Tyrande and the Whisperwinds

So running around grinding older content for transmog, achievements and the like, notice that one of the Wardens we run into has a rather unusual name.

Drelanim Whisperwind, a Kaldorei Warden, pops up in a few places.

A bit of a google search and I came across a few others.

Kamatari Whisperwind in Ashran, Kariel Whisperwind who was a rare find from your Headhunter quest in your Alliance Inn follower-finding weekly quest, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back at the beginning of it all, Orenthil Whisperwind, who gave you your vanilla Collector’s Edition special pet.

We’ve always known that Malfurion and Illidan were brothers, but we’ve never known if Tyrande had siblings or other family members, it has never been brought up, to my knowledge, and she’s never acknowledged these other NPCs.

Or maybe to the Kaldorei, Whisperwind is the equivalent of Smith.

I just find the concept that Tyrande has family but is either not in contact with them, or ostracized by them even before The Burning, a fascinating one. Are they relatives, or is it just a coincidence they share a last name? Does becoming a Priest or Priestess ‘divorce’ you from your old life and you have to abandon family ties? But if that’s the case, what about Maive and Jarod Shadowsong? Or was it Tyrande’s increasingly harsh and domineering ways alienate her family during their 10,000 year vigil over the new Well of Eternity.

What are your thoughts on this?

2 Likes

I have a hard time believing people named them mistakenly, so it’s likely that names that old and historied run down multiple generations. They’re probably distantly related but not enough to really consider inviting them to th*nksgiving.

:thonk:sgiving

there’s a couple elves that share last names with each other

while id like to say sharing first or last names (or both since ive met people with my same exact name, excluding the middle one) is just really common

the devs don’t tend to name things for coincidence. it’s prolly just meant to be a “oh Tyrande is a part of an influential family (shocker, she’s the influential part of it)”. nothing particularly deep or interesting about the read, but its something that exists.

Drelanim Whisperwind predates Orenthil, actually, given that hers was one of the random hero names in The Frozen Throne.

I’ve always figured they were all semi-distantly related. How often do you hear an elf talk about their cousin? You hear about the nuclear family a lot but the only elf cousin I can actually think of who gets a mention (discounting when people talk generally about how several races are distantly related and changed by magic, “oh yes, our naga cousins”) is Zendarin Windrunner, and that’s only because he thought his cousin’s half-elf children would have special magic blood and thus decided to kidnap them.

I mean we know that Lyandra Sunstrider must be a cousin of some sort to Kael but we get no sort of interaction or connection beyond the fact that they are vaguely related.

I’d guess maybe elves don’t get too fussed about sharing a grandparent. There’s obviously some emphasis on bloodlines, particularly among the highborne and their descendants, but the people you grow up with are what’s most important. In the case of siblings it amounts to the same.