Torghast Anima Powers+

Thing I was looking forward to the most in Shadowlands = Torghast
Thing I like the least after trying everything I can less than a week in = Torghast.

This is about both Anima Powers and Layer Design.

I knew the floors were being switched into layers and no longer being a 72 floor run sorta thing like in Beta, but the Devs talked about (during developement) how if you wanted to, you can just run the latest layer (currently 3) and get all the rewards for the previous layers, or you can run each… one. But… why? Why would I want to run layer 1, 2, then 3, when 3 gives me the reward for all 3.

All I wish is that after unlocking all layers (currently 3) I can queue for the first layer and do all would be 48-54 floors in a row (currently 18). Not 6, then 6, then 6, losing all my anima powers between runs. I saw Torghast and was excited because of the roguelike mechanics, but having it down to 6 floors per layer, its hardly a roguelike at this point.

I’ve gotten as little as 7 and as many as 23 anima powers in a single run; and most of them aren’t even good for my class (Prot Pally). I can get through layer 3 solo with ease, but it isn’t fun. And beta made Torghast look like it was gonna be fun. I do not have fun in Torghast, it feels more like a chore.

What’s so wrong with wanting to run Torghast, just for fun; building up hundreds of anima powers over dozens of floors? Layers for people who want to just do the last layer for reward, yes, but what about those who want to sit down for a few hours and awe at the crazy mechanics and encounters you get.

And, this may just be a personal issue with my runs, but I need to actually get duplicates of items for items to ACTUALLY be any good. Every run I get basically 1 of around a dozen items and maybe 2 duplicates. I want a run where I can have those 14 items but with like 4 of 1, 3 of another, 6 Crit chance ones, etcetera. Like. I want to actually stack my powers like how roguelikes actually work.

Maybe having a trading system in game where you can swap out say, 2 greys for a green, 2 greens for a blue, 3 blues for a purple, or something like that.

I saw Torghast during beta and I was mega excited. But coming into the game now, I haven’t gotten a SINGLE item that is actually decent. I’ll often take greys over purples and blues because the purples and blues I get just… suck. And I’d rather have duplicates of specific greys than have a crappy purple.

The only good run I had was with 3 stacks of +25% damage to Hammer of Wrath, 3 stacks of +30% when under Forbearance. And 1 stack of when you cast Hammer of Wrath add 3 seconds to the duration of Avenging Wrath.
And Hammer of Wrath can only be used when the enemies get to 20% health, or when I activate Avenging Wrath (2min CD). So the ability that does the most damage for me I can only use at the end of combats or every 1.25 - 1.5 minutes (-3 seconds every Shield of Righteousness cast)

And this is coming from somebody who has soloed both layer 3’s with less than 10 anima powers at the final boss and absolutely no powers that increase my damage. I can do the current final layer, with or without anima powers, but anima powers should actually be useful.

P.S. I want to HAVE THE OPTION to run my 18 floors in a row and stack a whole bunch more BETTER powers over more floors. I LOVE roguelikes and was excited for Torghast after seeing people play it during beta. But now… I want to be in there as little as I possibly can. Torghast is beatable, yes, at least for me. But it is not enjoyable… At all.

We currently do not have access to Twisting Corridors, I do not know exactly when that does open.
If I recall correctly, Twisting Corridors will have 18 floors for 8 layers which I am hoping will lend itself to some more wacky synergies and power craziness. While it still isn’t the 72 floor run of beta, I am almost glad that I don’t have to run 36 floors per character this week.

While Shadowlands is out, we still aren’t at a point where everything is open to us. Hopefully we’ll be able to access Twisting Corridors soon to be able to start working towards those cosmetics and pets.

I actually got my first decent item, -1 cost for holy power abilities. Gives me faster damage and healing.

And to add another note to my previous comment. I get far worse anima powers when I’m with somebody else than when I’m by myself. Every time.

Better powers are mainly tied behind upgrades gotten from the maw you are able to get better powers on avg once you unlock everything.

While twisting corridors addresses many of your other points.

Alot of this seams to be things you should wait till unlocking the complete content before drawing a conclusion.

IMO there really just isn’t enough variety in Anima Powers right now to support a very long run. In the 18 floors of Twisting Corridors you would probably have every unique anima power by the end and only be getting boring +3% Mastery powers.

Doing 72 floors seems pointless if you end up having everything by floor 18.

I think part of this is that you’re a prot paladin… you guys are a tad overtuned right now :wink: You might find more enjoyment trying Torghast on another class for more challenge. When more layers open up, it might also be more interesting.

Having said that, I totally agree that it would be cool to have the option to just go ahead and continue your run, keeping the powers you have. I very much like how the layers are split, it means I have a stopping point and my runs don’t have to take 3+ hours. However, it’d be nice to have the option!

they need to add something more than just farming some currency and be done with it.

Maybe some rep or something.

They did add more including a mount pet title and toy. As well as the best place to infinitely farm stiga for socket on your gear and other uses.

Should read the other posts before commenting as the vary place to gather those was listed before. Furthermore it’s not a one of and done but unlimited farming in a given day if you wish.