Torghast, Tower of the Damned Timer šŸ•›

I knew from the start, they would add a timer. This reminds me of island expeditions and look what good that brought. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Their E-sport decisions or nature as ruined WoW, in general. But, thatā€™s just me talking. Ppl do appreciate what blizzard does, like how they did to BFA and an ā€œOff WoW mmorpgā€ game, WoW refunded. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

46 Likes

I hope they end up deciding thatā€™s not a good idea or somehow separate timed runs from ā€œcasualā€ ones.

I like to take my time. Plan pulls with my group (if Iā€™m in one) talk about ccā€™s and just enjoy the content at my pace.

I hate feeling in a rush while constantly jumping and bouncing around. But Iā€™ll play it either way. Just my preference.

15 Likes

Thereā€™s still plenty of time to convince them against the foolishness of adding any form of timer.

Quite frankly, there simply isnā€™t any way to balance a timer on content that is required progression (in this case, for the legendaries) of any kind. It will always feel awful to see the timer ticking. Further, depending on the ā€˜timerā€™ you get and your class, some of these torments are more punishing than others.

I think torments, if added at all, should be 100% completely optional. Further, if selected, all they should do is enable a player to refine what possible loot drops, and not in anyway increase the ilvl of said loot or have items that ONLY drop with a torment active.
Trading run-time for less RNG is fine in this case. But it should be optional.

8 Likes

There pretty much have to be soft timers or they have to remove all abilities with longer cooldowns.

They canā€™t balance Torghast around my ability to pop Time Warp on every pull.

Iā€™m not a fan of timers either, but in an endless dungeon I will always get much, much farther if I can wait out my timers on every pull. Because effectively, that would mean that there are no cooldowns because you can use everything every pull.

9 Likes

The timer is there for a good reason, to give you a small push to keep moving and not wait on cds as the normal strat for every pull.

But Blizz also said they want real feedback on it to balance it properly. How does it play in practice? Which torments feel fine and which donā€™t? What floors should it start on? And so on. Thatā€™s what they need to hear.

Some players are just seeing the buzzword ā€œtimerā€ and automatically rejecting it, without actually testing it to give valuable feedback so it can be formatted right. Thatā€™s not really useful.

7 Likes

The timer will keep me out of it. If I want to race I would run mythic+, have not ran one of them for over 3 years and never will. This just made the tower dead content for me. Iā€™m not running mythic+2.0.

15 Likes

Youā€™ve got it backwards. Itā€™s incredibly easy to balance progression when thereā€™s a timer involved.

Youā€™ve got 40 minutes to do that M+ run. Canā€™t do it? Not ready for the next level.

That creates a far less frustrating wall when you canā€™t progress because you canā€™t beat the timer than when you canā€™t progress because your healer literally canā€™t stop the tank from being one-shot with cooldowns.

In the context of Torghast, it also makes balancing roles a lot easier. Tanks and Healers have significantly better survivability than DPS, but the downside of course is that they do less damage. Thatā€™s not really a downside when the only metric for failure in the content is actually dying.

Having a timer stops them from having to do bandaid fixes where they halve Tanks and Healers survivability but double their DPS so the roles can actually compete.

1 Like

ā€œwe want a challenge!ā€

They make a challenge

ā€œHow dare you make it challenging!ā€

• Everyone of the timer threads.
16 Likes

Torghast = Mythic 2.0

Blizzard has officially doubled down on the bad idea that is brings out the absolute worst in itā€™s player base. Hopefully they will learn their lesson in the expac after shadowlands.

Go go go Zoomers! Meep Meepā€¦ā€¦zooooooooom.

9 Likes

I think itā€™s because of Ion and his obsession with timers since ZA on BCā€¦

3 Likes

They literally posted 2 hours later that itā€™s not set in stone, that they want to explore other options, and want more feedback.

The same people crying about Torghast will be sinking all of their free time in it anyways.

Iā€™d just like them to shut up just for one day.

ITā€™S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. And, just because you people donā€™t know why the timer will exist, doesnā€™t make the timer a bad thing.

Good godā€¦ these forumsā€¦ good god.

6 Likes

I liked the idea of the torments initially (several posts to this effect). But looking at it in practice I think I may have changed my mind.

It just isnā€™t worth it. If the power rewards are capped and they have checkpoints then there isnā€™t really much point in worrying about people milking extra floors by waiting forever.

The torments looked fine on paper but just kind of suck in practice. The idea of enemies spawning to come and get you was fun but those dogs can pop up right after a combat, spawn way too often, and they are just annoying. And that was the best torment. The others are just BS stacking debuffs that donā€™t really impact you but sit there taunting you the whole time.

Checkpoints and properly tuned difficulty will solve the major issues. The weird edge cases of people waiting for lust isnā€™t worth the effort.

1 Like

Yeah, except for the fact that Island Expeditions have a literal timer counting down to a finite end, with no time to leave.

Meanwhile, Torghast is an infinite, procedurally generated tower with crazy overpowered abilities that turn Mages into armies and Demon Hunters into targeted missiles. It also has rest areas and periods at which you can make smart decisions that help you climb higher and higher.

I said it in a previous post, and Iā€™ll say it again. You have no clue what youā€™re even talking about.

2 Likes

I donā€™t mind timers shrug not sure why everyones been making such a huge fuss about it lately.

2 Likes

Because people think the ā€œtimerā€ will function similarly to that of Island Expeditions and Visions.

Thing is, the ā€œtimerā€ isnā€™t actually a problem in the slightest. The only point at which it becomes an issue is when you are at a point you are not supposed to be at.

Remember, Torghast is a roguelite. You are meant to get kicked out at some point because of an error or the difficulty becomes too much. Thatā€™s what this is. This is a measurement that prevents people from reaching floors they shouldnā€™t because theyā€™re undergeared or lack skill.

That being said, itā€™s overtuned. And actually annoying based on actual testers who know better than I, as theyā€™ve played it.

4 Likes

did we really need another thread on this issue?

5 Likes

If I canā€™t stop for 5 to 10 minutes after killing a pack to:

• Answer the door
  • Make a sandwich
  • Use the restroom
  • Help my kid
  • Take the dog out
  • etc

Then the new timer/soft timer system in Torghast is bad.

This new system seems to discourage exploring floors, it is going to make me worry about dying because I am not going fast enough, it adds anxiety to content that should be something I can do to relax and see how high in floors I can go.

Can we get one of these great suggestions instead?

• Limit lust/hero to a specific number per floor.
  • Power that buffs them but limits the number of times it can be used per floor.
  • Create a power that reduces the cooldown of the power and balance around them having it.
  • Make it so the cooldown timer on skills with a cool down over a certain time stop when you are out of combat for over a certain amount of time.
  • Make it so drums canā€™t be used in the tower
10 Likes

Iā€™m with you OP: Nerf Demon Hunters.

3 Likes

Ion, king of fun killing. Blizz, replace this guy please. He doesnā€™t know what players want, has led the WORST expansion in general, and now, making punitive changes because players are doing things they do not want them to doā€¦justā€¦get rid of him and this punishment mindset.

3 Likes