Trying out fire... got a few questions

Trying out fire for the first time, and I have a few questions about rotation and ability usage.

-If I’m running Searing Touch, how do I approach the execute phase? All I’ve seen suggested is “replace Fireball with Scorch”. Do I still use Fire Blast when Heating Up procs, and do I still try to use an instant Pyroblast when Scorch finishes casting? While I’ve been getting the hang of the standard rotation with Fireball, swapping to Scorch seems to throw something off, and I’m not sure what it is.

-Do I ever cast Flamestrike during Combustion? Mostly wondering for M+ and how to appropriately use Combustion during trash pulls. (Is the real solution to just run frost for M+ though)?)

-My mage has a Shiver Venom Relic. Is there anything I need to be aware of for using it as fire? I assume it should not be used during Combustion.

My understanding:

During execute phase you replace fireball by scorch yes. If heating up is up your scorch will automatically proc an instant Pyro that you should cast. If heating up is not on, then you cast FB during the scorch cast to make sure the scorch trigger an instant pyro.

For M+ combustion on trash, no never use FS during combustion your combustion allows you to build a huge ignite on a main target and spread it to the entire party, trick is to find the highest health target, also you will likely pull from the tank if early so be careful.

The reason you might find something off when using scorch vs fireball is probably the fact you can’t really do pyro fishing as you would from casting pyroblast right at the end of a fireball, however the rotation is essentially the same. It might just feel different because scorch reaches the target instantly vs having both fireball and pyroblast landing at the same time.

The reason you always cast a pyro with a fireball (for >30% health) is that they will land at around the same time and trigger the minor grace period for heating up, meaning if one crits and the other doesn’t, you dont lose a heating up proc.

Scorch is instant, so that rule doesn’t apply.

During execute phase, i use Fire Blast to stack BM to 3, kinda like during a combustion phase. Since i get 100% crit anyways, i get BM. If im feeling lazier, i also casting it during scorch if i dont have a heating up, as scorch+fire blast will get me a hot streak.

Altered Time says you can use flamestrike during combustion at 8+ mobs. I think thats assuming flame patch aswell?? Double check that. I never do that tho, better to get big ignites during combustion like other posters said.

Honestly, cant help ya on that new trinket. Im still trying to comprehend that the two new BIS trinkets arent ‘buff yourself during combustion’ effects.

What are you guys doing with rotation after you have blown all your FB charges and combustion CD’s. I feel like i have long periods where nothing is procing and i’m just spamming fireball waiting for 2 FB charges so i can get a PYRO off. I feel like i have mixed results waiting on FB charges and just blowing them off as i get them.

Same thing for Meteor, after the opener i’m always confused whether or not i should wait for 3 BlasterMaster charges or Just drop it.

Only use FB once you get heating up, followed by Pyro. Don’t use 2x FB on it’s own.

I currently only have 1 blaster master trait, that may be the reason i’m not to excited about my numbers.

I attempted to raid as fire last night without having played the spec seriously in several years. It went about as bad as I expected.

Shiver Venom Relic’s activation doesn’t trigger the GCD so there’s no reason not to use it during combustion.

1 Like