Top/Bottom Of Play Screen Only Half-Visible

Okay, I think this may help us get to the heart of the problem…

First, this is an old (pre-smart) Sylvania TV. I do not know the model, but it has a remote, and when I press SOURCE, what comes up onscreen is the following:

TV, HDMI I, HDMI II , VIDEO and PC…

When I bought this machine about 5 months ago, I was unable to connect it the way one usually connects a monitor - with the multi-pronged plug into the multi-pronged receptacle on the back of the CPU. For some reason, it would not connect that way and show me a picture on the monitor, so what we did was use an HDMI cord from that port on the TV which then connected to the back of the CPU’s HDMI port. THAT is the way I can have this monitor function.

The previous connection (same TV) was by way of a normal monitor cord/plug from the TV into the back of the CPU using a gray-colored adapter which hooked first onto the CPU side of the cord (onto a blue plug) and then into the machine. In that way I had normal monitor function.

So… do you think that since I am connected via an HDMI cord into an HDMI setting rather than the PC setting, this is why I am unable to see all my icons normally at 1920x1080?

Thanks

Its very likely why its only allowing the lower resloution

Yes, I think so. There may be a setting on the tv to help mitigate that, but otherwise, it sounds like the solution is to get a dvi to VGA (white to blue) cable or a some such type of converter to get into the pc port on the back of the tv.

I will check into doing that and see what I can do to solve my resolution problem. Whether it works or not, it’s been really kind of all of you to help me out with this problem. It’s also good to know that despite my age, I can still understand most of what we’re discussing here. I credit this game with that. It requires you to react to cause and effect, and that’s not all that different from real life.

Thanks again, Zungar and everyone.

Bill

Today I ordered a 3 In 1 Displayport DP Male To HDMI/DVI/VGA Female Adapter Converter Cable 1080P . I am hoping this is what you were referring to. It was less than $10, so no big deal if it doesn’t work. Then there’s still the gaming monitor option as well.:smiley:

should work just fine

This adapter arrived today and it’s connections are:

1. The HDMI input cable (short-about 7 ")
  2. The adapter body has 3 inputs: VGA, HDMI and DVI

The whole thing is less than a foot in length, so I’ll need a normal monitor cable to come out of the adapter into the back of the computer - is this correct? There were no instructions with the adapter, so if there’s anything additional I need to do, may I impose once more to ask your help - if nothing else but to just confirm what I’ve written.

Thanks so much!

Bill

Yes. I think you’d want the VGA into the back of the tv, or dvi, if it has dvi, and then hdmi into the video card.

Depending on what it actually looks like, you may need able to unplug your existing hdmi from the tv, plug it into the adapter, and then plug into the tv.

Thank you.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the adapter wasn’t the answer, so I guess a “normal” gaming monitor is on the horizon. :slight_smile:

Looking back, the issue may be that the adapter is expecting hdmi input, and is not an actual digital/analog conversion process. If you got something like this

https://www.amazon.com/CABLEDECONN-Multi-Function-Displayport-Adapter-Converter/dp/B0192Y9XSE/

You need to make sure that the video card is connected to the Display port cable, and then run a VGA cable from the VGA out on the adapter to the VGA in on the TV.

Is that how you’re set up?

If you’re still using the hdmi in on the TV, you’ll have the same problem.

Zungar, I hope you see this. I would like to apologize to you for having seemingly ignored your posts and very kind help. At 70, I’m a bit older than the average player and am dealing with short-term memory loss. I just happened to review some of my activity here and saw where I had failed to respond to you and I am sorry about that.

The original problem solved itself with an NVidia update and I have been enjoying the game’s display normally since then.

In conclusion, let me once again thank you for your kind assistance and apologize for my lengthy absence here in ths thread.

1 Like