Trying to transfer character from one acc to another

Hi I am trying to transfer my character from a acc that no longer has a sub to my main account. and it wont let me becuase it says character is marked inactive and to log in and out and try again.

I cant log in cuz it has no sub and I do not want to activate a sub and spend 15 bucks just to be able to transfer the character to my main account.

Is this something customer support can help me with?

“You cannot transfer a character to or from a Starter Edition account.” When your sub expires, your account essentially reverts to Starter.

Unfortunately this is something Blizzard does not allow. I recommend posting feedback in GD (General Discussion) if this is something you’d like to see changed.

You can put in a ticket and ask for a day of game time, so that you can log onto that character.

1 Like

ok i will do that. thanks

1 Like

I know 24 hours can be sometimes be given as an exception to those who need to retrieve gold from their mailboxes to buy 30 days of game time with gold, but has this ever been done for character transfers? Considering character transfers can take 24 hours to complete, I’d be (pleasantly) surprised if they did this since the 24-hour “free” game time starts as soon as they add it.

Sometimes, it’s not a guarantee, but a ticket is the best route to go.

2 Likes

It’s an exception in either case. The reason is usually less important than if we’ve provided that sort of exception before. When I was a GM I helped people who wanted to make updates to their guild permissions to avoid getting dethroned, or grab auction mails before they expire.

It’s never guaranteed, but doesn’t hurt to ask.

4 Likes

Awesome, never saw it stated that way here before but this makes things far clearer. “Pleasantly surprised” is my reaction. Thanks!

1 Like

I have a starter edition attached to my main account, do you know if I could transfer a character off there to my main account? I can access the character, but it’s definitely listed as “starter”. I’d love to move it to my main account if that’s possible.

You would not be able to

As mentioned by Humanbeak above

Account Restrictions

• You cannot transfer a character to or from a Starter Edition account

Even though running out of game time puts the “Starter Restrictions” back on a game license, a license that was active but runs out of time is different than one that has never had game time.

You’d probably just want to start the character over on your active/upgraded game license.

1 Like

Sorry, I should have clarified:

It’s not a separate account (as in one with an entirely different email address). It’s one attached to my main account in the drop-down box.

If I upgraded it for a single month, could I then transfer the character off to my main account?

Edit: I’m assuming that an “upgrade” would just require a single month’s subscription to unlock everything up to level 50, and minus Shadowlands content.

That’s correct, and yes that would then allow the character to be transferred.

Though, that’s extra money to spend on a lower level character so I didn’t want to make that recommendation.

2 Likes

I appreciate that!

In my case though, it’s a character I enjoyed playing, but I forget about it a lot because it is “elsewhere”.

Besides, with the levels squished to 60 now, it’s a lot less work to get to max level and to some people, it’s worth the extra money on a character they will actually play.

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn’t even sure I could move this character at all because of the way it was created. :smiley:

1 Like

No problem! One additional point of clarification I’ll make is that when upgrading a ‘new’ account for the first time you may need to allow 24 hours for all the starter restrictions to be lifted. So even after you add the time, the transfer may not be allowed till everything has finished processing. So don’t panic :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have personally done it so it is possible, granted made clear it was an exception.