Trying to Figure Out Warrior

I am just trying to understand the confusion on OPs part

Because Arms interacts with abilities that only work in Battle Stance - Sweeping Strikes, Overpower, Charge. So my thought was that I should just be in Battle Stance 100% of the time - especially since for the majority of my levelling, that’s how the class played.

I don’t think OP understands that the crit in zerker is more than just a crit bonus for damage, but also increases rage generation through more white crits.

I do! But then my head exploded because I’m supposed to swap between two stances for AoE fights to use sweeping strikes and whirlwind. I still don’t fully understand how sweeping strikes is worth it, I get that it is… but I’m used to the retail version, where my single target abilities just hit 1 extra person for 15s.

Ok. Berserker most of the time, swap to Overpower, then back to Berserker.

I recommend a weak aura to highlight when overpower is available and a macro that will change your stance and cast Overpower in a single button push.

Done the first!

I was suggested this for a macro:

#showtooltip [Stance:3] Overpower; Whirlwind
/cast [stance:3] Battle Stance; [stance:1] Berserker Stance
/cast [stance:1] Overpower; [stance:3] Whirlwind

Then I put the same macro on the same key for each stance, so I could flip back/forth.

Whirlwind should only be used on single targets if you need to dump rage. It’s a good button to hit before you overpower for that reason.

Got it. Whirlwind only if need to drop rage before changing stances.

As others have stated, this will improve as your gear improves because you will do more damage with your white hits and gain additional rage from that. You should definitely be using the Endless Rage rune on your gloves if you aren’t already.

Endless Rage and Frenzied Assault, along with Flagellation and Precise Timing.

It took me a while to master. Much, much more complicated than phase 1. You definitely need a weak aura to alert you when flagellation is down. Another for when overpower is up.

Alhaundoh (the best warrior parser) did a very detailed video explaining it. Talents, Runes, Gear, Buffs, Rotation, all of it. Do exactly what he says to do and you will be solid.

youtu.be/oqLinrXM6Yw?si=cYyekIH_XNMVk1oI

I’ll take a look at that video, thanks.

I found a WA for Flagellation, trying to find a better one for overpower (the one I have now only triggers on dodge)

If you didn’t rush to 40 as fast as possible you’d have learned how to play the class.

If you didn’t rush to 40 as fast as possible you’d have learned how to play the class.

I hit 40 last week, I rolled warrior in Phase 1. I didn’t ‘rush’ anything.

A lot of your dps is gonna come down to group composition

so you need a feral and preferably a priest for homonculus if you don’t have windfury u are toast

next you need world buffs

after that you need runes, for 31 point arms 2h you want precise timing, flagellation, endless rage, frenzied assault

in an ideal situation you would start like this, full rage bar, single target

berserker rage first global → heroic strike + slam 2nd global - > mortal strike → whirlwind → then slam → mortal strike → ww in that prio order, if you get windfury procs and get lucky, then you should heroic strike to dump, blood rage as soon as the berserker rage flagellation falls off, if you have any activatable (helm/belt/racial), you should use them when you blood rage for the first time, if you get a dodge you should switch to battle and overpower asap then back to zerker

This thread is FULL of misinfo its insane.

2 Likes

You gotta learn the warrior dance, once you do it’s not bad

So, I guess this means you’re using your action bar numbers 1,2,3,4 etc. that change when you swap stances.

I’m curious if you’ve copied the macro correctly or what’s going on with it. It seems to show:

line 1

#showtooltip [stance:3] Overpower; Whirlwind

This reads to me like if in stance 3 (which is berserker stance) show the Overpower tooltip, otherwise show the Whirlwind tooltip.

line 2

/cast [stance:3] Battle Stance; [stance:1] Berserker Stance

This says if in stance 3 (berserker stance) cast Battle Stance. If in stance 1 (battle stance) cast Berserker Stance.

Line 3

/cast [stance:1] Overpower; [stance:3] Whirlwind

This say if in stance 1 (battle stance) cast Overpower. If in stance 3 (berserker stance) cast Whirlwind.

To me, only the last line makes sense, and it’s not doing anything if you are in Defensive Stance, which I suppose is fine if it’s only on your bars for stance 1 and 3.

As a sort of soft introduction to Classic Warrior, and macro building, I’d recommend having a look at Elite’s Warrior Tanking Guide, from way back in September 2019. It’s not 100% relevant to SoD, but it’s not far off. There were no runes in WoW Classic 2019.

Did you quest or spam dungeons?
If it’s the latter that’s your answer.

Your analysis is right!

The way it was explained to me, was it was a means to swap between Berserker Stance into Battle Stance to cast overpower with 1 button press, and then use the same macro to swap back.

A bit of both.

1 Like

Spamming dungeons with WF is a way better way to get your raid rotation muscle memory down faster. I dont quite understand the logic of solo questing will teach you how to group play better than actual group play.

It takes longer to level solo than in a group so you spend more time learning how to play the class before you jump into a dungeon with sweaty jerks who scream at you because you’re not playing a meta class/spec.

If you know what you’re doing power questing, it’s actually dramatically FASTER than grouping for things. Of course it does depend a bit on the amount of competition as well… alts will be faster open world, mains getting leveled right as a phase starts will have 1039582103598210359820395680 other people leveling in teh same zones, which can slow you down.

Thats not true for warrior. Warrior you need to know how to play when solo and buffed. rage generation is totally different without wf you will never build the muscle memory you need questing. Maybe you can learn how to kite tho

Knowing your rotation != knowing how to play the class.
That’s how you get warriors that don’t know how to tank.

1 Like

If you choose not to tank 5 man then ya you wont have the tank roatations for a raid. But again my point stands tanking 5 mans will prep you for raids or end game content

You should be doing both so you learn what your toolkit does.

This might be controversial to some people. But I have noticed people who main warriors came from different backgrounds, some were more adapt of being a arena pvper, some were into large group pvp, some were from the school of fury main DPS, some were arms DPS, some were tank mains. Tbh I found a large amount of variation in terms of how people play the class. Even people who used to tank in vanilla, tbc and wotlk has slightly different playstyles due to itemization and talent differences. Just develop your own playstyle as long as it makes sense because the amount of interactions among warrior stances and spells require specific scenario, like you could only disarm while in def stance, you could only counter instant fear and incap while sitting in berserker stance or overpower can only be used in battle stances. There is an optimal way to play as warrior but the specific scenario requires you to adapt to certain situations, I still make a few misplays myself even having roughly 5yrs classic warrior experience.
It all come down to your personal preference are you more into pve DPS, or pve tank or pvper.

I do believe this game offers low skill floor with steep learning curve for each classes. Which makes it retain it playerbase in the long run.

Get a feral druid and a priest the runs homunculi.