Trust Levels are a Thing

If you’ve noticed you can’t do certain things while other people can, such as linking gifs, images or just links in general, it’s because Blizzard has introduced something called a Trust Level.

Better get to browsing those forums people. You can find info on it on the general forum’s sticky. I’d post a link but well…

I’m not trusted enough.

16 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

They’re apparently character specific, too. I guess that’s to make people avoid posting on alts? I wonder if the post counts in general are different between characters, too; that’d remove a good way to tell when someone is trolling.

3 Likes

Hewwo it me Awison. Testing. Testing.

1 Like
3 Likes

Is there a way we can view our “Forum Trust Level”?

Kind of sucks if it isn’t retroactive because I’ve been posting like a mad man since Wrath.

7 Likes

Huh… There’s a lot about this new forum layout that I find very strange; some of it is at least decent and I like some of the new features, but quite a bit of it is puzzling.

Still, as weird and wonky as Trust Levels are as a concept, they might actually be required for some sense of normalcy and control on forums as volatile as some of the WoW General threads that pop up.

7 Likes

The Trust level system makes sense to me, tbh. It’s entirely about security. Blizzard obviously doesn’t want some rando shmuck popping in and posting/linking something highly inappropriate. There are some algorithms out there that attempt to filter what is in an image, but it’s a monumental task to attempt to explain to a computer what an image contains. Most of those algorithms are really wonky, and don’t work well.

Considering we were previously completely unable to embed any sort of image, or direct link, I think the Trust system is the best way to allow either of those to happen at all.

~~I’ve also been told that links to Youtube and Twitch are available to everyone at base level trust, presumably because those are relatively safe.
For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo7XPvwRgG8~~ Edit: See Jordariel’s post below!

I do agree with Dloin, though. I wish this new system could take past posting into account.

3 Likes

I’ve asked a friend who Knows Things™ and there is apparently a sort of goofy way to check your trust level.

1. On this page, click the top right little portrait of your character
  2. At the top left of the box that appears, click the name of your character
  3. The page that loads should be something like:
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/u/YOURCHARACTER-moon-guard
    Add ".json" at the end and hit enter.
  4. Hit Ctrl+F and search for "Trust". Pretty much everyone should either be at Trust level 0 or 1 right now.
TO CLARIFY: If the json says you are trust level 0, you are at Trust Level 1. Coding be weird like that sometimes. Trust Level 1 is required to post links to Youtube and Twitch, not baseline. Edit: See Jordariel's post below!

Additionally, Trust levels can be gained simply by:
  • Entering Topics
  • Spending time reading posts
  • Replying to topics
  • Giving Likes
  • Receiving likes
  • Not being flagged

I’m not sure what thresholds are currently required to gain trust levels, as the Discourse software these new forums use allow for the adjusting of those. All in all gaining trust is as easy as using the forums, and not being a jerk. P easy.

Hope some of you find this helpful!

12 Likes

Very close! if you see both trust_level_0 and trust_level_1 in the lovely little json search, then you have TL1. If, for example, you reach TL2, you’ll see 0, 1, AND 2.

Certain sites are “trusted” and can be linked to by TL1 and up. These sites are Youtube and Twitch, as far as we can see. I’d imagine Blizzard in-site links can be linked to by any TL.

4 Likes

You might be a GM, a longtime (i assume) player of the Game, and a community event creator.

BUT HOW CAN WE TRUST YOU?!?!?!111

2 Likes

To be fair, it’s likely due to mechanical reasons. It sounds like the Discourse WoW forum can track a LOT more than the (admittedly ancient) WoW forum format. of the past.

Just off the top of my head, the new forum can track stuff like how many topics you’ve viewed, how long you’ve been reading topics the Like system (opposed to thumbs up/down), and so forth. Plus it probably tracks characters and posting a bit differently now.

What would they have used to establish a trust system based off of the previous system? Post count? Maybe, but there can certainly be less-than-savory types who like to make a lot of posts.

This way the good posters can still rise to the top, there are no false positives, and anyone who was an MVP before already has their Trust Level raised.

4 Likes

When you have to do some crazy thing to check a thing that matters to do more things but this thing can’t be checked by people to know what things they can do…or…wait…i confused myself…
Who had this idea again?

3 Likes

I can’t wait to rep farm the forums!

9 Likes

Glad its not a forum patch for WoW…

1 Like

Below is a detailed syntax that can help with your formatting.

Click this for the Code, it's pretty long so beware.

⢀⡴⠑⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣀⣤⣤⣤⣀⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠸⡇⠀⠿⡀⠀⠀⠀⣀⡴⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣦⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠑⢄⣠⠾⠁⣀⣄⡈⠙⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡀⠁⠀⠀⠈⠙⠛⠂⠈⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⡿⢿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⢀⡾⣁⣀⠀⠴⠂⠙⣗⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⠭⢤⣴⣦⣤⣹⠀⠀⠀⢀⢴⣶⣆
⠀⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⣿⣷⣮⣽⣾⣿⣥⣴⣿⣿⡿⢂⠔⢚⡿⢿⣿⣦⣴⣾⠁⠸⣼⡿
⠀⢀⡞⠁⠙⠻⠿⠟⠉⠀⠛⢹⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣌⢤⣼⣿⣾⣿⡟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⣾⣷⣶⠇⠀⠀⣤⣄⣀⡀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠉⠈⠉⠀⠀⢦⡈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣶⣶⣶⣶⣤⣽⡹⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠲⣽⡻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣜⣿⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣷⣶⣮⣭⣽⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣀⣈⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠟⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠛⠻⠿⠿⠿⠿⠛⠉

6 Likes

aaaaa my trust i need an adult

1 Like

Berenal, I swear to god. The world is gonna roll ya.

1 Like

Pretty Bad system if I do say so myself! No point to it! Remember when forums were just about posting? Blizzard hold yourselves accountable.

1 Like

well played.

1 Like