Tyrande’s quest was NOT vengeance

Very true. The story hit the points it needed to. Its a good cinematic. Tyrande does look like a boss, but they were careful not to let her look too superior to Sylvanas. Going so far as to make Tyrande incapable of besting Sylvanas while Sylvanas was already completely at her mercy, because Elune’s power was waning.

2 Likes

Im not denying this. I think almost everyone would agree. The debate is around the claim that Tyrande isnt seeking vengeance, but justice, simply because we can “justify” her desire for vengeance.

All I can say to that is that vengeance and justice can overlap, and they likely do in this case.

2 Likes

Replace Tyrande with Zul’jin and people would likley call it silly.

Of course Tyrande wants vengeance and yes she is justified (and not that’s not the same).

I go even one step further and say in my view Blizzard let her drive for vengeance be way too small. They tried to sell us Darkshore as the Night Elves solution (didn’t work) and in the last Novel they reveled Tyrande would be “ok” with only Syvlanas head. It is justified, but it is a form of vengeance too.

2 Likes

If Sylvanas was in any real danger she could have poofed away as seen when Y’sera intervened. I think that was part of Sylvanas getting the upper hand and twisting the knife when she stayed in a prone spot as Tyrande’s power waned. All in all it was a great cinematic. It really made them both look like equals.

I really hope the mods don’t overlook this thread because not only were there valid points brought up about Kyalin’s conduct, redardless if she sanctifies it or not, she facilitatesca discord that organizes forum attacks against LGBTQ+ posters, and that in the Blizzard Forum Code of Conduct is a perma ban to anyone caught participating in.

I really think the Blizzard mods should investigate those claims.

I’m glad to hear you say that — or, you know, read it, whatever, you know what I mean. I’m glad that for some players, Tyrande continued to seem like a powerful character.

I felt good about it right up until the ending. I feel like the end wiped out a lot of the good done by the rest of the cinematic. If they even just hadn’t had Sylvanas sass Tyrande on her way out, if she’d shown an inkling of fear or just a real desire to be GONE NOW without hurling one more barb, I might have felt better about it.

As is, though, I felt like the writers left Tyrande defeated and humiliated. Again. That was the point at which finally, after a couple of years of “this’ll be your fist-pump moment” followed by something watered down to “well, coulda been worse, I guess…” I stopped believing that the WoW team – whether the story team, writers, devs, big-wigs, whoever – have any good will towards the night elf story or night elf players.

I really hope that between now and December, when my sub runs out, they change my mind.

1 Like

That’s…not much. He didn’t exactly lift a finger to stop it and only raged about it AFTER the fact and then only because he was worried about the Alliance retaliation, not about all the NE innocents being burned alive.

And to top it off, he kept on following her regardless of his inner turmoil right up until she abandoned him to die in Undercity. As much as Blizzard wants to paint a picture of him being honorable, his actions point instead to him being a hypocrite and even a coward who was unwilling to do the right thing when it mattered, just when it was CONVENIENT.

If he had immediately countermanded Sylvanas’ orders to burn the tree, loudly decried it as a craven act without honor that would forever stain the Horde’s legacy and that of their children’s children and refused to back off until Sylvanas was forced to have him dragged away in chains, THEN I would have been more convinced that he actually believed in honor and was motivated to stop it instead of just throwing a fit but doing nothing until it was far FAR too late.

4 Likes

I would count myself among the “hyper-invested in the story,” and that isn’t what I’m mad about. At this point, I don’t even particularly want Tyrande to kill Sylvanas.

What I want is for the game to provide us an un-instanced, in-game, not-on-fire, not blighted, kaldorei- and worgen-controled Darkshore with a rebuilt Auberdine and a rebuilt Lor’danel, my heritage armor, and some kind of satisfying confrontation between Tyrande and Sylvanas that doesn’t include Sylvanas being the sass queen and Tyrande impotently raging at her. Keep the warfront and instanced zone but actually give us Darkshore, instead of just saying it in one cinematic that I’ve seen once out of hundreds of times I did that warfront. (Ideally they’d get the Horde out of the in-game Ashenvale, too, but I doubt that’ll ever happen). Tyrande could be magnanimous towards Sylvanas, she could choose to forgive her because ~reasons (half a soul, actions Sylvanas takes to make reparations – like getting the Horde the heck out of Darkshore and preferably Ashenvale), or whatever, but I mean, there’s no possibility of justice for something like what Sylvanas did. There’s only ways to work towards healing from it.

I think you’re reading a very vocal minority of night elf players as representing a kind of hive mind. I think most of us just want to have a meaningful win and some meaningful reparations for the kaldorei, so they can rebuild and start to heal.

5 Likes