive forsaken presentation in this expansion, I think it’s because Blizzard’s using the Ebon Blade instead. They’re the “safe” undead option to be used in a neutral context. Their class story kinda overtook some of the forsaken’s niche, in my opinion. Plus, Bolvar’s been in the bank for a decade and the story team wasn’t going to not use him.

4 Likes

I would have rather they used the Forsaken. Bolvar is whack and just meh. He also looks like he was beaten with an ugly stick.

If it hadn’t been for BFA, I’d agree. But I can’t even imagine the conniptions people would have if someone like Voss or Belmont (I honestly can’t think of any other forsaken right now) were in Bolvar’s spot giving out the quests to save people. Or God forbid, Sylvanas herself.

True. I guess we should count our blessings Calia Menethil isn’t giving us all orders… shudders

8 Likes

Ashenvale was contested in gameplay because the Horde had less land than the Alliance. In the story, the night elves won.

Azshara was quite literally never theirs in World of Warcraft. Never.

Liar, no lying.

Maiev, who was a villain, became a huge hero for the nelves single handedly overpowering the player demon hunter as well as becoming a huge character in Legion in general as well as in BFA.
Or are you going to pretend her songs aren’t sung on these here Story Forums?
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

WITHOUT THE ALLIANCE.
You cut out the important things that show how mary sue powerful the race is because it takes your argument out at the knees.

How dare a Power Sue ever fail at anything?! Tyrande must win every single encounter she endeavors unto effortlessly or it’s writing the night elves negatively, no matter how much they win or how shamefully their civilians defeat the entire Horde.

They hold loyalty unto Empress Tyrande.

7 Likes

I think the portrayal on the maw of Tyrande is pretty well done, like, it shows the power bursting out of her and breaking her apart.

There is no denial that they’ve victimized Teldrassil and night elves for a plot hook, but they also made sure Night Elves got victories after that.

Shandris has been an important figure in the war campaign (She even breaks through some magic barrier the San’layn prince was using).

Tyrande became the Night Warrior and started the Darkshore recovery scenario.

Maiev then took charge of the remaining kaldorei military and the Gilneans to recover Darkshore and Ashenvale. (Questionmark on ashenvale).

Also, I do agree Night Elves get a lot of spotlight, but It is kinda inevitable in some lore scenarios.

1 Like

Yes, but as some Horde posters will tell you when you point out the Alliance is just a reactionary plot device in a Horde-centric story: Not all attention is good attention.

Honestly, if they managed to pull off a satifying end to the Teldrassil fall out, I’d be ok, and somewhat relieved, if they never touched Night Elves again (unless we find ourselves in the highly unlikely situation of going to Fyzandi, for some reason).

2 Likes

You leave my girl Voss alone! Hugs

Joking aside though, I don’t get the hate some have for Voss, she’s a badass character in my opinion. And I don’t hate Sylvanas, I just think it was a mistake Teldrassil wasn’t dealt with during BfA, instead of them sweeping it under the rug, forcing them to do something about it now.

My reasoning is that even if the alliance player never sees Voss directly, the character still served under and fought for Sylvanas for a while in BFA. The forums already had alliance players hating having to rescue Baine (among other problems with his character) and I think Voss would be a step further in that.

Those players take this game way too seriously. Personally? Alliance needs to quest under some Horde NPCs for a change. I don’t blame horde players for being tired of constantly having to do it with alliance NPCs.

Lets makes the alliance zealots uncomfortable for once :gift_heart:

10 Likes

At some point, they have to get over that. Handcuffing the entire Horde experience because a character was adjacent to BfA? I know you feel guilty, Sarm, but I would hope the story-writing team doesn’t just completely surrender to that sort of imaginary rage boogeyman.

Not that I think they would do it anyway because they’re incapable of writing the Forsaken, but this idea that Horde players need to self-flagellate and sacrifice in the story because Alliance players might get mad is a pretty big non-starter for me.

8 Likes

Since it looks like in the AW scenario you rescue many/most of the nelf souls and bring them back, I’d like it if the sudden re-infusion of anima into the forest from the night elf souls ultimately is the reason it doesn’t fall to the Jailer. Basically turning Teldrassil into a colossal unforced error by the Jailer crew.

Then, at least, the night elves who died effectively died to save the Ardenweld and therefore nature/the wild gods, which is entirely in line with what they’ve been willing to do since WC3

The Warsong were trespassing, they are not owed any courtesy.

1 Like