Turn based rpgs, seeking one

I really enjoy these and am looking for some titles to try while on vacation and downtime from wow when no events are on the guild/community calendar. I have done FF(3,4,7,8,9,10,12) dragon quest elusive age, not a fan of ff13 or 15(both beautiful but sort of too far a move from what i am seeking)

I am looking for something on steam on pc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Have you tried the Xenosaga trilogy? The third one especially is utterly delightful.

They are, however, VERY cinematic heavy. The first one, Episode I, is basically a very long cutscene, but one with enduring characters and plenty of worldbuilding. The sequels are much lighter on the videos, but have far more gameplay and are a joy to play through. They are classic turn-based strategy, through and through. Episode III is the best of the trilogy, with its much tighter gameplay, better graphics, heartfelt moments, and a truly beautiful ending to the series.

Back on ps2 i did- do they have a PC port?

No, unfortunately. I heard rumors of a rerelease, with updated graphics and the like.

damn if i remember right, i dont think i finished the 3rd before my ps2 idk got thrown across the room at my brother (that was highschool hard to remember lol)

Id love to see Lunar 2 eternal blue again as well

All else fails i need to finish rise of tomb raider and shadow of tomb raider but just not in that mood lately.

1 Like

Divinity Original Sin 2 is turn based, and it has absolutely amazing story, music and characters; I just really love Larian Studios after playing DOS2 :heart:(if you do play, Fane is the best companion :heart: you can romance your companions too :slight_smile: ) . You could also get the 3DS remakes of Dragon Quest 7 and 8 too :slight_smile:. I’ve been playing Dragon Quest 4, after getting hooked from DQ7 I went and bought all the games I could :stuck_out_tongue:.

1 Like

If you have a game cube or dreamcast, Skies of Arcadia (DC) or Skies of Arcadia: Legends (GCN Port) can burn 60+ hours. It’s one of the best, lesser known, RPG games out there. If lugging around a console is an issue, I’m sure there is another way…

Pretty much lookin for PC ports :frowning:

Lords of Xulima is a pretty fantastic new retro-style pc rpg that scratched all my itches in the right places.

My favorite of all time is Ogre Battle 64 for Nintendo 64.

If you can get your hands on it or an emulator, you won’t be disappointed. Insane amount of hours of fun.

1 Like

While I don’t think it quite fits the “turn-based” requirement, one option could be the more modern Xenoblade games; I’ve had quite a bit of fun with those over the last few years. Same developer as Xenosaga (and Xenogears), though they’ve moved away from the extremely heavy cutscenes in favour of more gameplay… and it’s actually been for the better, in terms of the overall game. Themes are lighter than their predecessors, which is a debatable point.

… the one catch is that they’re exclusive to Nintendo consoles, which can be a potential financial barrier here. The first Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X can be played on the Wii U (first one needs a Wii controller to make it work though, alternatively a “New 3DS” carries a port), while Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is on the Switch.

In my opinion at least, they’ve more or less taken over the spot the older Final Fantasy series occupied from IV through X. Good gameplay, great stories, some mature themes weaved in (though not quite as mature as the earlier Xeno titles, Nintendo is probably wary of letting them go that far… yet), and fitting in that little niche between “kid game” and “absolutely no kids game”.

Another game which would be worth checking out would be NieR: Automata, which is available on Steam.

… the one catch again, it doesn’t fit into the “turn-based” criteria. This one is full-on action RPG, with the gameplay being done by Platinum Games (Bayonetta). However, the story and themes are dark and HEAVY.

… and it’s pretty damn good to boot. The only reason it didn’t claim “Game of the Year” back during 2017 is that it was going up against Breath of the Wild.

Xenoblade Chronicles series are not turn based.

but XCX has a wicked OST.

Disgaea series (1, 2, 5 are on pc) and are turn based in a way (your entire team then enemies).

Darkest dungeon is also an option…but it can also be frustrating (as it has basically a sanity meter)

Hyper dimension neptunia games are mostly turn based RPG (the 1-3 rebirth, hyperdevotion Noire goddess blackheart, VII).

Might and Magic series “may” be an option also.

Thank you everyone. I will try out a couple of those. @Lockedheart I played Might and Magic long time ago and think I liked it, will see what I can find.

@raelhorn I didn’t know near:automata (it looks fun, I downloaded it - specially since you mentioned bayonetta which I actually love devil may cry and bayonetta (though only have played the first one)

Thanks everyone again. gave me plenty of choices!

Hope you enjoy it. A couple details of note:

• Bayonetta-style hack & slash gameplay is a big part of the gameplay, but it also freely switches between that and bullet-hell shooters (lots of stuff to dodge). The perspective of the gameplay also changes quite frequently (sidescroller, top-down combat, full-on 3D combat… all just by change in the camera angle), which is pretty interesting.
  • To “complete” the game, you have to clear it a minimum of 3 times; the “true” ending is actually the 5th ending. It’s a weird quirk of the creator’s games. First playthrough will be completing the game as normal, second will actually switch the perspective to the “partner character” for the first playthrough (while filling in some more of the lore which the first playthrough skimmed over)… and the 3rd playthrough is COMPLETELY different and takes place after the events of the first two playthroughs. I won’t go into detail to avoid spoilers… but it’s mostly to let you know, after “finishing” the game with 10-15 hours of gameplay… you’re actually nowhere near done yet.
  • There’s a total of 26 different endings for the game, one for each letter of the alphabet. A, B, C, D, and E are the “main endings”. Almost every other one is a “joke ending”.
1 Like

Here are a few I can recommend:

Dragon Quest 11: Echoes of an Elusive Age (play it again)
Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition
Grandia II: Anniversary Edition
South Park: The Stick of Truth
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
I am Setsuna

and Edge of Eternity is one to keep an eye on, it’s an indie game currently in early access.

People also seem to enjoy Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1. I haven’t really bothered with it.

2 Likes

Still working on post game stuff on dq11. Then thinking to do it on draconian

I played through the game in its entirety with Draconian Hard Monsters, that alone makes it quite the experience.

1 Like

Xcom2 , Battle tech are pretty cool games to try out

Oh another one on Steam if you don’t mind turn-based/real time and a game that is super old, there’s Anachronox.